Adorable Kitten Needs Your Help!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

Adorable Kitten Needs Your Help!

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:11 am

I've had lots of stray cats come by my porch, and I've gotten 2 fixed, kept 2, adopting out 1, and trying to tame 1. I found a 2 month cat on my porch Tuesday night. She is one of the most affectionate, adorable cats ever. He's the first to not only let me approach, but he's been all over me for attention and even let me pick her up. I would rather wait to take him in, but I can't:

Her tail's messed. I mean, MESSED. UP. It looks like part of it's been severed, and the rest is a solid mass of scabs. I HAD to take them to the vet to get her looked at, one way or the other. She has to get it amputated, in addition to other costs like spaying, anti-biotics, Feline Leukemina/AIDS test, etc.

I'm dirt poor, but I want to help this little fella. If anyone's willing to contribute to the vet bills, you can paypal me at [email protected] It's about $500-$800 for the amputation plus other costs.

If some of you are willing, PLEASE contribute to help this little girl-cat out. They're doing the surgery today, but I still need help in paying for it.

Pics:

For your convenience, I've put pics of the tail and kitty up at A Waste of Film: http://awasteoffilm.com/
ugh website's down, so here are some imageshack links
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3745/kitty1le6.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/3092/kitty2iy0.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6647/tail1uc9.jpg
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8887/tail2yi5.jpg

Paypal to [email protected]

A little good news:
1) I've racked up about $300 in donations so far
2) They're knocking about $160 off the bill to help me out, so it's still about $800 after getting rabies, basic vet visit, ets, but it's better. So, with the donations I need to scrape together about $650. It's a start.
3) A local humane group is going to hook me up with some free vaccines, de-worming meds, and some Revolution (to kill fleas and ear-mites).
Last edited by Shadowknight on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:10 am

I know that the USA doesnt have any public healthcare, I therefore assume that it doesnt have any Animal Charities like we have in the UK.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/

The RSPCA would sort the cat out for next to nothing, or even nothing.!!!

The USA really needs to sort itself out in a lot of ways, unfortunately that would mean starting with humans, and not more sensible life forms like cats.

You could also look into cheaper methods, such as cutting the balls off of animals using elastic bands, I have no idea how this would work for a cats tail, maybe someone will answer you who have some knolege on the subject (preferably of cats tails, and not testical removal). Good Luck.

Andy

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:19 am

We have animal charity organizations; obviously with limited funds. I get the impression that there is less overall "pet love" per capita in the US than in the UK, though. Also, there's a lot of variability in how much USAians love pets. In Wisconsin, they actually considered cat hunting licenses.

We've taken in four stray cats and a dog, in addition to two cats adopted from a vet clinic; got one of them adopted away...one which we gave away previously "boomeranged" back to us when the adopters had to move. It sure gets expensive, since most strays need at least basic medical attention (tests, shots).

It amazes me that anyone goes to a pet store to buy a pet cat or dog. There's an endless supply of loving cats and dogs looking for homes!

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:47 am

IsaacKuo wrote:...It amazes me that anyone goes to a pet store to buy a pet cat or dog. There's an endless supply of loving cats and dogs looking for homes!
The same reason most people want to have their own children when there's an endless stream of children needing adoption - they want a pet to make them happy, not to make the pet happy.

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:42 am

Wow, she's beautiful.

I can only wish both of you luck. I hope you'll get this thing sorted out, and you'll have a great friend for the next 15-20 years :)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:57 am

A little good news:
1) I've racked up about $150 in donations so far
2) They're knocking about $160 off the bill to help me out, so it's still about $800 after getting rabies, basic vet visit, ets, but it's better. So, with the donations I need to scrape together about $650. It's a start.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 pm

Hmm.. Well.. I've been meaning to go find out how paypal works, so I just now created an account, and sent 5 euros in it's direction, supposedly it'll take 3-4 days before I can send it your way.

Good way of spending 5 euros that were going out for testing anyway ;)

Sorry if I'm not too generous, but I really have no way to prove how true this all is, not willing to spend more than 5 euros on something that I can't verify. No offence of course, I really do think it's true, but there's some rules I just can't break.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Sylph-DS wrote:Hmm.. Well.. I've been meaning to go find out how paypal works, so I just now created an account, and sent 5 euros in it's direction, supposedly it'll take 3-4 days before I can send it your way.

Good way of spending 5 euros that were going out for testing anyway ;)

Sorry if I'm not too generous, but I really have no way to prove how true this all is, not willing to spend more than 5 euros on something that I can't verify. No offence of course, I really do think it's true, but there's some rules I just can't break.
Eh, the pics should be proof, but I can also post the bill tomorrow as a jpg or something.

