The Dictator is Hanged...

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 pm

Would the hypothetical assassination take place before or after the House Speaker-elect gets sworn in?

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:01 pm

I don't know, let's just say it would take place at such a time as to minimize pragmatic effects.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:20 pm

qviri wrote:
mathias wrote:I wonder, those of you who are so troubled by saddam's execution, would you shed a tear if dubya snuffed it?
If Dubya snuffed it, Cheney would become President. So yes.
You didn't notice? The US has been a puppet regime since 2000.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:56 pm

mathias wrote:Saddam was an administrator of law, not everyone agrees that that's synonymous with justice.
I completely agree; law is not justice. This is what I was trying to drive home, but I see that I did not make my point completely. You're picking semantics with what was meant to be an ironic comment. Of course Saddam was an administrator of law, and of course "true" justice suffered for it. That doesn't change the fact that some called it justice because it was grounded in law. Yet we all agree that this "administration of justice" was murder.

Yet, when the administration of law gives Saddam the death penalty and someone suggests that this was tantamount to murder, how is it that this exercise of law is suddenly unquestionably just and beyond question?

I disagreed with Bluefront's comment because it illustrated exactly the flaw that you and Bluefront have pointed out in response to my own post: It confuses a decision of law for a decision of justice. Whoever suggested that killing Saddam was murder probably does not agree that the killing was "the administration of justice"! To refine Bluefront's words a bit, murder and justice are mutually exclusive. When Bluefront called the murder comment insane, he was (deliberately?) misunderstanding the original sentiment, which called the administration of law murder.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:46 pm

I disagree. Justice does not derive from law, law is an attempt to formalize and standardise justice, or at least that's what it's supposed to be in theory. Our sense of justice derives from instincts, religion, and so on. Even if it was against the law, most people would still classify punishing saddam, by whichever means possible, as justice.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Justice is not about revenge. Killing Saddam is dinosaur behavior. Capital punishment have no place in a democratic state at all. Furthermore does article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other UN articles affirm the right of everyone (incl. even killers like Saddam and Bush) to life.

Capital punishment on TV (many have broadcasted it) is perverse at best and makes me think about Paul Verhoeven's Starship Troopers with the infomercial saying: "Execution tonight at eight.. All nets.. All channels.. :) Would you like to know more?"

As long as there is oil in the middle east there will be no peace. If not local tyrants do the killing, greedy foreign powers are lined up to give a "helping" hand. We will see many oil wars in the next 10 years or so before it runs out. Meantime people in these nations will keep on paying for our greed, lusts and mistakes.
Last edited by Poodle on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:03 am

Bluefront wrote: And guess what......we finally found those elusive WMDs. The weapon of mass destruction was the administration of justice by Saddam. So in the end, our reason for invading Iraq, was correct after all. The weapon, now hanged, was Saddam himself.
If you dare, I would like to see you charging for glory on a battlefield in N. Korea which have both a murdering dictator and real WMDs. But yes no oil interests... That s why you haven't invaded that country, and even more becuase you would get your buts kicked really hard trying. It's sad to see how fooled you are by the media.

Did you know btw that Saddam got the plans to the Chemical wheapons factories from an AMERICAN company via Dick Cheney? It was wheapons from these factories that were used on the Kurds. You won't see reports like that on Fox or CNN.

It's easy to sit home in your sofa applauding war and death. You should lend some thoughts from 9/11 to the Vietnam vets and worry about real dangers to the people in your country, like the environment, unemployment, bad health and fascist laws like the "patriotic act" instead of terrorists. That is what a real patriot would do.

Fat from diery products and meat is the biggest killer in the US. So start worrying... You are good at that. :)

chirphappy

Post by chirphappy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:49 am

Fat from diery products and meat is the biggest killer in the US. So start worrying... You are good at that. :)
Of course, it's what we've been brainwashed and trained to do. :shock:

Japesgalore

Post by Japesgalore » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:15 am

Good summaries there Poodle. Keep telling it how it is, for a spade is a spade, after all!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:01 am

Humm....chomping on a small salad and sipping a cup of tea. Sorry... who would have thought..... The execution of a real mass murderer by the relatives of his victims, would elicit so many expressions of sorrow. So society becomes the tyrant when it rids itself of a cancer.

Poor Saddam.....maybe some wag at the UN will nominate him for a Nobel peace prize, maybe pay his relatives reparations for the grave injustice done the man.

Rot in Hell Saddam.....you put yourself there.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:52 am

Looking at this from a different angle, would anyone be upset if Bush was tried and hanged for crimes against humanity.???

I would be just as happy as when Saddam went bungee jumping, likewise Blair.

Andy

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:02 am

Bluefront wrote:The execution of a real mass murderer by the relatives of his victims, would elicit so many expressions of sorrow. So society becomes the tyrant when it rids itself of a cancer.

Poor Saddam.....maybe some wag at the UN will nominate him for a Nobel peace prize, maybe pay his relatives reparations for the grave injustice done the man.

sigh... are you ever going to take this on board:

opposition to judicial killing != sympathy for murderers

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: The Dictator is Hanged...

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:50 am

aristide1 wrote:And for the real question who has killed more innocents in Iraq? Saddam or GWB??? Please gives us now one of two speeches. The "ends justify the means" speech or the "two wrongs make a right" speech.
I guess the speech writer on vacation? Maybe at the undisclosed location?

Which is it BF?

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:07 am

But why concern yourself so much about saddam's execution and not about all the other executions currently scheduled? Because other people welcome the executions?

Has everyone here even heard of the planned execution of five bulgarian nurses and one palestinian doctor to make them scapegoats for poor hospital hygiene?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:27 am

mathias wrote:I disagree. Justice does not derive from law, law is an attempt to formalize and standardise justice, or at least that's what it's supposed to be in theory. Our sense of justice derives from instincts, religion, and so on. Even if it was against the law, most people would still classify punishing saddam, by whichever means possible, as justice.
No, we agree. I didn't say justice derives from law. I said "some called it justice because it was grounded in law. More specifically, Bluefront called this lawful execution justice, and then got upset when others called it murder, not justice. Saddam's execution was an exercise of law — this is beyond question. What's at question is whether it was just. That's far from uncontroversial, but it's not relevant to my point, because all I'm doing is pointing out that Bluefront is making a mistake by assuming that the execution was unquestionably just.

You're ignoring the irony that is inherent to my argument (the irony that nobody who's thinking straight should make the mistakes you're accusing me of), so you're missing the fact that I'm saying exactly what you're saying. I just want you to accept that the flaw that you see in "my" argument is in fact a flaw in Bluefront's argument.
But why concern yourself so much about saddam's execution and not about all the other executions currently scheduled?
Because this particular thread is on the topic of Saddam's execution, not execution in general. We've had that discussion already.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:09 am

No, bluefront didn't say why he considered killing saddam justice. Just that it was just and lawful. I would consider it more likely that it was just and unlawful than that it was lawful but unjust. If you want to call it barbaric, fine, even barbarians would have considered saddam a monster. If anything was unjust, it's that all the assasination attempts on him had failed.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:49 pm

I don't think it matters why Bluefront considers the killing just. What matters is that he assumed that the person who called the killing murder would agree with him on that point. His comment essentially boils down to yelling at someone because that person doesn't agree that the execution was just, suggesting that whoever doesn't agree that it was just must be insane. The comment basically says that he's not willing to consider the possibility that the execution was unjust. Before I got sidetracked by you, Mathias, I was just attempting to point out that it was that exact attitude that allowed Saddam to engineer his killings in the first place.

PS: I have said nothing whatsoever about whether *I* think the execution was just or barbaric. Please don't assume that my position is the opposite of yours just because I am arguing with you. So far, all I have been trying to do is point out that Bluefront is arguing unfairly. I am still a long way from making my mind up about whether the execution was just.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:27 pm

Changing the subject a little.

Exactly how was a guard present at Saddams hanging allowed to take a mobile phone into the execution room, and why were the guards taunting and verbally abusing him moments prior to his death.???

A guard is now being questioned. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 229097.stm

The video that the guard took was executed very poorly (pune intended), and you dont actually get to see him hang, but seeing him drop and the rope going taught when he dissapears from view both sends a shiver down my spine and makes me happy to know that he really is dead, and he got what he deserved.

As far as "just" is concerned, the entire Iraq war was unjust, but whether the trial was just or not is a moot point as he was guilty regardless of how the trial was conducted.

And again I will say that he deserved death, but that he should not have been killed as this will lead to even more Iraqi's dying needlesly.

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Poodle wrote:
If you dare, I would like to see you charging for glory on a battlefield in N. Korea which have both a murdering dictator and real WMDs. But yes no oil interests... That s why you haven't invaded that country, and even more becuase you would get your buts kicked really hard trying. It's sad to see how fooled you are by the media.
And also Sudan and their genocide. It appears people without control of oil have no human rights.
Did you know btw that Saddam got the plans to the Chemical wheapons factories from an AMERICAN company via Dick Cheney? It was wheapons from these factories that were used on the Kurds. You won't see reports like that on Fox or CNN.
Fox publish that? You've got to be joking.
It's easy to sit home in your sofa applauding war and death. You should lend some thoughts from 9/11 to the Vietnam vets and worry about real dangers to the people in your country, like the environment, unemployment, bad health and fascist laws like the "patriotic act" instead of terrorists. That is what a real patriot would do.
For some party loyality and corporate profits are the end all of patriotism.
Guess who I am referring to?
But we have corporate profits here so that killing doesn't count.

Any facts you would like to add BF?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Here is a joke (but a true one).

