"RAM Killing" Motherboards?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

"RAM Killing" Motherboards?

Post by matt_garman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:01 pm

My MythTV (HTPC) runs off an Abit NF-M2 motherboard. For memory, I was originally using 2x512 G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-1GBHZ (which is supposed to be their higher-end memory).

I always seemed to have trouble with one stick of RAM. It would work for a while, then not work, I'd run the computer for a while with only one stick, put it back in and it would be fine, etc, etc. Finally the one stick totally seemed to die. The PC wouldn't boot with that stick in any slot.

So I RMA'ed the memory. I also bought a 2x1 GB set of Crucial Ballistix, thinking maybe the motherboard would like it better. I installed it, ran memtest86 for 24 hours, no problems, and figured all was good.

Not more than a few weeks later, one Ballistix module died! Same thing: no matter what slot it was in, the computer wouldn't POST with it. So I'm going to RMA this RAM as well.

Maybe it's just bad luck, but I have the feeling that the motherboard is "killing" the RAM. I've checked and re-checked the voltage, to make sure it's set to exactly what the manufacturer specifies. My CPU isn't overclocked either. In fact, I take the defaults for the memory timings, and according to memtest86, the motherboard is actually running the RAM slower than spec.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Thoughts?

Matt

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:27 pm

I believe it...just because it is reporting that it is giving that voltage to the RAM, doesn't mean there aren't some out of spec components doing otherwise.

Err..nothing exactly like it...though I did have some cheap speakers I bought which took out my trusty old SB Live! 5.1 and the onboard audio on my Asus A7N8X before I wised up and quit plugging them into things. :oops:

edit: and for the most part, I am far more dangerous to my components...as my dead 939Dual-VSTA will attest. *RIP* :(

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:03 pm

RAM can go bad from PSUs with noisy rails.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:27 am

there were threads on xtremesystems about dead Micron DDR2 chips.

http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&s ... arch&meta=

It may or may not be representative of all Micron D9 chips out there. You might want to borrow or buy some cheap rams with other chipsets instead.

btw, I've the same motherboard with 4x1GB Kingston (Hynix) DDR2-667 @ 800, 2.0v. Works fine for nearly 1 yr.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:29 pm

People go out of their way to get Micron D9 chips. They are pushed to the limits, both in frequency and voltage.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:22 am

aristide1 wrote:People go out of their way to get Micron D9 chips. They are pushed to the limits, both in frequency and voltage.
yah, but there were reports of those sticks dying at stock/advertised voltage. Not sure if those guys were telling the truth.

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:16 am

Just for posterity... I ultimately found out that the motherboard itself is dead or dying. I tried to use it in another system, and it would just randomly turn itself off.

Anyone have experience with motherboards that randomly shut down? :)

I don't need the board, so if there isn't an easy solution to fix it, it's going in the recycle bin.