Need computer chair recommendation

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

Need computer chair recommendation

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:50 pm

A couple of months ago, my computer chair broke. Since then I've been forced to sit ramrod-straight in a kitchen chair. My back hurts from doing this all the time.

Looking for recommendations for a chair that has armrests and is comfortable to sit in while doing typing, gaming... crap like that. Also need to know if it's a chair that comes from a big chainstore, is only available over the internet, or from a specialty store or furniture warehouse.

Thanks.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:32 am

Charlotte's a big city; should have several large office supply/furniture outlets. Visit several; sit in the chairs they have for that purpose. "Fit" is very personal: what works for me won't for you, and vice-versa. Buying over the net is fine for a second or third copy of a specific model; buying the first copy over the net is insane.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:56 am

I used to have a Hermann Miller Aeron at work, and it was the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, but of course the price is somewhat eye-watering. It could be worth every penny though if you spend a large part of your life with your backside parked in it.

I expect some of the cheaper clones work just as well in practice, but I agree it's completely impossible to tell without actually trying them out first.

Incidentally, the mesh seat of the Aeron is very comfortable, but it ruined my £1500 bespoke suit after about three months... :(

aef110

Post by aef110 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 am

It may be completely different from your conception, but I can't recommend the "swopper" highly enough. It's an extremely high-quality German product that couldn't be more ideal for office and computer work. It's an "active" chair that strengthens your back muscles as you sit, while keeping them flexible.

I caution anyone who spends significant time sitting not to get a "comfy" luxury chair. They may be extremely comfortable indeed, but they weaken the muscles supporting the spine since the chair does the work of support in place of the muscles. Over time, this leads to posture problems and often debilitating pain.

The "swopper" by contrast gives you total flexibility to move in every direction. You can even bounce on it! It's a blast. I hate sitting on anything else now. It's well worth the investment.

My 2 cents... enjoy whatever you decide on.

aef110

Post by aef110 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:25 am

Some links to the "swopper":

Homepage: http://www.swopper.de/index.php?lang=en

An accurate review: http://www.newstarget.com/002687.html

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:19 pm

I tried many chairs, both in store and at home for several days, and really like this "Global Airflow Leather Mesh-Back Chair" from Staples. Note the mesh back, and the seat cushion is perforated, so it doesn't get hot. I did find that the normal (not tilted) seat position was very slightly forward for my preferences, so I put spacers (large threaded nuts, actually) on the forward seat cushion attachment bolts, between the mounting frame and cushion base to tilt the whole assembly. Perfect now. Wish my company-supplied office chair was as comfy.

I got mine from an actual store, but it appears to be available over the 'Net, too.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Different strokes - I never found an Aeron that comfortable, though attractive looking. Most comportable chairs I have user are an ObusForm (also quite pricey) and one of Global Office products Intensive use chairs. They're intended for scontinuous shift work such as dispatchers, monitoring technicians etc. Any good office supply/furniture outlet should carry them or their equivalents.