MVA crushed blacks

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matija

MVA crushed blacks

Post by Matija » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:17 am

I've read somewhere that the infamous crushed blacks are the worst on S-PVA, less of a problem on P-MVA, and not really a big deal on A-MVA.

Is that true?

A friend asked me to recommend him a quality LCD, and I have no idea what he should buy - IPS isn't exactly common, he'd like a 24" screen, and NEC LCDs are either unavailable (2490) or too expensive (2690). TN is obviously out, so only VA matrices are left - and S-PVA is horrible when it comes to crushed blacks.

If A-MVA isn't bad, then the BenQ FP241W would be a good choice...

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:41 am

wtf

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:29 pm

LOL :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sC7EozTCGSQ

Some call it colour shifting, but it's more accurate to call it crushed blacks. When your view is perpendicular to a PVA screen, detail is lost in dark areas because of how that type of matrix works.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Is it a result of the matrix itself or the manufacturer's tweaking to get the black levels down lower?

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:51 pm

The matrix.

nick705

Re: MVA crushed blacks

Post by nick705 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Matija wrote: A friend asked me to recommend him a quality LCD, and I have no idea what he should buy - IPS isn't exactly common, he'd like a 24" screen, and NEC LCDs are either unavailable (2490) or too expensive (2690).
There's a new company called Hazro producing a range of S-IPS monitors, at what seem like (relatively) reasonable prices, although I'm not sure about international availability at the moment.

I can't find any decent online reviews, but the specifications look promising, so it could be worth investigating if your friend does much colour-critical work.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/9.htm#hazro

BTW, "crushed blacks" is usually taken to mean a screen's general inability to resolve subtle differences in very dark areas, and is a different problem from the horizontal shifting which afflicts *VA panels particularly badly (and from which IPS panels are relatively immune). I think until LED backlighting becomes commonplace, it's something you'll have to live with to some extent with all LCD panels regardless of type... :(

/edit: FWIW, I found a couple of reviews of the 26" and 30" models, and they're quite positive although not exactly overflowing with detail.

Matija

Post by Matija » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:57 pm

I've read the tidbit about Hazro on tftcentral.co.uk. However, I'm quite convinced that nobody in Croatia will import them, and shipping such things from abroad is sheer lunacy (things should improve one day when we enter the EU - not that I'd like it, though).

Hmm, I thought that crushed blacks are what you get when looking at something dark on a VA perpendicularly... You think it's horizontal colour shift? Still curious about the difference between S-PVA (as seen on the YouTube video) and A-MVA, though.

As for me, I'm sticking to my 19" CRT until SED or OLED replace LCDs, or until LCD technology sufficiently advances to make CRT replacement possible -- if it even does.