Free registry cleaner and removal

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oceanobsession

Free registry cleaner and removal

Post by oceanobsession » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:56 am

Does anyone have any info on a free registry cleaner and removal they all seem to scan for fee then you gotta pay help please dont wont to pay cheers phil england

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:51 am

Hello oceanobsession,

Never fall for offers like the one you mentioned.

Usually the registry is perfectly fine without cleaning but there is free, reliable and award winning software that sometimes is useful.

Google for Ccleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner). Ccleaner includes a registry cleaning option. You can analyze for unneeded registry entries and choose whether or not to delete them. You also have the option to backup and restore the set of entries that are deleted in a REG file. Ccleaner's main function is automated removal of junk files that accumulate.

You might want to look into ERUNT which is a free application that automatically backs up the whole registry for recovery if needed. Take time to read the detailed information re ERUNT and you will realize the app's value.

I almost never pay for software (exceptions are MediaMonkey Gold, Nero Ultimate Edition, Tag&Rename and PerfectDisk). Bluefront has a forum thread discussing free software. As a general rule never install anything that is not widely recommended by experienced third parties.

oceanobsession

Re registry cleaner

Post by oceanobsession » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:22 am

Michael Sandstrom thanks again for all the help you have given me ive downloaded c cleaneer and its a great free tool all the best oceanobsession

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:44 am

After running CCleaner you might want to compact and defrag your registry. I use Auslogics Registry Defrag; doesn't work wonders but has been verified to keep registry coherent on drive.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:03 am

Auslogic Defrag is quick and nimble. Not sure how good of a job it actually does, but it defrags much faster than the Window's defrag. It also doesn't seem to consume much in the way of resources, i.e., if you need to use your PC while it is defragging, it doesn't really slow you down.

Matija

Post by Matija » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:22 am

Has anyone ever made any kind of a study to verify the usefulness of those registry optimizers / defragmenters?

They honestly seem like snake oil to me.

File fragmentation, fine, we know that it slows things down... But defragmenting something that will end up in RAM?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:31 am

I haven't seen such a study, no, but I can understand why a coherently organised registry would be optimal. Whether that makes any difference or not, I can't really say. I for one haven't noticed any sort of boost, but then again I run a tight ship. :P

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:54 am

The program ERUNT which I recommended above also includes NTREGOPT which supposedly defrags the registry. I am not certain of the benefit of NTREGOPT but I ran it once out of curiosity.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:25 pm

Hello,

CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) is an excellent Registry cleaning program, and it is free:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

As is EasyCleaner:

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm