Hot....Firefox 3.0 Final.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Hot....Firefox 3.0 Final.

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 am

Get it while it's hot..... Firefox 3.0. Don't know how they could improve the current version, since it seems to have few faults....maybe more security. :?

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:42 am

Seems to run pretty good. Almost all Mozilla servers are dead right now.

Try entering about:config or about:robots. :lol:

Greg F.

Firefox

Post by Greg F. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:43 am

I like the Fast Dial with up to 24 sites
Also the way you can go into the address box on the top and type for a search.
It is much quicker and apparently uses less memory.
And I believe the type seems a little clearer to these old eyes.
Also I am not mistaken the ability to delete a bookmark in the list of bookmarks without closing the bookmark list is new. But maybe I could just never get it straight on the last version.
I had started to use Opera, but not now.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:50 am

Browsing the forums is definitely faster in FF3.

xev

Post by xev » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:27 am

i was gonna post so people get it. so go get it!! its good and fast.

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 am

So, what did they steal from Opera in this release?

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:40 am

Matija:
Speed Dial for one thing. :wink:

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:45 am

Ah, of course.

I'm just waiting for Firefox 4.0 to include some kind of ad blocking, and for Mozilla and their zealots to proclaim they are the first browser ever to have that.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:56 am

Matija wrote:Ah, of course.

I'm just waiting for Firefox 4.0 to include some kind of ad blocking, and for Mozilla and their zealots to proclaim they are the first browser ever to have that.
Don't need to...AdBlock Plus is already available as a plugin and very customizable.

God, I love FF!!

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:22 pm

How can you love a browser that has extremely little functionality by default?

What happens when you need to use another computer somewhere else, and your set of necessary extensions is not installed?

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Matija wrote:Ah, of course.

Actually, for a very long time (until version 9x) Opera refused on principle to implement any sort of integrated ad-blocking, in spite of repeated requests from their users for something similar to Firefox's AdBlock extension.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=75874

You'd really have to be a totally blinkered Opera zealot to proclaim that Firefox is playing catch-up in this respect, at least.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 pm

usb memory stick with the apps and extension on it? :D

I'm a big Firefox fan as well and just run it with 2 add-ons: Ad Block + and No Script. It's all I need.

croddie

Re: Hot....Firefox 3.0 Final.

Post by croddie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Bluefront wrote:Don't know how they could improve the current version
Lots of ways they could improve on Firefox 3:
-different windows/tabs in separate threads (IE is more responsive than FF because of this. Also IE responds better to crashes although it does crash more)
-memory leak (Still leaks memory. Better threading would minimize effect of leaks)
-ability to open exe files directly (now you have to save and then open in explorer)
-ability to disable virus checking of downloads (holds up downloads significantly)
-remembering of global zoom level (currently requires add-on)
-organizing bookmarks is cumbersome
-toolbar clutter is minimal but could be even more so

But it's much much better than FF2. The rendering is much better and zoom now works properly (it doesn't just zoom text). I prefer it now to IE7 and use it all the time, but IE8 could catch up.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:58 pm

croddie wrote:-ability to disable virus checking of downloads (holds up downloads significantly)
in about:config

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone = false
croddie wrote: -ability to open exe files directly (now you have to save and then open in explorer)
Not sure that would necessarily be a good thing... :shock:

croddie

Post by croddie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 pm

nick705 wrote:
croddie wrote:-ability to disable virus checking of downloads (holds up downloads significantly)
in about:config
browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone = false
Thanks! (Of course the average user won't find this and I won't remember it the next time I install FF.)
Not sure that would necessarily be a good thing... :shock:
Making _all_ exe files three steps harder to use (find, open, delete) is not the most brilliant approach against viruses. Even if a user wants to run an exe file that is a virus he will still do it, it will just take 10 seconds longer.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm

croddie wrote: Making _all_ exe files three steps harder to use (find, open, delete) is not the most brilliant approach against viruses. Even if a user wants to run an exe file that is a virus he will still do it, it will just take 10 seconds longer.
Maybe so, but I suppose they're just trying to lessen the chances of accidents happening... it does at least mean that running an .exe takes a deliberate and conscious effort. If it were possible to do it directly, many people might absent-mindedly run something nasty with a single ill-judged click or two.

At least it won't gobble up .exes without trace, like Outlook does... :D
Last edited by nick705 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:44 pm

These tired eyes are loving the new zoom window feature.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Matija wrote:So, what did they steal from Opera in this release?
The in-address-bar history search, except crippled. Fear not, there'll be an extension, or ten, to try and bring it up to Opera's functionality.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:33 pm

-different windows/tabs in separate threads (IE is more responsive than FF because of this. Also IE responds better to crashes although it does crash more)
I will take your word for that, I have shunned IE7 since the first time I used it, it is so slow, even on a fast PC, I also dont use tabs (except by accident, I just dont see the point of them, but thats my personal choice).
-ability to open exe files directly (now you have to save and then open in explorer)
One of the many things that make Firefox better than IE, is its security, this is a wonderful feature that helps stupid people and drive-by-downloads from websites.
-ability to disable virus checking of downloads (holds up downloads significantly)
Didnt make any difference to me, I downloaded Firefox 3 using version 2 @ 950 KB/s with my AV running.
These tired eyes are loving the new zoom window feature.
How do you do that.??? I know how to zoom (Shift and +/-) is this any different from what you mean.?

Andy

Stravos

Post by Stravos » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Ctrl +/- now enlarges the entire page (text, images, tables, etc) instead of just the text, as before. Can't say I'll use it a lot, but it's a neat feature.

Right now the Awesome Bar is anything but. I'm hoping I'll get used to it... I do see possibilities, but I keep getting the wrong pages when I'm not paying attention :p

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Stravos wrote:Ctrl +/- now enlarges the entire page (text, images, tables, etc) instead of just the text, as before. Can't say I'll use it a lot, but it's a neat feature.
Previously, Ctrl +/- just changed font size and not the window. So, when you had a window with a couple of fixed frames, you ended up with a couple of words per line. Now, I can enlarge the entire window to my widescreen monitor and it all sizes to proportion.

croddie

Post by croddie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:46 pm

andyb wrote:One of the many things that make Firefox better than IE, is its security, this is a wonderful feature that helps stupid people and drive-by-downloads from websites.
I agree this may be useful for stupid people (as it may prevent them from using exe files altogether). I am not stupid (and I am sure you are not either) and so I don't want this anti-feature.
Didnt make any difference to me, I downloaded Firefox 3 using version 2 @ 950 KB/s with my AV running.
It happens at the end of a download.

Stravos

Post by Stravos » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:08 pm

To me it seems like one of the *only* useful tasks an AV app can do is scan incoming files. If you're so confident that you aren't going to be downloading any files of questionable integrity, why have AV at all?

croddie

Post by croddie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Files were getting scanned twice. Don't know if this is fixed in the released version apart from the tweak nick705 suggested.
The best time to scan a file anyway is during idle time.

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:58 pm

nick705 wrote:Actually, for a very long time (until version 9x) Opera refused on principle to implement any sort of integrated ad-blocking, in spite of repeated requests from their users for something similar to Firefox's AdBlock extension.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=75874

You'd really have to be a totally blinkered Opera zealot to proclaim that Firefox is playing catch-up in this respect, at least.
Opera had URL filtering (not your standard ad blocking, but good enough) since version 6 (released in 2001) and a friendly user interface is available since Opera 9. Firefox still has nothing.

Oh, and I see they've stolen zoom as well, another thing present in Opera for more than half a decade :)

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Matija wrote: Opera had URL filtering (not your standard ad blocking, but good enough) since version 6 (released in 2001) and a friendly user interface is available since Opera 9. Firefox still has nothing.

Oh, and I see they've stolen zoom as well, another thing present in Opera for more than half a decade :)
I really hope you're not going to repeat the tired old meme about AdBlock being "only" an extension. :P

I used to get so tired of the Mozilla forums - whenever a new feature was discussed in Firefox, you'd get some Opera troll butting in for no reason other than to bang on about the superiority of their own pet browser, how Opera thought of [insert feature here] first, etc, etc... and the same thing happened in reverse on the Opera forums of course. I would have expected rather better of people here. :(

You like Opera, that's fine, so do I as it happens, but this thread is about Firefox 3 and its features.

I do realise you probably mean it in a light-hearted way, and you're not one of the abominable fanboys found on the other forums, but I'm afraid the whole thing is so old now it's lost any amusement value it may once have had.
croddie wrote:Don't know if this is fixed in the released version apart from the tweak nick705 suggested.
Nope. :(

In some of the earlier releases, this "feature" was deemed essential and it wasn't even possible to disable it in about:config, but it was received with a certain amount of hostility, as you might expect... :lol:

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:06 pm

I know. I find the whole thing hilarious because - let's face it - Mozilla *does* steal from Opera whenever it gets the chance, and then there's zealous defence from people who think the browser is called Fire Fox or FireFox. That one really cracks me up.

BTW, Opera 9.5 is horrible, I wouldn't wish it even upon my worst enemy.

Mescalero

Post by Mescalero » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:57 am

BTW, Opera 9.5 is horrible, I wouldn't wish it even upon my worst enemy.
Opera 9.5 works great here. I'm waiting for my new laptop to see how well Opera Link works. ThsT#s going to be really sweet to automatically synchronize all your bookmarks and notes betwenn the different devices.

I'm not trolling here. I'm just a little sad, that a new FF version gets all kinds of press coverage while no one cares about a new Opera.
I had hoped that with Opera's dominance in the mobile market, things would also change in the desktop market. Apparntly not, sad.

Licaon
Friend of SPCR

Post by Licaon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm a happy Opera user since version 8.5

but if FF3 can bring on the heat in the browser wars so be it... more competition means happier users! :)

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:50 pm

I like Opera's "fit to width" feature. I don't believe FF does it. Not that I can see. I have been wrong before.
I do like the look of Opera 9.5. Is that what you call the renderer?
I have never been able to use Opera Mail. I go through the configuration and then it tells me something like the smtp is wrong. Right now I am not receiving any mail. Well Opera, you set it up! I haven't changed anything.

I like the Firefox Curacao theme. I use extensions: Keyscrambler, Foxmarks bookmark syncer, Answers, Forecast Fox and several others.

Would it be inappropriate to mention here that I like the new Flock browser?:shock: