only music may quench the drone

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mike961734

only music may quench the drone

Post by mike961734 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:34 am

As I sit in my dorm with dual box fans and duke ellingnton competing for tonal supremeacy I think to my self,
why cant box fans be manufactured by scythe, nexus, or noctura?

Despite the fact that the typical cornerstore 20'' box fan costs 10$ more than a 12cm nexus, i would be willing to pay say 40-45$ for a nice big orange silent air mover.
maybe then i could hear my pc noise and spend more money there. wink wink nudge nudge, thats incentive for you manufactures, i will spend more money if i can hear problems.

Now get to it manufactures silence my life. start with somthing big to get attention like the Scythe Taco ninja!! refrigerator heatsink.
Assassinate your hunger and your fridge noise.

seems like a good enough rant, ill stop now before i try to undervolt these bad boys... maybe ill get tacos instead.

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Are you talking about desk fans? and the fans inside fridges?

I know with desk fans, there are some quiet ones out there, but its juts luck of the draw. I think the 60hz supply may also create resonance when used with certain sized fans of certain speeds in the same way that a 70mm fan does with a 7200rpm hdd.

As with fridges, I donno. I hope the new 'A' rated fridges are quiet as well as energy efficient.

mike961734

Post by mike961734 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Sorry, i was looking for silent box fans.
the fridge comment was just a rediculous suggestion based off of hunger and the fact that its right next to my desk.

So to clarify, fans = problem, scythe taconinja = hunger + ranting + silencing.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:08 am

When you're talking about moving that much air, there might not be a silent way to do it.