The answer without a question

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Airshark

Re: The answer without a question

Post by Airshark » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:38 pm

aristide1 wrote:
LinuxSam wrote:I have seen a lot of these "war is not the answer" signs lately, (what can I expect, living in Washington...) and I allways wonder what the question is. It seems that it would be logical to define the question before deciding what isn't an answer. Any help would be appreciated.
It means that both sides have high costs in both lives and tax money. From that aspect "the only way to win is not play."
(I'm quoting a computer if anyone recalls.)

It's an attempt to bring sheeple out of denial. Yeah, good luck with that.

The bumper sticker had to be re-issued and used because there are still a bunch of people who believe that the likes of Cheney, and his clearly "objective opinion." Come on sheeple, how could you ever believe (let alone still believe) that somebody who still gets a couple of million a year from his "old company" has no conflict of interest? These politcians say to Joe Average, "Here are the issues that can be viewed as conflicts of interest. They just so happen not to apply to us."

To get an idea just how gullible and clueless some people are when they support their government get a load of the end of this recent story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24430171/

This man tried to save his country, and the world for that matter. But just like US sheeple, some people, once outside their circle of comfort, refuse to believe in reality. So it comes as no surprise that sheeple today stick to this administration while it continues to "OJ" us with its propaganda.

"There was also the fact that immediately after World War II, the July 20 plotters were widely viewed as traitors, a label the Nazis gave them that stuck for years.

"For a long time, it was not believable to normal Germans that the government was criminal," he recalled. "And as soon as one thought they had pushed that out of the way, then people just didn't want to know.""

One does get tired of watching history repeat itself.
The instant somebody refers to his fellow citizens as "sheeple", my pompousity detector redlines. Yet another person who's sure they've got the inside track on the way the world works, whereas anybody who disagrees with your political philosophy must be a mouth-breather.

"War Is Not The Answer" is a meaningless phrase right up there with "Imagine World Peace", or for that matter, "Imagine Whirled Peas". :lol:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: The answer without a question

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Airshark wrote:The instant somebody refers to his fellow citizens as "sheeple", my pompousity detector redlines. Yet another person who's sure they've got the inside track on the way the world works, whereas anybody who disagrees with your political philosophy must be a mouth-breather.
There's a difference between knowing how everything works and knowing how some things don't work. As for pompous, you should look around some more, perhaps in the mirror as well, based on the rest of your witty post.
Airshark wrote:"War Is Not The Answer" is a meaningless phrase right up there with "Imagine World Peace", or for that matter, "Imagine Whirled Peas". :lol:
Yes, another post just chock full of facts. I wonder if BF got another identity to back himself up. Freedom of speech is no guarantee of intelligent or worthwhile speech.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:57 am

Airshark..... you certainly correctly defined the bumper sticker from the OP. Too bad you had to rile up the local troll.

The terrorism we face today is a world-wide problem that many countries face.....more wide-spread than the problem of Nazi Germany in the '40s and harder to deal with, because of it's religious basis. Anybody who thinks this is just a regional problem that can be ignored, and that will just go away.....is wrong.

Just this morning Canada appeared in the news.....apparently the next target on the list. Maybe this new threat was uncovered in time.....before more killing.

walle

Post by walle » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:05 pm

Airshark wrote:The instant somebody refers to his fellow citizens as "sheeple", my pompousity detector redlines.
It was not your popousity detector reacting it was your ego reacting to what was put out there for you to read, not to offend you Airshark, not at all. But you took offence without even really knowing why, am I right or am I wrong?
Yet another person who's sure they've got the inside track on the way the world works
A classical computer response right there.
whereas anybody who disagrees with your political philosophy must be a mouth-breather.
Another one of those.

[I have yet to see Bluefront respond, let alone having given any philosophical view in this thread, again, no offence, but I haven’t seen it.]
Bluefront wrote:Just this morning Canada appeared in the news….
Most illuminating Bluefront, thank you. Well, I guess they are, if not at red, so at orange? having that little text running past whilst watching the television, you on green yet or is it redlining?
"War Is Not The Answer"
Quoted for truth! so, it now appears as if though you have yet another fellow human that the program will be forced to view as a Troll.
Bluefront wrote:…because of it's religious basis..
I will give my thoughts around the religious aspect soon Bluefront, none can be spared since there are no exceptions.

Give me something to munch at will you, I'm hungry! :wink:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 pm

VanWaGuy, he keeps calling me names.

Where's your sense of respect now?
It seems like such a terrible shame that innocent civilians have to get hurt in wars, otherwise combat would be such a wonderfully healthy way to rid the human race of unneeded trash.
Fred Woodworth
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 08456.html

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:12 pm

This thread turned into a farce as opposed to a discussion some pages ago.

Again, the subject is not the subject anymore. Personal pride and prejudice is. I'm glad some of you don't have a gun and are in reach of eachother.

BF, terrorism is not based on "that single religion". Neil told you earlier and gave some examples.

Religion based extremism is as dangerous as nation based extremism.
The difference: even though terrorism might be more wide spread (which I doubt) the implications as far as "numbers" (disgusting word as we speak about people here) go, they are no match to the deaths caused by WWII.
I'm perfectly happy to live in this time and age if I had to choose from now and 1942 in Europe.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:22 pm

I tried to keep in on track, but I admit I haven't tried lately.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:34 pm

That's exactly what I mean... :(

Ant6n

Post by Ant6n » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Bluefront wrote:Ant6n..... it's probably because the "other ways" you speak of, usually don't work, and just show your enemies how weak you are. WWII is a good example.....for years trying to avoid another WW, Hitler was appeased every time he made an aggressive move. Obviously that never stopped him, and he became more and more aggressive.
While it's true that ww2 was probably not avoidable from the american point of view after '38, that doesnt mean it was avoidable alltogether. for example for germany it could have been (avoidable).
Or, possibly the thing could've been avoided as late as the late 20ies. Either way, it was not a 'usual' situation. So citing ww2 as an example of 'other ways' not usually working is a little moot. If anything it can be cited as an example where even one of the seemingly most unavoidable conflicts in history might have been avoided at the right time and place.
An example that 'war is not an answer' works is the Cuban missile crisis. Just imagine what would've happened if the US had invaded Cuba or even just attacked by air...
-- and on a side note, the Iraq problem (before the war) was probably much more comparable with Cuba, '62, than with Germany, '39.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:40 pm

walle wrote:
Airshark wrote:The instant somebody refers to his fellow citizens as "sheeple", my pompousity detector redlines.
It was not your popousity detector reacting it was your ego reacting to what was put out there for you to read, not to offend you Airshark, not at all. But you took offence without even really knowing why, am I right or am I wrong?
Wrong, I think, because I have no idea what you're really trying to say. My point was straightforward - somebody who uses words like that generally has little to no respect for the intelligence of anybody who doesn't share their POV (and sometimes not even for those who do). It's the same kind of thinking that gets people to label the millions who voted GOP in 2004 as "Red-Staters" or "Flyover Country", or even "Jesusland". One thing I do know about trying to "wake up the sheeple", you're not going to be off to a good start by condescending.

I'm not easily offended, and I'm not offended now - and that's the only reason I think your statement is "wrong" (frankly, I don't understand your point).

Let me jump into the fray with a comment about this post:
Ant6n wrote:But no, the point is not to cover anything up. The exact oppossite should've been done; open a dialogue (instead of covering up the issue, covering up the past, and covering up bad responses with a bunch of wars).
Maybe an attempt at tackling the root of the problem. And by the way, I also agree that police-like action should've been utilized; most likely with global cooperation (starting a dialogue helps here) to combine resources, jursidiction and attack the legal issues around global terrorism (gitmo, probably not a long term solution).
"Dialogue"? That simply wasn't in the cards. Talking with irrational people rarely gets results. Have you ever actually heard Osama speak? There was a video of his collected speeches published in 2003 (wish I could remember the name of the documentary, sorry), and basically it simply had him speaking with a subtitled translation. If you had heard the things he says, you'd immediately understand that there's no reasoning to be done with the guy. We could withdraw from the Middle East, hell, we could bomb Israel off the map for them, and he still wouldn't be happy. What would we have to do to meet Osama's demands? He was asked this question directly, and he started with "Repay the Muslims four trillion US dollars for the oil stolen from them by the West", and then added more and more things, and finally ended with "Convert to Islam and live by Sharia law."

We are in fact in a war, and it's not one that we're going to make go away by pretending that it doesn't exist. Nothing less than the dissolution of all non-Muslim governments has a shot at stopping this guy. It's us or them, and pretending that we can get along with the guy if we try a little harder is simply stupidity talking. The incursion into Afghanistan and the removal of the Taliban from power was wholly justified.

Now, what this all has to do with the Iraq war is a different story. I used to think that it was justified too by a factor rarely mentioned now but big then (2003) - as long as Saddam was in power, US forces could not be entirely removed from the Saudi peninsula. At the time, we had significant forces in Kuwait and the UAE, a carrier battlegroup in the straits, and a RDF at Diego Garcia in case Saddam got adventurous again, in addition to Southern Watch and Desert Fox. A lot of people, me included, thought then that the reason for the terrorists attacking us was our presence on their holy land. Removing Saddam would allow us to leave the region.

Well, that decision point arrived in December 2003, when we captured Saddam. Bush & Co were left with two choices:

1) Declare victory and get out of Dodge immediately.

2) Give the fledgling Iraqi "government" a chance to succeed by sticking around a little longer.

At the time, either seemed like a reasonable choice, though we now know that the right answer was #1. Why? Because the Iraqis don't really want their "democracy" or anything like it - at least not enough to really attempt to make progress towards that goal. Same thing in Somalia - you don't hear much about Somalia today, but the problems now are at least as great as they were when we went in, and for the same cause - local warlords who just cannot resist killing people and squandering what few resources the country has. Only this time, nobody cares enough any more, because, as one BBC reporter said, "We've found that the West shouldn't try and help the Somali people - they're not worth it."

Absolutely right. I've come to the conclusion now that it's foolish to even try and save these people if they don't immediately ask for our assistance. If even a significant fraction of the population wants us out and is willing to fight to secure that goal, let them wallow in their own cesspit without spending any more of America's lives and treasure. We've got to stop using our military to do anything other than protect us and destroy threats to the nation. They can't do "nation building" - that always has to come from within. Certainly we're seeing that in Iraq now.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:35 am

Airshark I don't disagree with everything you say, just most of it. Your argument makes so many false assumptions and conveniently ignores so many glaring facts that your conclusions are almost totally irrelevant. I'm not even going to start refuting it point by point as to do so would mean writing a post at least twice as long as your own, but I will point out your most glaring assumption (by omission) which is that US energy security and the military-industrial pork barrel had absolutely nothing to do with the invasion and continued occupation of Iraq. You make out like we did all this purely for the good of the Iraqi people which is utter, utter bollocks.

"Trying to justify this war is like trying to justify rape; you can dress up your excuses as fancy as you like, but in the end you should just damn well be ashamed of yourself" (Ian Banks, The Steep Approach to Garbadale)

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:03 pm

blackworx wrote:Airshark I don't disagree with everything you say, just most of it. Your argument makes so many false assumptions and conveniently ignores so many glaring facts that your conclusions are almost totally irrelevant. I'm not even going to start refuting it point by point as to do so would mean writing a post at least twice as long as your own, but I will point out your most glaring assumption (by omission) which is that US energy security and the military-industrial pork barrel had absolutely nothing to do with the invasion and continued occupation of Iraq. You make out like we did all this purely for the good of the Iraqi people which is utter, utter bollocks.

"Trying to justify this war is like trying to justify rape; you can dress up your excuses as fancy as you like, but in the end you should just damn well be ashamed of yourself" (Ian Banks, The Steep Approach to Garbadale)
Is it an assumption by omission if I didn't say it, and you're making the assumption and ascribing it to me?

I don't think there was a single false assumption in there. It's not refutation to simply say that you could refute my argument, but it's not worth your time. :lol:

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:27 pm

you don't hear much about Somalia today, but the problems now are at least as great as they were when we went in, and for the same cause - local warlords who just cannot resist killing people
....usually with weapons supplied by the US, Russia, China, etc. is it only me who finds it absurd that a country can be starving but still afford guns (and find plenty of people willing to sell them to a dirt-poor, conflict-riven state). military-industrial complex.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:12 am

jaganath wrote:
you don't hear much about Somalia today, but the problems now are at least as great as they were when we went in, and for the same cause - local warlords who just cannot resist killing people
....usually with weapons supplied by the US, Russia, China, etc. is it only me who finds it absurd that a country can be starving but still afford guns (and find plenty of people willing to sell them to a dirt-poor, conflict-riven state). military-industrial complex.
It's exactly a repeat of Eritrea and Ethiopia, where the government was often happier to get shipments of light armored vehicles from the Soviets than they were to get grain from the West. Both are weapons in the hands of these bastards - the former you use to kill your enemies directly, while the latter you withhold from the areas that support your enemies.

