How Do I Set the Priority Settings for Mouse, Again?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

How Do I Set the Priority Settings for Mouse, Again?

Post by Trip » Mon May 21, 2007 7:07 pm

Hi, I just bought a new optical mouse that plugs into the PS/2, and I can't figure what, if anything, I can raise to high priority to improve its performance.

Under XP's Windows Task Manager Processes tab, I can't find a process that corresponds with the ps/2 mouse. I've tried moving it quickly, but this does not pinpoint the process.

I might try a new mouse pad, but I'm thinking this mouse is just junk since this pad worked well for a previous optical mouse.

ayjay

Post by ayjay » Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 am

I previously had a MS optical mouse where you could tweak the rate that it scanned for motion. I now have a Logitech that refreshes stupidly fast anyway.
I've recently found cheaper optical mice to be poor at tracking on different surfaces.
Was the previous mouse ok?

SoopahMan

Post by SoopahMan » Tue May 22, 2007 2:15 am

The mouse doesn't have its own process, it's one of many items on your computer governed by a driver, and drivers are represented in Task Manager as "Kernel Time." You need to enable Kernel time separately in the View menu. If you see the red bar spiking frequently you've got a runaway driver problem. Such a problem is common on Boot Camped Macs running XP for example because Apple is still learning how to write a Windows driver.

If you don't see such spikes then you've probably just got a bad mouse. Many optical mice require specific surfaces to work, the more matte (non-glossy) the better. I find that if I just put the back face of scrap paper down it works just fine if the desk I'm at is too glossy for an optical mouse - and if that scrap paper gets dirty, just toss it and put down more scrap paper - there will always be more junk mail.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue May 22, 2007 5:56 am

The logitech driver does have an option to improve the ps2 report rate, that can improve the performance of your mouse, if the hardware can cope with it.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue May 22, 2007 6:53 am

You can change some mouse settings in Device Manager as well.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue May 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Hey that's nice, but in my case it has the same settings as the logitech drivers. But nice to know those settings are also there without logitech drivers.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue May 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Was the previous mouse ok?
The mouse it is replacing was fine, but this new mouse has been quieted. Using it, I'm less concerned about waking someone in the next room.
I find that if I just put the back face of scrap paper down it works just fine if the desk I'm at is too glossy for an optical mouse
The mouse works a lot better on scrap paper. Go figure. It's actually usable on scrap paper.
You need to enable Kernel time separately in the View menu.
Thanks I only see red spikes when highlighting large amounts of text.
You can change some mouse settings in Device Manager as well.
Ah, bingo. This is what I was looking for. Sample rate and buffer length both increased to 200.

Thanks guys. It's working far better on scrap power now.