The Dictator is Hanged...

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

The Dictator is Hanged...

Post by Bluefront » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:46 am

Good riddance ......and I'm certain everyone is better off now. To me this serves as an example why the death penalty is necessary. What purpose would it have served to keep him alive? His trial was relatively fast and just. The sentence was carried out swiftly, and surely.....serving as a perfect example of what should happen to murderers.

Now we can move on without fear the dictator can return to hurt humanity any further.......a lesson to be learned here for all of us.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:24 am

Killing Saddam isn't going to stop the sectarian violence which is seeing scores of Iraqis dying on a daily basis, nor is it a particularly good example of the efficacy of the death penalty; you can hardly claim the death penalty has a deterrent effect in this instance, I don't see Mugabe or Kim Jong Il suddenly crawling to the international community begging for forgiveness. On top of that, you are simply creating another martyr to join the pantheon of Islamist terrorists already so enshrined; well done for creating another shahid for the insurgents to revere.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:24 am

The Dictator is Hanged...and hypocrisy prevail on earth.

nick705

Re: The Dictator is Hanged...

Post by nick705 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 am

Bluefront wrote:What purpose would it have served to keep him alive?
To prove that we're better than he was.

What does "relatively just" mean, anyway?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:35 am

Hello,

He was convicted on one relatively small case of murder. All the other people affected by his killing many, many other people will never get to have their cases heard.

He was one small, angry, man, and now he is dead. Some will rejoice, some will rally around...an era has past. Though it won't solve anything to have him dead. We (the USA) used to support him, and now we have caused his downfall and death, and we are still in the mire.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:50 am

...or is he? :lol:

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:16 am

May Saddam find the embers comfortable. 8)

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:05 am

Yuck. I'd like to keep as much distance between myself and any political killings, thank you very much.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:33 pm

as soon as i saw the thread title i knew in an instant it would be bluefront :P ..without reading it obviously

i just hope that now his doubles can live a peaceful and happy life free from the fear of being mistaken for Saddam. maybe they could host a game show in japan.. perhaps star in a Hollywood movie about Saddam's life?
To me this serves as an example why the death penalty is necessary. What purpose would it have served to keep him alive?
i love the angle u come at stuff
--- "Death penalty - why not??"

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:02 pm

Bluefront wrote:Good riddance ......and I'm certain everyone is better off now. To me this serves as an example why the death penalty is necessary. What purpose would it have served to keep him alive? His trial was relatively fast and just. The sentence was carried out swiftly, and surely.....serving as a perfect example of what should happen to murderers.

Now we can move on without fear the dictator can return to hurt humanity any further.......a lesson to be learned here for all of us.
How does executing Saddam change anything going on in Iraq? What positive benefit does it have?

If your answer is that "we can move on without fear the dictator can return," that's sort of ridiculous, because the probability of Saddam returning to power was somewhere between zero and not-a-chance-in-hell.

This is not a good example of why the death penalty is "necessary."

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:34 am

Killing and murder was a way of life for Saddam.....his end was predictable. I'm afraid that the details of the hanging, as they are becoming known, will further the civil conflict raging in that insane country. He was tried, sentenced, and hanged under the laws of Iraq.......by Iraq citizens. The USA caught the man. Iraq did the rest.

The world is safer without the man......his end was well-deserved.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:35 am

So instead of being remembered as a mass murderer, the lasting image will be of a man who faced his death with courage and dignity while the "good guys" acted like a bunch of Al-Qaeda rabble hacking off the head of a hostage.

I'm sure we've all learned a valuable lesson from that, peace will prevail and murderers everywhere will be given pause for thought. :roll:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:27 am

Lessons to be learned? Murderers are always punished, either in this life or the next.....if not in either, by his name, cursed forever by his victims.

loz

Post by loz » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:18 am

A great loss for History...

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Okay, this might not have too much progmatic benefit, but it's nothing to complain about either, this is premarily Iraq's bussiness, they undoubtedly wanted him dead very much, and their feelings are easily understandable.

gasganet

Post by gasganet » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:42 pm

Nothing justifies the murder of a human being.
Those who killed him are no better than he was.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Who is no better than he was? The hangman? The judges? The prosecution? Shite iraqis?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:28 pm

IMHO....you lose your humanity when you become a murderer. Saddam was a rabid animal, completely deserving of his fate. To call the administration of justice........murder, is insane.

loz

Post by loz » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:48 pm

mathias wrote:Okay, this might not have too much progmatic benefit, but it's nothing to complain about either, this is premarily Iraq's bussiness, they undoubtedly wanted him dead very much, and their feelings are easily understandable.
What are your sources ?
From here I just don't have any reliable media speaking iraki people voice...

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:41 pm

This is a difficult subject to approach.

I think that Saddam deserved to be hung, but it was irresponsible to hang him as his death in this way will only make matters worse in and around Iraq.

