How to build a LOUD comput0r

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rebellious

How to build a LOUD comput0r

Post by Rebellious » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Where can you buy a loud case and loud components? The noisier the better, I wanna scare my girlfriend.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Umm, you'll have to look around at computer stores, preferably overclocking focused ones, but you won't be able to just find stuff that claims to be loud, that would just be senseless. You'll have to understand what exactly makes PCs quiter, and do the inverse.

If you want a case that'll make it much louder, an undampened aluminum one should do the job.

But don't waste your money on making the whole thing as loud as possible, you'll regret it... just like I've regretted having made my PC unusual, overly modified and an incredible pain in the ass to move around just to try and save a few bucks at every opportunity. Just slap on a few delta fans, it'll be loud enough.

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:31 pm

Search on newegg for case fans that are 50+ dBA. I saw a cheap 3800 RPM 120 mm fan on there. Five or six of those and you are good to go.

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Let's have fun !

If i had to do this, i would get the lightest case possible and try to loosen screws or rivets to spruce up vibrations, make sure it has the smallest/most restrictive grills at intake and exhaust possible. Why not cut a few blowhole to weaken the case structure some more and allow more noise to escape as well....

Then i would hard-mount a lot of old HDs with different rotational speed to induce resonance. Same with CD/DVD-ROMs drives.

Of couse, getting a no-name 80mm PSU would be the best as those are usually not speed controlled and almost always have coil noise.

Other components then do not matter as long as you get the maximum number of noisy fans. An old motherboard with a hot chipset/ small fan combination would be a must. And then stick a noisy fan wherever you can. I would also use big fans with fan adapters for the small grills though those are becoming rare now. Nothing beats a 120mm fan coupled to a 80mm restrictive grill with an adapter. :-)

As for the fans, try to get the most powerful possible. I would look around industrial/electronics surplus stores as those usually have much more noisier/fast fans than computer stores. High-speed Delta fans are indeed horrible enough for your purpose. If you really want to be evil, you could devise a relay switch and use 120-220V industrial fans. Get them used/refurbished so you can make sure the bearings are not in good shape.

Position the assembled computer where most of the noise will be reflected or even try to put it in some enclosure to generate cavity resonnance and you are good to go.

Then again, all this is only if you are motivated enough to pull of this stunt and really want to push it to the extreme.

For the purpose of making a girlfriend run out and scream, any computer with 5 or 6 high-speed (like 3000 RPM and above) fans will most likely be sufficient.

I hope you enjoy your tinkering ! And i pity your girlfriend as well.... :-)

proc

60mm Delta fans

Post by proc » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:56 am

When I run my PC review site, I received some heatsinks with this fan http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=600138

6800RPM :shock:

I once got a bleeding finger by inadvertently touching the blades while they were spinning.

I think you can find some used unbalanced :twisted: samples if you search for them.

They are the best to make a PC loud (and don't forget some old fujitsu or maxtor hard drive).

I forgot to add that they are not only loud, but I find their noise very irritating.

tufish

Post by tufish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:31 am

i have the solution for what u are looking for.... try putting a piece of lite plastic or cardboard to touch the blades off your fans(like xray plastic) that will boost the sound to unimaginable Db. :lol:

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:53 am

Or a can of coke!

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 am

tufish wrote:i have the solution for what u are looking for.... try putting a piece of lite plastic or cardboard to touch the blades off your fans(like xray plastic) that will boost the sound to unimaginable Db. :lol:
I had that on my bicycle when I was a kid. Maybe some 35mm film on the fan blades will make a good turbulence. :idea:

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 am

Check out this discussion. 8)

I think the case in the later posts would do the job quite nicely. :lol:

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 am

Mount this bad boy to a ninja

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:16 am

That's some gadget! What is it? Does it vibrate? My girlfriend loves "toys", whoever said that girls don't like power-tools was wrong.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Rebellious wrote:That's some gadget! What is it? Does it vibrate? My girlfriend loves "toys", whoever said that girls don't like power-tools was wrong.
The bane of every suburban sleeppyhead...Two stoke leaf blower, some produce over 200 mph air at the tip and well over 100db.

If what you say about your GF is true, we're going to need pictures!

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: How to build a LOUD comput0r

Post by nutball » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Rebellious wrote:Where can you buy a loud case and loud components? The noisier the better, I wanna scare my girlfriend.
I wholeheartedly recommend getting as many 40x38mm high-speed fans as you can physically fit into your case. A dozen or so will fit in a 1U server so in a proper PC case you should be looking a a couple of hundred. You'll be getting phone-calls from the nearest international airport from annoyed 747 pilots who can't hear whether their engines are running properly over the racket.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Found link to pic:

Don't know what fans were used, but swap those with Delta screamers and you've got a winner. :twisted:

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:38 pm

I was looking for that pic... :D

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:24 am

ilovejedd wrote:... but swap those with Delta screamers and you've got a winner. :twisted:
You beat me to it, you're 100% right.

Scroll down on this page:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delhigper.html

This one is particularly nasty

TFB0812UHE 7.0~13.2 VDC 1.85a 22.20w 106.26 CFM 65.0 dB 8000RPM

You're going to need a substantial power supply, and maybe some anchors so the thing doesn't just get up and fly away, depending on fan orientation. :shock:

Five bucks says dust accumulation isn't a problem. 8)

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:43 am

Or where you referring to

Image :?:

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:48 am

Whatever you do make sure you make it louder than a vacuum cleaner. She is female, so she'll be used to that noise.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 am

You could find an old HDD, open it up and bend the head so that it scratches the disc. :D

edh

Post by edh » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Internal combustion or better still jet powered cooling would be an area worthy of investigation.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Jet powered (beer) cooler. 8)
Why? Because the can says "serve cooled"!

Cheers
Olle

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Shaman wrote:Whatever you do make sure you make it louder than a vacuum cleaner. She is female, so she'll be used to that noise.

Thats a little bit of prejudice and sexism, dont you think?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Kate wrote:
Shaman wrote:Whatever you do make sure you make it louder than a vacuum cleaner. She is female, so she'll be used to that noise.

Thats a little bit of prejudice and sexism, dont you think?
Keep 'em honest Kate :!:

BTW...did i mention how much my daughter likes running the Roomba?
;)
(We all do. of course)

:oops: oops, wrong thread.heh

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Lol Xan,

Nobody likes noise.. lol... I bought a Panasonic vacuum cleaner, which makes a lot less noise than the regular ones.. But it is still noisy...

anyways..

Its not that we like, its more that society expect us to do, so when a girl grabs a broom or a vacuum cleaner, parents cheer her, so she thinks its nice, but when she gets older and she has to do the REAL thing, its not fun anymore!

Same goes to a boy that enroll himself in a car shop, when its for play he loves it.. but if one day he decides to be a real mechanic (not an engineer, but the one with oily rough hands) he will not really like it...

Of course there will always be people who like and love what they do, but the vast majority dont!

As far as building a noisy computer, its easy, just buy the cheapest, ugliest and less eficient things you can get!

:)

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Make use of this opportunity to ask for donations. A few SPCR members must have old kit around around that's too noisy to use but that they can't bring themselves to throw out.

Forget all the tech details. I want to hear the back story on this one! :wink:

Kate

Post by Kate » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:01 pm

DanceMan wrote:Make use of this opportunity to ask for donations. A few SPCR members must have old kit around around that's too noisy to use but that they can't bring themselves to throw out.

Forget all the tech details. I want to hear the back story on this one! :wink:
I have a stock intel cooler for a Q9550... I can donate as long as someone pays for shipping...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 pm

Don't forget to take a pair of 40mm northbridge cooling fans and make earrings for your loved one. They should be at least 6000 rpm. 8)
You live next door to a Harley dealer?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:15 pm

TIP: Get the cheapest fan you can buy, and snap of a single blade, then dont tighten it into the case, screw the screws in enough so that it will vibrate and rattle.

Forget overkill with massive fan speeds, this will annoy the shit out of anyone in a few minutes. As the fan is totally unballenced it doesnt just sound horrible, but it also rattles. I accedentally snapped a blade off of a fan a couple of months ago, and every now and then i get it out and fire it up on my hard desk surface, it litterally (no kidding) bounces around the desk before finally falling over.

Andy

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Get as much second hand hard drives (preferably of the 10 year old 10k rpm variety) as you possibly can and hard mount them on an all undampened aluminum case. Add a disk benchmark to make them all spin up and seek and hey presto, your very own noise machine.

edh

Post by edh » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:44 am

Buy the entire Thermaltake range then snap fan blades off and fill the bearings up with grinding paste before loosely hard mounting everything with screws into a Thermaltake aluminium case with a set of cymbals attached to the outside of it. Also you may like to consider attaching maracas to the fan blades.