Need help with a problem with MS Vista

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Need help with a problem with MS Vista

Post by aristide1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:54 pm

At first I noticed that I can no longer start Windows Update by clicking on it. Its in my tray but when I right click the icon nothing happens.

Also - I click on Control Panel the window opens but it's empty.

And also - I used to be able to do this. I right click on computer and then click on properties, where I had access to hardware drivers, etc. It no longer works.

What's going on?

jbw

Post by jbw » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:08 pm

Sounds like this old "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode where someone (the Captain I think?) was trapped in a parallel universe that kept getting smaller and smaller. He had to jump through this worm hole back into the normal universe right before the parallel one shrank to nothing.

That being said, I don't use Vista so I can't give an informed answer to your problem, but the above synopsis may be illustrative of the solution. :wink:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:09 pm

And they wonder why people downgrade back to XP.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:49 am

I think you'll find that's called an 'upgrade'... :wink:

aBo

Post by aBo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 am

Sounds like you need to do a system restore. The fastest way to access it in Vista is to start typing "system" in the "Start Search" -field of the Start menu and click it when it appears (or just type in rstrui and press Enter).

Copper
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Copper » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 am

It sounds somewhat like being in a limited user account. Have you played with group policy (still in Vista?) or adjusted permissions?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:13 am

Copper wrote:It sounds somewhat like being in a limited user account. Have you played with group policy (still in Vista?) or adjusted permissions?
If tell you what the problem is do you promise not to laugh at me?

I found out when I upgrade my BIOS yesterday, or I should say early this morning. I don't exactly know what info is in BIOS, but apparently some timings than can affect programs in the OS. I'm guessing that's the case because my pc has been folding 24/7 for weeks and all other programs are running fine while the pc has been overclocked.

When the BIOS finally upgraded and I got it to work (3:00 a.m.) all the settings returned to their default and I noticed that Windows Update program and Computer - Properties was working. I upped the FSB and they stopped, I lowered it and they returned. Weird thing is I could probably do Orthos or Prime 95 no problem.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:40 am

If I tell you what the problem is do you promise not to laugh at me?
hey, that's nothing, the other day I was testing a motherboard, couldn't get the g&dd*m thing to POST, tried everything, changed CPU, RAM, HDD, PSU, GFX....guess why I couldn't see anything on the screen?

The monitor cable was unplugged
:evil: :lol: :? :oops:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:43 pm

Along those lines, had problem with my headphones and mic the other day, wouldn't work for anything confirmed they were in the right plugs, just on the wrong pc.

Yes, you can have too many pcs.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Heh, I have more practical problems with my PC. My videocard is bad, every once in a while my computer starts freezing every time while trying to play video/play a game/or even just displaying flash page in internet explorer (firefox works fine, but I think it might be because I use flashblock). Anyway, the problem is videocard, if I physically push it in everything starts working.

That wouldn't be so bad, but it's frigging annoying never knowing if you computer freezes and last time my PC froze I had to reconfigure foobar and trillian.

So, finally I broke down and ordered Abit IP35 Pro today from mWave at $168-20MIR+Shipping, best price I could find on a motherboard I wanted. On December 3rd if nVidia releases new GTS and it doesn't cost a fortune I'll pick that up as well. Sweet, finally an upgrade.