Hate to do it, but I need a screen saver

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

Hate to do it, but I need a screen saver

Post by Wedge » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:14 pm

I personally don't care for using them, but I find my new monitor's behavior of not going into standby when it is supposed to a bit distressing.

I bought this HP w2408h for Christmas. I don't regret the purchase at all, but it does not seem to go into standby when it is supposed to. Also, when it does work, it seems to have problems waking up (though this might have something to do with my HDMI switch).

So now I am looking for a screen saver (preferably free) because I simply do not like those built-in to XP. A google search for this item is simply overwhelming. I'm hoping one of you can advise a site that offers decent ones free.
Last edited by Wedge on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:30 pm

The simple solution to this is actually to turn off the monitor manually.. Also try without the switch if you can :-)

ACook

Post by ACook » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:01 pm

use the blank one in xp, it's like it being off.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:31 am

Yeah i think i'll go with that. I googled a bit for some free ones but came up short. I could only bring myself to install one, and i didn't like it. I think the problem is my paranoia of the issues these things can cause.

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Don't most graphics cards come with one? I dunno exactly, but my screen goes into the XP screensaver first with the logo jumping around the screen, and then after like 10 more minutes it'll go blank entirely, so I figured that was a hardware thing whereas the windows screensaver was a software thing..

Then again, come to think of it, the hardware wouldn't be capable of seeing the difference between a XP screensaver and normal office use..

Auroa

Post by Auroa » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:51 pm

You can have windows turn off your monitor after a period of time. It won't be completely turned off, but having it in standby mode or whatever is still better than a screensaver.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 pm

Auroa wrote:You can have windows turn off your monitor after a period of time. It won't be completely turned off, but having it in standby mode or whatever is still better than a screensaver.
Yes i agree and that is what had intended to do. But like I said, sometimes this feature works, sometimes it doesn't. It's almost like it gets a false input that keeps it awake, or there is some kind of active service running in the background that is somehow causing it to not standby. I am puzzled by this as my last CRT monitor never faltered. I am thinking it has something to do with the HDMI switch I have it connected to.