Where the ... is that global [climate change] warming?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm

klankymen wrote:Oh yeah, the American way out - shift the blame, preferably just sue somebody. You're doing it for the ideal - not to get millions of dollars. And not because you were stupid and put your cat in a microwave.
Or the other American way. Some people in this coutnry got rich from the government paying not to grow anything. Now they're all hoping on the ethanol bandwagon, making just about every other thing we actually eat more expensive. Or at least that's what they keep blaming all the food prices increases on.

It's a no win deal. Without ethanol, food prices go up because of transportation, but with it even if ethanol flattened fuel prices food costs go up anways. You can pay or you can pay, that's way happens when corporations are allowed to run the country.

laserred

Post by laserred » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:53 pm

aristide1 wrote: It's a no win deal. Without ethanol, food prices go up because of transportation, but with it even if ethanol flattened fuel prices food costs go up anways. You can pay or you can pay, that's way happens when corporations are allowed to run the country.
That's the first coherent thing you've said in about three weeks. Problem is, they've got a name for what you describe. It's called fascism.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:00 pm

laserred wrote:
aristide1 wrote: It's a no win deal. Without ethanol, food prices go up because of transportation, but with it even if ethanol flattened fuel prices food costs go up anways. You can pay or you can pay, that's way happens when corporations are allowed to run the country.
That's the first coherent thing you've said in about three weeks. Problem is, they've got a name for what you describe. It's called fascism.
GWB has another name for it - capitalism via lobbying.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 am

Hello,

"Slide show" on Flickr of 5 pairs of pictures, comparing pictures from 1960 with ones from 2005:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wbur/sets/ ... 2135/show/

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:09 pm

OK, is this viable on a large scale, clean, and economically worthwhile?

http://www.gasification.org/Docs/News/2 ... l_Cell.pdf

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Hello Aris,

There are a lot of hurdles to get over with this -- sequestration being one of the main ones. I wouldn't hold my breath.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Greetings,

I hope that all of you can watch this TED video of Al Gore, with an update to his slide show:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/243

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:05 am

Greetings,

From the radio report on NPR, hosted by Walter Cronkite, the minimum Arctic ice area in 2007 was 39% less than the average of the 1972-2000 period.

:shock:

http://www.insideout.org/documentaries/meltingice/

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:02 am

I resurrected my old thread, because lately the sun has lost its spots, and this may lead to lower temperatures or even a mini Ice Age:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12823

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:35 am

Tzupy wrote:I resurrected my old thread, because lately the sun has lost its spots, and this may lead to lower temperatures or even a mini Ice Age:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12823
Well great.

So maybe we better step up our project of blowing holes in the ozone layer to let more of the precious sunlight in. Global Warming? What Global Warming?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 am

Well with China bringing an average of 2 coal fired plants on-line each week perhaps we'll return to the 50's where we had a cooling period, and we can all just choke to death, the way nature intended.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:59 am

Hi,

Sunspots are in a 22 year cycle. This has gone on pretty much forever.

Also, it is scientifically accurate to call this "global climate change", and some areas of the earth will get warmer, but other areas will get cooler.

We'll see in 2 weeks or so how much (more) of the Arctic sea ice has melted. September 15th is usually the peak of melting, and lately there has been a lot more melting that is normal. We may see ALL the sea ice in the Arctic ocean melted at this time within the next 5 years, or so.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:51 am

It's your right as a Moderator to change the titles of some threads, if they are offensive or rude, but I doubt this was the case.
I agree that the right term is 'global climate change', but my original post was funny based on the 'global warming' idea.
So you took the fun out of the title...
PS. The heat I had to endure this August does give weight to the 'global warming' hypothesis.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:43 am

Hello,

Here's some info on this year's (2008) Arctic sea ice:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image ... ge2008.png

L2GX

Post by L2GX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:45 am

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:03 am

The heat I had to endure this August does give weight to the 'global warming' hypothesis.
Weather != Climate

Just my 2c

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:25 am

According to this article, cloud-seeding ships could combat climate change:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/new ... CE6368EB0F
It would probably be wise to try a smaller scale first, than the 1,500 autonomous ships needed for the planet-wise deployment.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:22 am

Didn't scientist say that global warming and dssolving of polar icecaps actually will lead into new ice age?