I don't think this is about a military industrial complex, simply because there's not that much money being made here. It's about "leaders" who'd rather own a bigger piece of a country falling apart than improve that country's position.

PJ O'Rourke said it best - many of these countries have problems unique to Africa, and the men who created those problems were largely Africans. He proposes that this one of the few areas of the world where you really can effect positive change with an assassin's bullet. It may be chic to blame the superpowers (and former superpowers), but there are tons of these countries where no proxy conflicts were ever fought, where no external nations have been pumping them full of arms, and where nobody has made any really big money selling guns. Instead, it was citizens of these very countries actively going out and soliciting military hardware and training so as to better kill their local enemies.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:20 am

Airshark wrote:Is it an assumption by omission if I didn't say it, and you're making the assumption and ascribing it to me?
In that case please do tell. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Airshark wrote:It's not refutation to simply say that you could refute my argument, but it's not worth your time.
In that case it's just as well I made no claims to refutation then, isn't it? I'm glad you find it all so funny.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:03 am

blackworx wrote:
Airshark wrote:Is it an assumption by omission if I didn't say it, and you're making the assumption and ascribing it to me?
Well, I prefer to place the responsibility for the Iraq war directly on the shoulders of the administration, and not some amorphous and ill-defined cabal of "military industrialists". Now, the administration is itself not just a single individual, but rather a group of people with divergent goals.

First of all, the man at the top is highly religious, fairly gullible, easily led, and really, really happy to be the President of the United States. For these reasons, I believe he really and truly believed he was doing the right thing at the time of the initial invasion - he simply excluded evidence that didn't fit his world view from his thinking. And that world view was basically "Saddam is a bastard, he MUST have had something to do with 9/11, and for sure he had weapons of mass destruction - I have the opportunity to do something really great, show that I'm a great President, Rushmore-quality, by finally fixing the Middle East, starting with Iraq." And so he sent in the military, and they kicked ass and took names, including Saddam's. But here's where the second part of those characteristics took over - his desire to remain President. Even a casual observer (and they don't come more casual than Bush) is bound to notice that Americans have never voted a war president out of office. While there were real reasons to believe that it might be possible to salvage something good out of Iraq in December 2003, what pushed Dubya over the edge was the idea that he could call upon American's deep-seated disgust at leaving a war unwon to get him re-elected in 2004. In that light, the decision to stay after Saddam was captured was inevitable.

There's a lot of other guys that make up the administration, including but not limited to Dick Cheney. These guys are true believers, especially Cheney. They're willing to play fast and loose with the facts to carry out the policies that they are certain should be followed, and hang the Constitution and the sensibilities of those of us who aren't fond of fabricated evidence. I dismiss out of hand their connections with Halliburton, or the oil industry, etc, for a simple reason - while I am not prepared to say the Vice President of the United States cannot be bought, I am reasonably convinced he cannot be bought cheaply. And Cheney's personal share of whatever profits are being made in Iraq are peanuts. No, I'm afraid ol' Dick really and truly believes that a tough foreign policy is best, no matter who else thinks otherwise.

One more thing: it's not obvious, even now, that a lot of the reasons Colin Powell enumerated before the start of the Iraq War weren't in fact legitimate, in accordance with the best intelligence available. For example, WMD. NOBODY seriously doubted that Saddam had some, even if they weren't found by Hans Blix and his ilk. Note that even Blix told a tale of Iraqi deception and concealment. My personal gut feeling is that even Saddam thought he had WMD, and was simply being deceived by his own people in the military and research communities in Iraq. When the time came to use them, he found out he was wrong - but think about it, isn't it fairly plausible that if you're a rational military commander, you know you can't use real WMD on the West because you'll get killed - but you'd also better not tell Saddam that, because you'll also be killed. Now imagine similar questions being put to the head of Iraq's nuclear program. Is he going to be the one to tell Saddam that no progress has been made in securing him a nuclear weapon?

