New build, computer won't boot.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fjf

Post by fjf » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:26 am

nzimmers wrote:just checking but, you have the power switch hooked up to the correct pins right?
:lol:

Dutchmm

Have you tried removing the video card?

Post by Dutchmm » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:43 am

The problem you are reporting seems similar to something I see intermittently on my rig:

Sonata
Asus A7V8X-MX-SE
Athlon XP 2800+
Generic PC2700 memory, 2*512Mb sticks
Maxtor Diamond 10 300GB
ATI 9600 AGP card

Both with the ATI card, and with a previous NVIDIA GeForce 4 card (this machine started out life as a HP Pavilion, but several components failures later, it has become a custom special) , I get a fail to POST following the removal of the power cable. Go figure, but the treatment which gets it back on its feet involves removing the video card, connecting the monitor to the on-board VGA socket, telling my LCD display to accept an analog feed, and booting the machine, resetting the graphics resolution to the best you can do with the on-board graphics chip, shutting down through software, re-installing/re-connecting the video card, and re-jigging the display resolution to 1200*1600. This problem also happens in the event of a power outage (luckily, they are unusual here in Amsterdam). I am getting to be quite good at this, as it seems to happen about once every year.

I checked the manual for your motherboard on the Gigabyte website, and it shows an onboard VGA socket, so you should be able to try this. I have found other people whose NVidia-based mother boards locked up like this after a "dirty" shutdown.

HTH, TTFN

Mike