What is your least favorite noise[?]

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:00 pm

It depends on the situation I'm in.

I can be very bothered by loud cars, but I love to watch Top Gear and listen to the sound most cars there make.

Sometimes when a motorbike drives past me at 13,000 rpm, preferably when I least expect it, is startling to say the least. But when I drove my bike at high revs I was utterly happy. Still have a recording of the sound here :)

Loud music can be annoying (mostly when you only hear the bass droning) but when dancing, it is almost obligatory.

Chalk on a schoolboard yea, but my dad can't stand the noise a scrapy knife makes on a plate (very similar) but I always try anyway.

Children or birds: the happy cheers little children make, or better yet a laughing baby is music to my ears most of the time. I'm not sure when the cheering starts to become yelling.

Movie sounds, the same: can be annoying if it's coming from next door, but when you're actually watching the movie yourself, it immerses you. I'm not sure at what sound level cinemas play but it definately doesn't annoy me, but I think it would if it was coming from a house accross from where I live.

Once again, "Einstein's relativity theory" seems to be correct.
When focussing on something, even birds can be annoying. If you don't feel well, almost everything seems to be too much.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:23 pm

I can be very bothered by loud cars, but I love to watch Top Gear and listen to the sound most cars there make.
There is a big difference between the feline roar of say, a Ferrari Enzo being redlined and the flatulent squelch of a Vauxhall Corsa with a rasberry exhaust. It is the difference between classical music and drum 'n' bass. :lol:

Also, you can always turn off Top Gear if you want; not so with the other guys noisy exhaust.

Generally noise you are in control of is not bothersome; it is uncontrollable noise (jackhammers, crying babies, noisy car stereos, etc) that is totally disrupting of concentration and mental equilibrium (ha, if any of us on SPCR have this! :P ).

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:37 pm

jaganath wrote:mental equilibrium (ha, if any of us on SPCR have this! :P ).
I have excellent mental equilibrium Image

nici

Post by nici » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:59 am

spookmineer wrote: I can be very bothered by loud cars, but I love to watch Top Gear and listen to the sound most cars there make.

Sometimes when a motorbike drives past me at 13,000 rpm, preferably when I least expect it, is startling to say the least. But when I drove my bike at high revs I was utterly happy. Still have a recording of the sound here :)
New Top Gear episode tomorrow :)
Children or birds: the happy cheers little children make, or better yet a laughing baby is music to my ears most of the time. I'm not sure when the cheering starts to become yelling.
The noise of children cheering gets annoying when they do it inside a school with terrible acoustics, im talking all hard surfaces and long corridors. Most schools are horrible acoustically, with hard floors and brick walls and long corridors. The dentist is in one of these schools. New schools are better though, but still not as good as wooden schools older than a hundred years :P

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:31 am

nici, what does your sig say? something about "1 peppercorn, 2 peppercorn, 3..., 4..., 5..., 6..."?

nici

Post by nici » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:24 am

One peppercorn in a copper kettle, and so on. :) It's in Swedish.