There were threats immediately, and they will be carried out by a bunch of nutters, and possibly outside of Iraq as well.

Keeping him locked up until he rots would have been a much better idea, and would have saved hundereds or even thousands of lives in the long term.

On the other paw, the death pennalty by hanging is what the Iraqi government chose to be the penalty for murder, and not hanging Saddam would have caused lots of arguments, but few if any deaths.

Overall, leaving him to rot behind bars for the rest of his years would have been the only real solution for Iraq as a whole.

On the other paw just sticking him in jail forever without a trial would have saved the lives of numerous lawyers that have been murdered during his trial......................... then again was that so bad :wink:

Andy

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:49 pm

Bluefront wrote: The world is safer without the man
How is the world safer than when Hussein was rotting in a jail cell? I'll answer for you: it is not. There would have been no difference to the rest of the world if he lived the rest of his life in prison, or hung.

To quote The Economist:
The Economist wrote:Many legal and human-rights lobbyists in the West say that the imperfections of the Dujail trial have been so serious that the verdict should be set aside and Mr Hussein should be tried again in an independent international tribunal whose proceedings would be beyond reproach. This newspaper thinks the verdict should stand, but the punishment should not. That is chiefly because capital punishment is wrong in itself, even for monsters like Mr Hussein. Showing greater respect for human life than he ever did would have represented a rare moral victory for Iraq's occupiers. Keeping Mr Hussein alive would also allow other trials detailing far greater evils than Dujail to be completed—such as the one, already begun, in which he stands accused of instigating the so-called Anfal campaign against Iraq's Kurds, in which more than 100,000 people may have been killed and millions uprooted.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:13 am

Deal with reality......as long as Saddam was in US hands, there was little/no chance he would be set free. But....the USA will be out of Iraq shortly. Who could have / would have been willing to safely keep him behind bars? The unstability of Iraq politics, along with the real possibility of total chaos when the USA leaves, gives no guarantee he would not be set free again.

Saddam had to die......

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:56 am

Bluefront wrote: Saddam had to die......
Too right he did. If he hadn't been executed with indecent haste, and had been tried for everything else he was accused of, the full scale of the West's complicity in his crimes would have become glaringly apparent.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/fis ... 114403.ece

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:11 am

Bluefront wrote:Good riddance ......and I'm certain everyone is better off now. To me this serves as an example why the death penalty is necessary. What purpose would it have served to keep him alive? His trial was relatively fast and just. The sentence was carried out swiftly, and surely.....serving as a perfect example of what should happen to murderers.

Texas has the highest number of executions per state by far, and yet there are several states that have murder rates lower than Texas that do not have the death penalty.

One thing the death penalty does is to allow the person to kill at will with no repercussions after the first murder.

I see you do not understand the phrase "rotting in jail" and "death is too good for him". Why is that?

And for the real question who has killed more innocents in Iraq? Saddam or GWB??? Please gives us now one of two speeches. The "ends justify the means" speech or the "two wrongs make a right" speech.
Last edited by aristide1 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:13 am

the USA will be out of Iraq shortly.
And we live by the Constitution.

Hey Tooth Fairy, where are you?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:49 pm

Bluefront wrote:To call the administration of justice........murder, is insane.
Was not Hussein an administrator of justice when he killed his thousands? A very corrupt and ugly justice to be sure, but it's impossible to deny that, while he was in power, he had the authority to do things like order a death in the name of justice.

Hussein has just been killed because the way he administered justice was deemed to be murder. You have made it clear that you do not disagree with the verdict. If you want me to accept what you said above, you will simultaneously convince me that you are insane, by your own words.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Saddam was tried and convicted by about as fair a procedure as you'll ever find in the middle-east. The sentence was legal under the laws of Iraq.

Saddam's own form of justice involved murdering, killing whoever displeased him any particular day. Not much justice here.

And guess what......we finally found those elusive WMDs. The weapon of mass destruction was the administration of justice by Saddam. So in the end, our reason for invading Iraq, was correct after all. The weapon, now hanged, was Saddam himself.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:38 pm

loz wrote:What are your sources ?
From here I just don't have any reliable media speaking iraki people voice...
Here's some.
Devonavar wrote:Was not Hussein an administrator of justice when he killed his thousands?
Saddam was an administrator of law, not everyone agrees that that's synonymous with justice.

I wonder, those of you who are so troubled by saddam's execution, would you shed a tear if dubya snuffed it?

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:14 pm

mathias wrote:I wonder, those of you who are so troubled by saddam's execution, would you shed a tear if dubya snuffed it?
If Dubya snuffed it, Cheney would become President. So yes.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Very well then, lets assume that chenney would get a heart attack from seeing dubya's head splatter like a watermellon. Or that this hypothetical assasin would get both of them.