LCD TV Whine -- any winners out there?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Alan Friesen

LCD TV Whine -- any winners out there?

Post by Alan Friesen » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:42 pm

First of all, I have to say that I love this site. I've been using it since 2004 to pick components for my computers that are silent or near silent, and I haven't received bad advice yet. So, for that, thanks!

My concern today, however, is LCD TVs. I've had a 19" Samsung CRT for the past seven years, and it's gotten to the point that the wife is telling me that it's too small. I dutifully did my research and welcomed the day that the dreaded CRT buzz would be behind me, and finally picked out a Panasonic 32LX70 on sale. I brought it home, consigned my 19" to a corner, and enjoyed my beautiful new TV.

For about two weeks.

Right in the middle of watching a movie, all of a sudden I realise that I'm getting a headache. I'm getting old, this isn't uncommon, but over the next week I realised that it was the TV itself that was emitting a very high-pitched whine -- higher than a CRT but quieter. The problem was that the ringing in my ears from the bloody TV would last for hours. Hours! At least with my 19" CRT, I could turn it off and the noise would go away!

So it was with great sadness that I packed it up and returned it to the store. Now I'm a bit shell-shocked about picking a new TV, as it was a bit of a hassle to return it ("Noise? What noise? LCDs don't make noises!"). First of all, what's up with LCDs whining? I've had three LCD monitors that are completely dead silent -- was this just a bad TV? If not, are there any of you out there with sensitive ears who are happy with their LCD TVs? Any advice at this point regarding the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:30 am

Backlight inverter. My Viewsonic has a whine while on standby(usually when turned off too) and my FSC laptop converter has a whine if the battery is full and the computer isn't being used.

Philips 24" LCD TV, HD Ready, no whine.

New technology, new problems.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:55 pm

Return it, see if it's the model or whatnot (by buying another identical unit), if it is, inform the company that their products whine and you don't like that.

Then buy another model.

I don't have an LCD TV, but I would imagine, like all components, this has a lot to do with sample variance.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:01 am

My Proview lcd makes an ennoying whinning sound, but not always once in a while when its on.
Thanks

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:16 pm

I have a 22" Chimei monitor and it makes various whines when switched off, in standby, or the worst one when operating but not at full brightness. I just leave it at full brightness and it is silent for normal use. My previous 17" and 19" monitor made no noise at all. Being in Australia, my power is 240v, which apparently can have something to do with it.

Ideally you will be able to see the TVs in a showroom of sorts and check which models whine or not?