Vibration mounts... for a turntable.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

potsy

Vibration mounts... for a turntable.

Post by potsy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:15 pm

I think this is about the right place to post this, hope its ok with everybody. I'm trying to replace the vibration mounts on an old turntable I'm restoring and I figured people here might have some helpful ideas after using the same sort of material as feet for cases etc. I once had a computer with feet which were almost the consistency of jelly and it was very effective.

These mounts isolate the tonearm from the turntable/motor. I'm looking for something about the consistency of all round silicone. But ordinary silicone is hard to use because it needs moisture to set - I tried to mould some in tubes of the right diameter and it won't go off (two part moulding stuff is available but expensive - over $100 for a small amount). I've also found that foam & neoprene compress because they have air pockets - once compressed they're no good.

Closeups of the mounts that need replacing are below. One has perished and the other has been replaced with something too hard. Does anybody have ideas about either where to source material or how to make it (tubes about 29mm and 20mm diameter (or 1" 2/16 and 27/32 for you imperialists)) ?

If you're interested in these things there's more pics at: http://grapevine.com.au/~clubmack//sile ... silex.html and a thread on the vinyl engine at: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11197

Thanks heaps everybody
Potsy

ImageImage
Last edited by potsy on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:06 pm

What do you think about Sorbothane? Don't know where to get it in Australia, but if you do a Google search that might help. Have seen blocks of it that were maybe 2 to 3 cm thick. Or you could use Sorbothane feet for computers or turntables, if they are the right size and you can modify them for your purposes.

There is also this stuff: http://www.petrastechshop.com/pegviabbl.html

It is a bear to work with because you damn near can't cut it, it is so jelly-like, but it should work for your purposes if it is thick enough. If you can shape it the way you want, you can control how jiggly it is by how much pressure you put on it.

Above all, keep being creative, and don't rush into anything. Free advice from another guy who is into restoration and maintenance of analog audio equipment.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:31 pm

:roll: most i've done is replace a needle on my turntable, its at least 30 years old too, and has only gone through one needle, and used to be owned by my local highschool. the replacement needle i ordered didn't fit, but the cartridge was supposed to, so i replaced the needle itself. best i've ever done, and it sounds great, but i can't get it to play 45's...ah well.

i'll have to look into that because its a belt drive table, i know it has some sort of shock mounts, but i don't know how worn they are.

thanks for the interesting tip!