The French intelligence services thought Saddam had WMD. The Russians thought Saddam had WMD. The British thought Saddam had WMD. And most of the CIA thought Saddam had WMD. It is entirely conceivable to me that the administration was sincere when they said that it was necessary to invade to remove WMD. Ditto for Iraq's support for 9/11. Same again for their support of terrorism. When they found out they were wrong, truly evil men would have fabricated WMD and claimed they found them - which was what I expected to happen. People wanted to believe Saddam was involved with 9/11. People wanted tto believe Iraq was a hotbed of terrorist training. And so it became very, very difficult for those who had provided those erroneous intelligence estimates, as well as the politicians who made the decisions, to avoid selling that belief even though they now knew it to be largely false.

To say that the Iraq war was started for the purpose of producing and expending munitions strikes me as a little naive. The reasons I think we went to war meet the test of Occam's Razor much more squarely than a giant economic conspiracy, especially since we already spend more on armaments than the rest of the world combined, even without Iraq. Since the invasion, oil production from the region has decreased, not increased - if the oil companies are behind it all, they sure are stupid. The military itself isn't doing all that well financially and recruitment-wise - are you suggesting that perhaps guys like Blackwater are responsible for getting this war started? Seems pretty unlikely to me. If it's the defense industry in general, well, they're pretty dumb too if they're responsible, because the Iraq war is being fought with low-tech, relatively inexpensive hardware (not surprising, since there's no advanced enemy to overcome) in vast quantities. The war is about logistics, not military hardware. Lockheed would have made much more money selling Raptors that'll never fight, General Dynamics and Newport News and Boeing and the rest would have done better selling Star Wars antimissile systems that'll never even be tested, ATGMs that will sit in warehouses, ATACMS that will never be deployed, and nuclear subs that have no opponents if they weren't draining the military budget (and the general fund) procuring plain old bullets and rifles. And nothing sours Americans on purchasing armaments more than when they don't work - and Al Qaeda, though now starting to show some serious cracks, is still around.

The simplest explanations are best. A whole bunch of people, including the President and the rest of the administration, simply made gigantic mistakes, and their personailities and character were such that it was much easier to try and cover their butts than admit they had made those mistakes. Never ascribe to malice what can legitimately be explained by stupidity. I try to live my life by that idea. I've found that it's almost universally a more accurate way of looking at things than the reverse.

OK, THAT's what my thoughts are on this matter. Not making "assumptions by omission".

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:22 am

Well said, and completely truthful. Wishing things were different from what they are might make a person feel better (The OP bumper sticker), but it won't change the facts as you stated here. Thanks....

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:23 am

Hello,

The amount of money that the VP (or anybody else) makes personally is not only thing that can corrupt the policy: it's all the no-bid contracts that were handed out, all the mercenary companies hired, all the millions of dollars on shrink wrapped palettes, all the privatized intelligence, etc. that have motivated them.

Why did they go after Joe Wilson so hard if they "knew" their "evidence" was so strong? Why did they stovepipe things straight to Cheney, and lean so hard on the analysts? Why did they leak info to the press, and then point to the resulting stories as their "evidence"? Why did they lie to their own press officers?

I think that Colin Powell was very reluctant to do what he did, and after he found out he had been used, he resigned.

It was an echo chamber...

Excellent post BTW -- you have made your position much clearer.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:25 am

Airshark wrote:
blackworx wrote:
Well, I prefer to place the responsibility for the Iraq war directly on the shoulders of the administration, and not some amorphous and ill-defined cabal of "military industrialists". Now, the administration is itself not just a single individual, but rather a group of people with divergent goals.

First of all, the man at the top is highly religious, fairly gullible, easily led, and really, really happy to be the President of the United States. For these reasons, I believe he really and truly believed he was doing the right thing at the time of the initial invasion - he simply excluded evidence that didn't fit his world view from his thinking. And that world view was basically "Saddam is a bastard, he MUST have had something to do with 9/11, and for sure he had weapons of mass destruction - I have the opportunity to do something really great, show that I'm a great President, Rushmore-quality, by finally fixing the Middle East, starting with Iraq." And so he sent in the military, and they kicked ass and took names, including Saddam's. But here's where the second part of those characteristics took over - his desire to remain President. Even a casual observer (and they don't come more casual than Bush) is bound to notice that Americans have never voted a war president out of office. While there were real reasons to believe that it might be possible to salvage something good out of Iraq in December 2003, what pushed Dubya over the edge was the idea that he could call upon American's deep-seated disgust at leaving a war unwon to get him re-elected in 2004. In that light, the decision to stay after Saddam was captured was inevitable.
At this point it ceased to be a war, and instead became mass murder. Harsh, I know. But I don't know what else to call the killing of thousands of people for personal gain. If there's any slack to be cut to Bush here, it's that it wasn't strictly for his own personal gain. It was part of Rove's 'Permanant Republican majority' scheme. But that only changes things around the margins. There is no denying that repubs used a conflation of the Iraq war and national security as a political bludgeon. IF the war was continued for this reason, there's no getting around murder.
There's a lot of other guys that make up the administration, including but not limited to Dick Cheney. These guys are true believers, especially Cheney. They're willing to play fast and loose with the facts to carry out the policies that they are certain should be followed, and hang the Constitution and the sensibilities of those of us who aren't fond of fabricated evidence. I dismiss out of hand their connections with Halliburton, or the oil industry, etc, for a simple reason - while I am not prepared to say the Vice President of the United States cannot be bought, I am reasonably convinced he cannot be bought cheaply. And Cheney's personal share of whatever profits are being made in Iraq are peanuts. No, I'm afraid ol' Dick really and truly believes that a tough foreign policy is best, no matter who else thinks otherwise.
You're describing an either/or scenario. I don't doubt that Cheney and his neocon thugs are true believers, but you don't account for the influence of money. As little regard as I have for the crew that concocted this scheme, I do not think they did it so that they could make a fortune. At the same time, it's a stretch to think that their pending fortunes did not influence their views. It would be niave to think that power, money and oil rights were not part of the fabric of what they saw as an improved Middle East.
One more thing: it's not obvious, even now, that a lot of the reasons Colin Powell enumerated before the start of the Iraq War weren't in fact legitimate, in accordance with the best intelligence available. For example, WMD. NOBODY seriously doubted that Saddam had some, even if they weren't found by Hans Blix and his ilk. Note that even Blix told a tale of Iraqi deception and concealment. My personal gut feeling is that even Saddam thought he had WMD, and was simply being deceived by his own people in the military and research communities in Iraq. When the time came to use them, he found out he was wrong - but think about it, isn't it fairly plausible that if you're a rational military commander, you know you can't use real WMD on the West because you'll get killed - but you'd also better not tell Saddam that, because you'll also be killed. Now imagine similar questions being put to the head of Iraq's nuclear program. Is he going to be the one to tell Saddam that no progress has been made in securing him a nuclear weapon?
A more likely speculation is that Saddam was bluffing all along. It fits with the loudmouth, bully type that he was. As a 'defense system' WMD aren't as much of a weapon as the belief that they will inevitably be used. Saddam's economy was trashed after the 1rst Gulf War. If he could convince his neighbors that he had this weaponry, he had no need to deploy his resources to actually amass them.
The French intelligence services thought Saddam had WMD. The Russians thought Saddam had WMD. The British thought Saddam had WMD. And most of the CIA thought Saddam had WMD.
This is pretty dodgy. There were plenty in CIA who believed otherwise, but were roundly ignored. The French and Russians apparantly didn't believe there was enough of a threat to warrant invasion - remember Freedom Fries? And remember that the Yellowcake 'intelligence' flowed through the French intel services to the British, after it had been planted with the Italians. This was infamously debunked with 5 minutes on Google, and led to the outting of a covert CIA asset whose responsibilities included monitoring WMD in the middle east - of all things!
The simplest explanations are best. A whole bunch of people, including the President and the rest of the administration, simply made gigantic mistakes, and their personailities and character were such that it was much easier to try and cover their butts than admit they had made those mistakes. Never ascribe to malice what can legitimately be explained by stupidity. I try to live my life by that idea. I've found that it's almost universally a more accurate way of looking at things than the reverse.
For the most part I agree. But I never discount the influence of money or malice. Both can be determining factors without ever being 'The Reason'.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 am

Its so much better to be after smart... That's why arm chair generals and sofa soldiers are type I can't stand. They think they know what war is like even they have never gone thru any kind of military training or situation and they "know" all the facts and how peoples should act in combat situation.

Such peoples don't know about addrenaline rush and its effects. They may have read about those things but you don't know what its like when your vision of field narrows done about half your regular vision and everything in side goes blur and you just react for the movement.

its easy to say: Iraq never had WMD's now you know it but not when it was on topic and decision was made. Saddam had record of using WMD's. So threat was there to be begin with. Saddam have had WMD's and Saddam had used them. Danger at the time was real.