How do we know that Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction.

We kept the reciepts.

Andy

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:57 pm

andyb wrote:Here is a joke (but a true one).

How do we know that Iraq has Weapons of Mass Destruction.

We kept the reciepts.

Andy
IE how many American GIs were killed by Iranians with American supplied conventions sent there by Bush Sr. <- The fastest way to get silence from the neocons.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:42 am

There are a lot of politicians of the past that have a lot of blame for the rise of Saddam and Osama Bin Liner. Funding and arming a leader of a country/group/faction that you have no real control over can bite you in the arse many years later. America, Britain, France, Russia, and many other countries should not stay blameless for their past actions. They should not of course be blamed entirely as no-one could have predicted what the consequences would be years later, but they should accept some responsibility and stop passing the blame on in full.

What happened with Sadam and Osama will almost certainly happen again in the future, when some dumb twat of a politician pulls some strings and gets a country involved in something they shouldnt, or in a way that they shouldnt.

Saddam was always a monster, we just gave him money and guns and ignored everything he did that was bad, and we have now let the Iraqi government hang him years after helping him fight a war against Iran.

Osama is the western worlds pet hate at the moment (apart from Muslims, the USA and the UK), years after funding and arming him to fight the Russians during the cold war, and it is claimed that he is the instigator behind the World Trade Center attacks. But how can I believe that to be true as its coming from the same people who said that we should go to war with Iraq, that there are WMD's, and that its not about the oil.

Andy

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:01 am

I think Sadam is hanging out with Ken Lay in Switzerland.

mr lahey

Post by mr lahey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:08 am

and it is claimed that he is the instigator behind the World Trade Center attacks. But how can I believe that to be true as its coming from the same people who said that we should go to war with Iraq, that there are WMD's, and that its not about the oil.
http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2 ... o-911.html

Did I hear an independent thought alarm go off? :shock: Careful there Andy. You’re in violation of the Patriot Act.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:09 am

Patriot act......... I have no idea what that is, and I really dont care anyway.

And in any case, my point was not that I dont believe that Osama planned the attacks, but how can I believe what the US government say, when the same people have lied so many times.

Andy

whiic

Post by whiic » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:10 am

I consider the capital punishment Saddam Hussein received justice. Nothing less would not have been true justice. Except maybe some sharp objects under fingernails but I bet UN's Human Rights would have something to object to that as well.

Saddam was tried, sentenced and executed in Iraq by the Iraqi. If what happened was not justice, then what would have been? International justice? Like justice Augusto Pinochet received? Or what Slobodan Milosevic received?

People have been killed due to religion, race, etc. yet we object on death sentence of a mass murderer? Why are we so conserned about "unjustified murder" (=death sentence) of people who commit genocide, but not interested of the genocide itself? Did they receive a fair trial? Even an unfair one? AFAIK, some people got shot on sight.

mr lahey

Post by mr lahey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:47 am

andyb wrote:Patriot act......... I have no idea what that is, and I really dont care anyway.
You know, NSA spying and such. And those who oppose it will be mailed anthrax. :roll:

loz

Post by loz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:05 am

whiic wrote:Why are we so conserned about "unjustified murder" (=death sentence) of people who commit genocide, but not interested of the genocide itself?
Tell me who is concerned about Saddam's murder and not about genocide here ? Who ?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:19 am

andyb wrote:Patriot act......... I have no idea what that is, and I really dont care anyway.
Wiretapping without a warrant, etc. We lost more civil rights than the Iraqi's gained. That's the administrations way of spreading democracy.
Did I hear an independent thought alarm go off? Careful there Andy. You’re in violation of the Patriot Act.
If that remark doesn't sum up the US for the last 6 years I don't know what does.

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:57 am

nick705 wrote:
Bluefront wrote:The execution of a real mass murderer by the relatives of his victims, would elicit so many expressions of sorrow. So society becomes the tyrant when it rids itself of a cancer.

sigh... are you ever going to take this on board:

opposition to judicial killing != sympathy for murderers
It’s amazing how many people do not seem to understand that it is entirely possible to simultaneously hold the belief that a person deserves to die with the belief that executing him is wrong. The question of what punishment a person deserves on the basis of his actions is entirely separate from the question of how I should act with regard to him – his actions do not automatically justify mine. For the record, I believe that the contempt for human life that the death penalty represents demeans and diminishes the society that allows it, and actually damages the people who practise it. That doesn’t mean that I believe that there is no-one in this world who deserves to die – there are, and Saddam was definitely one of them.

The distinction between what is just and what is moral is the entire basis of the New Testament – the idea that forgiveness and mercy are more important than justice is the most revolutionary part of Christ’s message, IMHO. Now, I’m not a Christian, so I don’t entirely believe that, but it does provide a very old precedent for the idea that it can be morally wrong to inflict a punishment that is actually regarded as just.