After ice caps melt, they will make atlantic ocean salt rate drop, which would actually stop golf stream. This would make drastic changes in climate generally. Like we find now mammoth's with green grass in their mouth from permafrost... Who knows maybe in thousands of years from now they will find average joe frozen with still fresh pizza on his mouth from perma frost... All because of climate change...

Which IMHO is mostly cyclic and not as much caused by humans as we're told. I base this for palm tree findings on bottom of british lakes etc. which prooves that climate has been warmer in past so I think this whole thing is just cyclic thing...

Of course Krakatau eruption in the 19th hit a lot more small particles in the dust than anything we know in the past and that has been prooven to affect climate globally by making climate slightly colder. The millions and millions of cubic meters small particles and ashes in the upper atmosphere reflected a lot thermalradiation away....

qviri

Post by qviri » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Image
Great graphic, thanks so much for posting this!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:45 am

Hiya,

Did you get a chance to read the articles?

qviri

Post by qviri » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:45 pm

I did; why?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:51 am

Hi,

I wasn't sure, based on your comment about the graphic.

When 4,000 year old ice starts breaking off in enormous chunks, and 3,000 year old lakes drain into the ocean in just hours, then people should be concerned.

The more land and water that is "exposed" to the sun, the faster the warming will happen, because snow and ice reflects a great amount of the sunlight.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 am

Carbon dioxide output jumps to record level in 2007, article at CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09 ... index.html
The major culprits are China, USA, Russia and India. Maybe the big upcoming recession will slow those.
Some european countries have been doing something about the issue, levels are decreasing in the UK, Germany and France.
But probably not in Romania, with an economic growth of 8-9% this year.

colm

Post by colm » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:32 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

I wasn't sure, based on your comment about the graphic.

When 4,000 year old ice starts breaking off in enormous chunks, and 3,000 year old lakes drain into the ocean in just hours, then people should be concerned.

The more land and water that is "exposed" to the sun, the faster the warming will happen, because snow and ice reflects a great amount of the sunlight.
and that means storms and more storms before it really warms everything. My own state is north, and that means turbulent anyway. for the first time in 17 years we have a hurricane watch today, this past january one was a coldspot of the nation at -28F, and we got over 8 feet of snow here, 10 feet to the north breaking alltime records....the comment about the 2007 ice shelf being a large percentage smaller than in many years goes along with it.
Within that slower process this year seems a man made event did not help....noone knows what it is apparently. The china comment seems to be a common one...

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 am

NASA Spots Jump In Atmospheric Methane, link to article at AviationWeek:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... nnel=space

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 pm

I have resurected this post today because I have just noticed an interesting article about climate change and world populous on the BBC News website.

Whats interesting is that what I said 13 months ago in this very thread is now being repeated in the mainstream news, and may eventually end up being discussed by the people who can make the descisions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7865332.stm
It's the great taboo of environmentalism: the size and growth of the human population.

It has a profound impact on all life on Earth, yet for decades it has been conspicuously absent from public debate.

Andy

ACook

Post by ACook » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm

everybody knows more ppl in a room means higher temperatures...

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:50 pm

I just read an email from state-side relatives who are "climate change deniers", pointing to record cold snaps being evidence against "global warming".

Unfortunately their message is a little lost given that last week Melbourne had a record heatwave of 43C, 44C and 45C for three days straight (110F, 111F and 113F). Previous record was two consecutive days of 40C (104F). Our public transport system collapsed - 20 train lines had tracks literally buckle from the heat. Workers were out hosing them down to cool the steel so it could be beaten back into shape!

I've found two dead native possums within a block of my house (they adapt to suburbia quite well) that have literally dropped dead out of trees. Veterinarian friend has said that their clinic has been inundated with possums suffering heatstroke, and that in the south of the state koalas have been suffering similar fates. The climate is changing in my state.

I like the quote earlier in this thread - Weather != Climate.

ACook

Post by ACook » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:05 pm

OMG real Dropbears!