Its far easier to condemen everything now 7 years after everything when you have all the knowlege of these days. Its so much easier to be after smart... That's why after smart peoples never stay in history but peoples who were smart before hand and acted are in history.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:59 am

thejamppa wrote:Its so much better to be after smart... That's why arm chair generals and sofa soldiers are type I can't stand. They think they know what war is like even they have never gone thru any kind of military training or situation and they "know" all the facts and how peoples should act in combat situation.

Such peoples don't know about addrenaline rush and its effects. They may have read about those things but you don't know what its like when your vision of field narrows done about half your regular vision and everything in side goes blur and you just react for the movement.

its easy to say: Iraq never had WMD's now you know it but not when it was on topic and decision was made. Saddam had record of using WMD's. So threat was there to be begin with. Saddam have had WMD's and Saddam had used them. Danger at the time was real.

Its far easier to condemen everything now 7 years after everything when you have all the knowlege of these days. Its so much easier to be after smart... That's why after smart peoples never stay in history but peoples who were smart before hand and acted are in history.
Does it then follow that those who bought the Bush regime's parade of lies are the pre dumb? Just askin.
Obviously, there are many people who have changed their minds about the wisdom of Bush's Excellent Adventure. But there are also many who recognized it as an epic blunder before it even started - and I'm not talking about garden variety 'peaceniks and hippies'. There were intelligence analysts, military, diplomats, historians, experts on the region, etc, who if not ignored, were insulted and belittled when they raised their concerns. This, as much as the war itself, is Bush's legacy.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:57 am

Bush is eager gunslinger but he just tries to clean his father's mess. If Bush Senior wouldn't be so affraid losing few more men in Gulf War, could he removed Saddam with legimate reason, before Al-Qaeda rised. Would have thousands be saved now. Sr. Had legimate reason to invade Iraq and remove Saddam... He did not. Even Syria backed Gulf War and lend its troops. But this is just being after smart aswell.

Why I would not be surprised if Jr just does as his father told him to and all this mess is just Sr's attempt to clean his own mess from 1991...

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:27 am

Hello,

Al-Qaeda came out of Afganistan -- and we the USA supported (created?) Osama bin Laden.

Al-Qaeda has nothing to do with Iraq, or the first Gulf War.

And some of us predicted that George W. Bush would invade Iraq -- when he got elected.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:47 am

thejamppa wrote:Bush is eager gunslinger but he just tries to clean his father's mess. If Bush Senior wouldn't be so affraid losing few more men in Gulf War, could he removed Saddam with legimate reason, before Al-Qaeda rised. Would have thousands be saved now. Sr. Had legimate reason to invade Iraq and remove Saddam... He did not. Even Syria backed Gulf War and lend its troops. But this is just being after smart aswell.

Why I would not be surprised if Jr just does as his father told him to and all this mess is just Sr's attempt to clean his own mess from 1991...
Actually, I draw the exact opposite conclusion. Bush's father proved that Saddam could be neutered without invading. Other thatn the fact that it didn't allow removal of US forces from the Gulf, the short end to the first gulf war looks like a pretty sound policy now. If he had advanced to Baghdad in 1991 and deposed Saddam then, I think we simply would have had to do the occupation ten years earlier.

But Bush Sr had to also be a lesson for his son in another way: he "won" the war, gloriously, and then got voted out. Americans have a real history of doing this (the British too) - it is often fatal to your political career to end a war, even in victory.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:49 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello,

Al-Qaeda came out of Afganistan -- and we the USA supported (created?) Osama bin Laden.

Al-Qaeda has nothing to do with Iraq, or the first Gulf War.

And some of us predicted that George W. Bush would invade Iraq -- when he got elected.
A bit of a stretch to say that we "created" Osama Bin Laden. Yes, we armed him against the Russians. But the guy was straight-up crazy and has had as one of his goals the overthrow of his own government (Saudi Arabia) for decades. Given his broad financial support, he was going to be a world-class pain in the arse regardless of anything we did in the seventies and eighties.

walle

Post by walle » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:53 pm

I believe Osama Bin Laden was on CIA’s payroall at one time, he did receive medical treatment at a US hospital just prior to 911, if I recall correctly. And his family members was evacuated immediately after 911, not to say that those family members had anything to do with 911, after all; the family is supposedly quite large and might as such not keep track on the familys black cheep, so quickly evacuating them made perhaps sense.