I don't expect you to send anymore money, I just don't want people to think I'm trying to scam them.

Anway, cash is cash, and I appreciate your help. Thanks!

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:02 pm

That tail looks awful...
It needs to be taken care of, but it looks like it doesn't hurt her much?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:19 pm

She's super-sweet and affectionate and didn't seem to be in pain, but I also understand that animals can be rather stoic when it comes to admitting pain.

Still, if the doctors say it must come off, it must come off. Being completely scabbed over and leaking puss is obviously a bad sign from the get-go, though :(

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:51 pm

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be something from icanhascheezburger, like this one, but it seems to be much more serious than that.

Sorry I can't help out, got last payment on the student loan a while back and still over a month until I get paid from my summer job.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Up to $300 in donations now and getting some free de-worming meds and vaccines from a local humane group.

I still need more help with the medical bills, so if you could link to this thread on other forums or e-mail details to friends/family, I'd appreciate it.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Well, there you go, $6.51 coming your way, could you give me a heads up when it gets there? Kinda new to this whole paypal thing and I want to know what speed it goes as ;)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:17 pm

Sylph-DS wrote:Well, there you go, $6.51 coming your way, could you give me a heads up when it gets there? Kinda new to this whole paypal thing and I want to know what speed it goes as ;)
Yep, got it just now. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

I'll get post-op pics up when I can. Despite getting them to take pics as 10AM this morning, they forgot to actually send them to me :? I had to call them a couple of times yesterday to get them to remember to send me the pics of the "pre-op" cat. I have a Smartmedia camera, and my main computer with the only reader I've got is down. I'll TRY to get it back up this weekend and take my own pictures. At the very least I'll call the vet tomorrow and try to prod them to actually send the pics.

Thanks.

ETA: Thanks to Paypal being obnoxious about the whole verification thing, it'll be a few days before I can actually accept it. I have to wait for their "micro-deposits" to go through before I can verify. I tried to use my bank login (their other method) but for some reason it doesn't work. I can access my bank account, but Paypal can't. Blarg.

Stupid Paypal.

alleycat8675309

Post by alleycat8675309 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:39 pm

$10 just sent. Gotta help my kin.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:43 pm

alleycat8675309 wrote:$10 just sent. Gotta help my kin.
Thanks dude. Trying to send you a "thanks" e-mail, but the server's hanging.

alleycat8675309

Post by alleycat8675309 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Shadowknight wrote:
alleycat8675309 wrote:$10 just sent. Gotta help my kin.
Thanks dude. Trying to send you a "thanks" e-mail, but the server's hanging.
I got it and you are welcome.

TK421

Post by TK421 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:58 am

Any update on the cat? :?:

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:27 pm

I thought maybe there was some rotten flesh left on her stump after surgery, so I took her in today... just normal scabbing, thankfully. Apparently she's healing up faster than the doc expected. She's happy, healthy, and occasionally bolting across the room chasing my other cats. She's not so much playful with them as asserting her dominance. Heh.

She's sweet, loves affection, and even charmed several of the receptionists who were all over her as I was checking out.

She's a good cat.

Oh, and I'm still about $300 shy of the medical bills, so if you guts want to contribute more, I won't say no. :D

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Have you chosen a name for her?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Traya - I tend to name animals after character from movies/books I like. I grabbed it out of Knights of the Old Republic 2. I realized after the fact how unintentionally appropriate it is, since Traya gets her hand cut off with a lightsaber in the game. I originally thought about going with Visas from Visas Marr (her name literally means "Marred sight") but I thought Visas sounds queer on the tongue for a day to day name.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:29 am

Since you have other cats, may I suggest to look after their stress symtoms, that are caused by the newcomer.
I have two black and white cats, both saved from the street, and the younger one caused a lot of distress to the older (and first) one.
After the younger one grew older I had to make it clear to the older one that she's allowed to give her a good spanking if she is too cheeky.

TK421

Post by TK421 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 am

Any pics of the cat available?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 am

Yep. www.awasteoffilm.com I posted the site address in the original post, along with direct links, FYI.

TK421

Post by TK421 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:21 pm

IT's a great cat! I'm glad she's taken care of so well-

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Adorable Kitten Needs Your Help!

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:42 am

Shadowknight wrote:If anyone's willing to contribute to the vet bills, you can paypal me at [email protected]
You've got Paypal coming your way.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Just got it, thanks.

Urelated, but my diNovo keyboard just died, and typing on a regular keyboard is a pain. Feh.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:28 pm

You're a good man-- here's my $10.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:19 pm

Bump - Still short about $180, and have until the 15th to get the rest together. Thanks for the help so far!