Blackbirds at 3am

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:39 am

This would explain the bastards making noise in the middle of the night, its actually us humans that are the cause :x

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6591649.stm

Andy

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:01 am

Start shooting people! :D

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 am

Start shooting people! Very Happy
No comment.............

Andy

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:33 am

andyb wrote:
No comment.............
Don't want to incriminate yourself? :lol:

regal196

Post by regal196 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:22 pm

andyb wrote:
No comment.............

Andy
I am with andyb on this one. You throw the first stone.

-Pennell

*quietly loads shotgun*

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:46 pm

Sorry... I don't own a shooting device, and once I fall asleep, fire alarms have difficulty waking me up, let alone birds.

Meato

Post by Meato » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:58 am

andyb wrote:This is what they look like over my way.
I like how everyone was posting the really photographic pictures of their type of Magpie.. then Andy busts out the "Here is my latest kill, belly-up in the front lawn!"

That really cracked me up.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:41 am

Meato wrote:
andyb wrote:This is what they look like over my way.
I like how everyone was posting the really photographic pictures of their type of Magpie.. then Andy busts out the "Here is my latest kill, belly-up in the front lawn!"

That really cracked me up.
Lol, that was clean kill. We had troubles with pidgeons and other flying "vermins" in storage-yard-used-to-be-stable (time before all artillery was changed into motorized) So our Lieutenant used RK ( modified AK-47 with famous M/43: 7,62x39mm ) to shoot those things.

And guess who got to clean carcasses and patch the the roof since bullet went straight thru the roof aswell. Luckily he changed into .22 later.

You can just imagine what kind mess comes with military grade bullet meets a bird :P. I never knew field medics job description was to clean dead animals off the area, but appareantly since there was "biological contanimantion danger" only authorized personal was allowed to go clean those things. I.E. Medics like me :P

P.S. I still would have liked to take my "soldiers bride" with me when I got out army, but they never let me. That sucks. In here I would have used "her" to silence those nasty black birds etc, instead using my airsoft rifle. But I guess Airsoft rifle is cleaner and more silent way.

kater

Post by kater » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:54 am

I hate f... pigeons. Loud, dirty, lustful*. Pigeons nesting in blocks of flats can be a real problem cause they spread diseases - some kind of parasites. The bastards like to walk the streets of the housing estate where I live and only fly up and run away in the very last moment when you think you've hit them. Lotsa drivers developed a stupid habit of braking so as not to hit them. You drive behind a bastard like that an he hits anchors and you'd better not be tailgating him. Naturally, when I see a pigeon on the tarmac I hit the proper pedal - so far I've managed to run over 3 birds. Unfortunately, the sods are pretty quick and escape most of the time. But I'm getting a new car soon and it'll have more oomph so they'd better watch out.

* Very much like majority of us, humans.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:13 am

Bah, it's not like humans stop blah-blah-ing in the night. They just do it in bars and clubs, and not in trees.

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:25 am

Magpies maybe the bane of your life waking you up at 4 in the morning, but the bird that really annoys me is Pigeons.
There cooing has many a time lost me sleep as they nest hidden in a conifer tree and perch on one of our chimneys (we have 3).
If I had a guyn, I would shoot them, thank god they are classed as Vermin!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 am

I think it's magpies that are always attacking my parents' cats. Those things are territorial and aggressive.

I've never tried to shoot one, but they really had a good time when one of the cats lost his sight. Supposedly, before he learned to stay in a safe zone, you'd see this blind cat running and then he'd hit something lol... Don't look to me to have mercy for a magpie.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Gojira-X

This is the UK air-rifle law, and at the botom lists what you can kill with the land owners permission - all forms of Pigeons are allowed, just be careful.

http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/gunlaw.htm

But you are not allowed to kill Sparrows they were removed from the list in 2004, and Starlings are in serious decline so thats not advised.

If you want an air rifle and are old enough to own one, and have permission from whoever owns your house (if you dont) have a look at the link below.

http://www.airguns-online.co.uk/air_rifles.htm

They are dirt cheap, I wouldnt reccomend a gas powered rifle unless you are going to do a lot (more than just a few pigeons) of shooting, the .177 or .22 question I cant answer. You probably dont need an optical sight if they are on your roof - I have hit magpies at 150ft with iron sights. Make sure its as close to the 12LB/ft limit as possible, you dont want to injure the things you want them to die on the spot. Air pistols are far less accurate and have just half the power, so dont bother with a pistol.

I dont have pigeon problems, but I can tell you they are dead easy targets unlike Magpies, who vanish when you get within 100ft of them (they do with me anyway :twisted: ).

Andy

PS: I just googled and posted the first link - no idea if they are a good company.