Anyone have experience with RegVac?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Anyone have experience with RegVac?

Post by Devonavar » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm thinking a registry cleaner might be a good idea for the family computer my parents use. Anyone know of a good one? I've found RegVac, but the only info that comes up on Google is either listings in software repositories, or PR "top ten" reviews. Does anyone have first-hand experience with this software?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:59 pm

Never heard of it, personally I would steer clear of all any any "automatic" registry cleaning tools that are not there to specifically remove viruses and malware.

I have never found one that has made an appreciable difference, but I have found that many of the ones that people (not found via the internet) have recommended have caused damage to the registry.

Why do you want to run a registry cleaner.?

Andy

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Hmm ... not exactly the ringing endorsement I was hoping for. Why do I want to run one? Because the computer has slowed down but is virus / malware free, and I'm looking for something more convenient than a reinstall.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:57 pm

The main reason that a virus/malware free PC that has no hardware faults slows down is loads of software running at startup and then in the background eating resources.

Your best bet would be to (if the PC is running XP).

1, Remove anything that is un-needed from the startup folder on the programs menu.

2, Use "regedit" and the search function to find all of the "run" folders and then remove anything that is un-needed from there. I have found that if you search for "runonce" and skip anything that is found in the right side of the window you will soon find the "run" folders listed in the left side of the window. If your not sure about deleting something, you can simply put a ~ (tilda) before all of the characters - this will disable the item from running, and you can simply remove it if you want it to start up later. FYI "F3" repeats the last search, it doesnt automatyically start from the top when you get to the end, you manually ahve to scroll up, and then click on "my computer" if you think you have missed something, or were just browsing as a "dummy-run" through the registry.

3, Open the "control panel", go to system > advanced > settings > advanced > virtual memory "change" button. Set it to "custom" and set the min and max to 1024MB > click the "set" button (you can select another number, 1GB is more than enough for most users, 512MB would almost certainly be fine).

4, Download and install/run "pagedefrag" and set it to run on next reboot (remember not to pounce on the keyboard when you see the blue screen apear). http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 97426.aspx

5, Delete any and all temp and temp-internet files, found in docs and setting > user name > local settings. (You can actually delete the folders). Also delete the "Temp" folder withing "Windows". These wont be visibly by default, but can easily made so within windows explorer go to Tools > folder options > view > put a "dot" in the "show hidden files and folders" option, and un-tick "hide extensions for known file types" and "hide protected operating system files".

6, Un-install any programs that never get used, or duplicate programs that sometimes occur (AOL, Acrobat reader etc, often allow you to have several versions installed side by side, yet you will only be using one of them).

7, Re-boot, watch the PC load up faster :) Now run a defrag program of your choice - do NOT run more than one program, as each program moves stuff around in a different way, you will just waste time and wear out the HDD.

There are numerous other things that you can do, but these things are about the quickest easiest things to do that will have the greatest positive affect on the PC's performance.

You will need to be careful when medling with the registry. As of the moment you delete an entry its gone, and you wont be able to get it back. There is a backup option for it though, which I never use, but I would suggest you do. Highlight "My Computer" in regedit then, File > Export > Name the file > Choose where to save it.

Andy

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Devon,

I have been using CCLeaner and EasyCleaner in tadem for years now, and I have had very good luck with them. I run CCleaner first, so it can back up the changes (though I have never had to restore anything!), and then I run EasyCleaner, reboot and run them again. Repeat until they clear out the errors. Highly recommended.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:35 am

I have been using CCLeaner and EasyCleaner in tadem for years now
I didnt know CCleaner was universal in its cleaning, it was originally called "Crap Cleaner" to remove all of the crap that new PC's come installed with after you uninstall everything that is "pre-installed". I have not heard anything bad about it, and even used it a few times myself several years ago when it was called "Crap Cleaner". So yes, you do have a recommendation after all.

Andy

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:24 am

Hi Andy,

Yes CCleaner has an excellent Registry cleaner included. As I mentioned, it lets you save a backup of the changes, just in case the changes cause an issue, but in the 4+ years I have used it on numerous machines, I have yet to need to do this.

Trav1s

Post by Trav1s » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi Andy,

Yes CCleaner has an excellent Registry cleaner included. As I mentioned, it lets you save a backup of the changes, just in case the changes cause an issue, but in the 4+ years I have used it on numerous machines, I have yet to need to do this.
I agree with Neil. CCleaner is a great program. :wink: