"Stellar Realms" - online gaming, with a twist.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:29 pm

It's kind of sad though the colective didn't put up much of a fight. Minus the initial levelling of planets no alliance member seemed to have been hit hard.

Come morning I should have 24 dreads and I need to send them somewhere because I'll probably incur negative income in 1800's from em.

So if any of you newcomers find your sabteurs send me a message in SR and I'll try and help you out once I finish leveling alliance enemies (not much left though).

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:09 am

rbrodka wrote:I was 11th for a while, but have fallen back to 12th, with ArraToise (Tibors) right behind me at 13th and moving up quickly.

Wave as you go past me, Tibors ! :D
Don't know if that is going to happen. Your prestige/turn is still slightly higher than mine. Not all battles result in positive prestige. If I hadn't massacred the Roman plebs, then I would be number 8 right now ;)

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:10 am

Well the universe ended and it looks like spcr made a very good showing in the top 10.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:36 am

Yeah, looks like we did alright.

I somehow ended up in 4th, after languishing in the middle of the pack for most of the round.

And I ended up tops in 3 categories! Looks like I am officially the King of the Turtles: Population, at a whopping 6.6 million, almost a million over #2. Credits, at an all time record of 17.4 million...more than double second place. And, I was the only planet to finish all the research, which is odd; last round a dozen planets got all 69 topics done. :lol:

How'd everyone else do?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:19 am

Thanks to Prince Volvo sponsoring the existence of my fleet in the last week, I made the nr. 10 spot at the last moment. I thought he gave me a lot of money, but looking at the graphs it looks like Where's Waldo donated about 2 million credits to Rusty :shock:

I made number two for the Combat Record. But since that includes scoutings, I don't think it means much.

B.T.W. Last round only two planets finished all research and only six planets finished everything except Planet V. Must have been another round where so many finished all, maybe the total Moavar round (round 8 ) ?

Edit: fixed an unwanted smiley.
Last edited by Tibors on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:09 am

yeah rusty that's some amazing resource management there. I never passed 3 million credits because the alure of a fleet was just too much.

Too bad in the end I was allied to pretty much everyone above me or they were from spcr so I got bored and payed all my old enimes visits, causing mickey to take out 6 of my starbases.

I think next round I"m gonna go for a role as a weapons mearchant.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:28 am

Tibors wrote:I thought he gave me a lot of money, but looking at the graphs it looks like Where's Waldo donated about 2 million credits to Rusty
Yeah, Waldo (aka ChucuSCAD here at SPCR) gave a little donation on his way out of galaxy. I picked up his credits and some of his pop to give his enemies less to gain when he surrendered. (giving your credits to an allie whe you surrender is a great trick to avoid having your enemies prosper.) In the end it turned out to be basically useless, since I still spent the last couple of centuries maxed out in population.

It was an interesting strategy, sorta the culmination of a couple of rounds of turtling. But man was it boring. Checked in every once in a while to start another research topic or build a new Hab, but that was about it.

I think I may have been thinking about the Deathmatch round where everyone finished the research....maybe...I dunno, that or the all-moavar (or almost) round.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 am

I couldn't spend much time visiting near the end, but one thing's clear; you can't make enough profit on materials to make it all worthwhile!

Now, what strategy to try next time?... find out in a couple of weeks!

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:56 pm

So, to sum it up, how did we fare? #4,8,9,10 and where did rbrodka finnish? 11? how about you DryFire? Starfish? I'd say we would give the rest of the galaxy a run for it's money (well, at least some of us has actually donated yet, me excluded:) if we wanted to...

Turtling can be done at least semi-efficiently even if one logs on about 5 times a week. Look at me, I ended up 9th without to actually doing anything, I never got any longer than PlanetIII. I guess I am split in this question, though. I think that a player who, like me, only logs during the weekdays should be able to have a nice round and be able to position themselves at least decently in the rankings, but also that the tremendous effort put in by people as Tibors and Wesley should pay off with a highranking position. Simply put, I didn't play well enough to hold the position I ended up in.

And to end it all with a question, I realise that my way of playing isn't the most optimal from a resource standpoint... I never realy got more than 500k credits and the first time I got it it slowly bleed out of my planet until I was below 30k... How can I manage my economy better?

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:09 am

Well I ended up 13th in pretige but in the top ten a few other places. However I did a lot of stupid things and had a large fleet sitting at home for long periods without anything for them to do.

Rusty was was your net income per turn? I'm sure you could of ammassed a fleet that would make even the most heavily defended planet cry.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:06 am

DryFire wrote:Rusty was was your net income per turn? I'm sure you could of ammassed a fleet that would make even the most heavily defended planet cry.
About $13000 per turn. :lol: Yeah, I could have supported quite a fleet, but that would have been against the whole philosophy of the round. As long as I had no military at all, it was really hard for anyone to justify attacking me.

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:02 am

Tobias wrote:So, to sum it up, how did we fare? #4,8,9,10 and where did rbrodka finnish? 11? how about you DryFire? Starfish? I'd say we would give the rest of the galaxy a run for it's money (well, at least some of us has actually donated yet, me excluded:) if we wanted to...
Technically, you could add #3 to the list - I am an occasional lurker here at SCPR and this thread is where I heard about Stellar Realms. Played a true turtle (with a hard shell) this round. Also had a nice little agent routine going with Ohmm. I played as Lave this round. Not sure what I'll do next round - I could do with exploring the maths behind combat a bit though....