The CIA for instance (parts of them of course, it’s a big organisation) made sure that Iran didn’t turn democratic during the 80’s, just to name one of their lesser fine moments. An action which today has pawed the way (not suggesting intentionally here) for the mess we have today whilst also given the Neo Cons the opportunity to, yet again, beat on the war drum !

The present is (though, not always) a result of the past, something well worth keeping in mind during this discussion.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Airshark wrote:are you suggesting that perhaps guys like Blackwater are responsible for getting this war started?
Not at all. I am painfully aware that there are those who hysterically finger-point and shout "conspiracy" no matter what the administration or any of these guys do. What I am suggesting is that you understate the influence wielded by the MIC and the fact that the current administration and the MIC are so closely tied that, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, they might as well be one entity. To say that there would not have been "enough" money to be made from the invasion of Iraq alone is beside the point. These guys lobby hard for business and to justify spending on all the hardware they develop and manufacture, from lead slugs to unmanned Reapers, along with whatever else is currently in the pipeline. A climate of fear and aggression is good for business. These guys have a political agenda and they have the money, contacts and lobbying power to work towards achieving it. I'm not painting them as Dr. Evils, hellbent on sending the world to its fiery doom. These are normal guys who truly believe they are doing good for the world by selling enormous guns to people.

What's more, this climate of fear and aggression I mention did not come about because of 9/11, or Al Qaeda, or Saddam Hussein, or the so-called Axis of Evil... Bush & co would have us believe that radical Islamism (and Al Qaeda in particular) represents a massive, sinister force of destruction ranged against our very way of life. You state yourself: "it's them or us", but who are "they"? "They" are deluded fantasists, nothing more. You are talking about people whose mindset is that of being willing to blow themselves up to make a point. The only ones who are competent enough to get through (I'm thinking 9/11 and the 7/7 in particular) are all dead. This country carried on successfully for 6 years with hundreds and thousands of tonnes of explosives rained down on us every single night by competent Germans. 55-60,000 civilians died - three 9/11's for every year of the war - and the world as we knew it did not crumble; civilisation did not falter. By comparison these terrorist attacks are mere bagatelle, so where did our cajones go all of a sudden and why do we need this massive operation against world terror? Or could it just be that we 'need' a common enemy and GWB's administration needed a bit of moral authority?
The French intelligence services thought Saddam had WMD. The Russians thought Saddam had WMD. The British thought Saddam had WMD. And most of the CIA thought Saddam had WMD. It is entirely conceivable to me that the administration was sincere when they said that it was necessary to invade to remove WMD.
Whereas it is entirely conceivable to me that the administration was sincere in its need for a excuse to invade, and that they were going to find one come hell or high water. The erroneous intelligence estimates you mention were not grounds for attack on their own. In the first place intelligence agencies by their very nature recirculate lies between each other to the extent that they become the truth, then on top of that it is widely accepted that these were "sexed up" for obvious reasons - hardened to remove any possible doubt from their wording. But why remove that doubt unless invasion was a fait accompli and the pill was in need of being sweetened? The presence of WMD in Iraq was already stretching the bounds of acceptability as a reason for invasion anyway.

Airshark, you're clearly no fool and I don't think you're arguing from a vastly different standpoint to my own; you just seem more willing to accept actions and decisions I find abhorrent. I feel there can be little justification for much of what has happened in the name of this War on Terror, especially given the reality of the threat represented by the "enemy".

You are absolutely right when you state that nation building has to come from within. But, speaking of Iraq in particular, you are wrong when you ascribe the failure of that process to the populace. Iraq is one of many countries which is seriousy f*cked up through decades of abusive Western foreign policy - it is now very much a case of too many cooks having spoiled the broth. The thing is, you can throw soup down the toilet and start again...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Just watched the 60 Minutes story about Orthodox Christians in Iraq. Just about completely wiped out now, killed or they ran for their lives to Syria and such. The last of the Orthodox priests still there called it the worst it's ever been since the dawn of Christianity.

Mission not accomplished, far from it.

You can't ask the priest to elaborate on what he said, he's been killed as well.