I'll also try to get a few more from players MURC (used to be called Matrox Users Resource Centre, but we downplay the Matrox link now for, er, obvious reasons...) which is the only online forum I play a more active role in. Already got one for the last round, and we'll see if I can add a few more for the next round.

Gnep/Commander Jameson :)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:25 am

And he definately forgot #1. Straker is a long time member of SPCR.

So that makes the list 1,3,4,8,9,10,11,13,23,.....

We should watch out unless we scare the rest away ;)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:38 am

Just floating an idea here....

How many SPCR'ers are planning on playing next round? And for those that are, how many would be interested in having a by-invitation-only private forum in which to discuss strategy far from the prying eyes of other players? I don't have anything planned, but am just thinking out loud. There is at least one other group of players that have their own private forum for SR discussions, of which Vork is even a member, so I'm certain that no one would consider it cheating.

Thoughts?

rbrodka
Patron of SPCR

Post by rbrodka » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:57 am

Hello Planeteers !

Prince Volvo and the friendly peace-loving planet of Ohmm will be back next round, as will the analysis site. :shock:
Gnep wrote:... Also had a nice little agent routine going with Ohmm. I played as Lave this round....
Commander Jameson, how nice to finally meet you! I really enjoyed our exchanges throughout the last round!

Tibors wrote:Thanks to Prince Volvo sponsoring the existence of my fleet in the last week, I made the nr. 10 spot at the last moment.
Actually, after Tibors passed me in the rankings, he sent me a very nice note stating that I would soon pass him as he could not afford to maintain his fleet, and very graciously offered to help me get into the top ten. Since I did not have much prestige growth left, I thought he had a better chance at making the top ten than I did, so he agreed to accept my meager financial support so he could keep his fleet.

Rusty075 wrote:Just floating an idea here....
Rusty, I would be very interested in a private forum for discussing strategy. I could even set it up and host it on the web if desired.

Looking forward to Round 11 !!! :D

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:32 pm

Well, I came into SR more than halfway through. I actually broke into the top 50 in prestige (#49) and in the 20's for population and credits. I made the top 10 for combats and agents, but my denominators were pretty small. Not bad for a beginner, though. I was playing CarTalk Central (Click-N-Clack).

I'll be there again, though under a different persona and with a real strategy next time. I'd be interested in a SPCR/SR forum. 'Twas rather, strangely, addicting.

BTW, Starfish, the markets went berzerk during the last 20 years. I sold my extra metals at quite a tidy sum. However, I agree that most of the time, the markets were not very profitable for raw materials.

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:06 pm

Yes, I would be interested. Excellent idea (even if you don't know who the heck I am!)
rbrodka wrote:Commander Jameson, how nice to finally meet you! I really enjoyed our exchanges throughout the last round!
Yup was good fun... must do it again some time. And may I thank you personally for your stats site? It's an excellent addition and replaced spreadsheets that ended up getting rather too big last round :)

Gnep

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:32 pm

Thoughts?
I'm for it. I'm looking forward to doing some real damage next round. How about we shoot for a top 10 soley of spcr players?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:24 pm

I bailed out midway through this round. I took a week off to do the AIDS Lifecycle ride and just couldn't get my interest back for the game.

Just let me say that I'm glad everyone is enjoying SR, and I'm amazed at how much its grown with folks from here and friends that you've brought in.

Oh, and the 'other forum' that Rusty mentioned... I'm a part of that one, along with Vorkuta. Its actually a guild comprised of folks that have gamed together online (mostly in Everquest) for many years now. Vorkuta first introduced SR to us a couple years ago, and its expanded and grown since then.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:24 pm

DryFire wrote:

Thoughts?
I'm for it. I'm looking forward to doing some real damage next round. How about we shoot for a top 10 soley of spcr players?
I'm definately up for that! It would be very nice also if we could make the purpose of age 11 that an attacker be #1 and not a turtle?

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:17 pm

Planet registration is now up.

Looks like moavar and rool got a small nerfing.

And what about that private forum? :wink:

Straker

Post by Straker » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:11 pm

yeah, haven't been here in a few weeks. a forum for us would be nice, I've allied with or at least refrained from attacking everyone I knew to be from SPCR out of principle.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:49 am

I'm for it. I'm looking forward to doing some real damage next round.
A forum would be great.

I'll be sitting peaceful for most of the round. But I'll be aiming to become the turtle-squasher at the end. This time I'm not playing for top 10, but I should be able to knock off the top turtlers if my plan goes well. I'd be happy if some of you could back me up on the finance side of things when the time comes :)

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:55 am

I've signed up again... whoops!

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:12 am

I've created a new planet. But I am a little harder to find this round, as I didn't use my usual name.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:47 am

Mine is 'Omicron Persei 8'. I don't intend to use my mighty force yet, but time will tell... if anyone needs some powerful ships, though ;)

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:24 pm

Hogwarts here (since my offspring has deigned to lend me the latest book). I've decided to change planet names, but post under my "own" login in the forums. I'll be away from computers toward the end of this round (yay, vacation), so it doesn't matter as much for stealth.

Gnep

Post by Gnep » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:22 am

And we're off! :)

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:10 pm

wow things feel so slow at the beginning of the round.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:26 pm

It didn't help that we started late :P