Trying to find nonintrusive antivirus software

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ant6n

Trying to find nonintrusive antivirus software

Post by Ant6n » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:42 am

Hio,

I've been trying to find an effective antivirus software that doesn't run any background scans or processes. Back in the day it was possible to shut down all services for avg (via msconfig..), but ever since their version 8 you can't disable it without disabling the virus scanner as well.
I'm running on an underclocked/undervolted laptop, and I don't want my battery and resources be drained by an antivirus software.
It should really not do anything, not even update, except when I run a scan manually.

Cov

Post by Cov » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:06 am

I'm not sure whether there is a light Antivirus software existing.
But I would like to give my 2 cent anyway about this subject.

Whatever you decide to do, do not go with Norton and especially not McAfee.
McAfee is the most intrusive software possible. Just google the words "mcafee" and "remove" and neverending hits will explain the most complicated procedures of what to do.

Anyway, to say it short: KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) has been the best for me.

Others are going to advise you about all kinds of free programs, but just consider this:

How can you trust an Antivirus program that state that they do NOT take any responsibility for their software in their Terms & Conditions ?

If you're interested in finding reliable information, unfortunately you need to research as much as possible and filter the rubbish from the facts.
Maybe you know this already.

KIS .... enough said.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:28 am

NOD32

QuietOC

Re: Trying to find nonintrusive antivirus software

Post by QuietOC » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:03 am

Ant6n wrote:Back in the day it was possible to shut down all services for avg (via msconfig..), but ever since their version 8 you can't disable it without disabling the virus scanner as well.... It should really not do anything, not even update, except when I run a scan manually.
You can always just uninstall AVG, and just install it when you need to run a scan. I run the custom installation of AVG and do not install the link and email scanners. Antivirus software is only useful to me for checking other people's files.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:05 am

There was a time TrendMicro offered a good web antivirus scan utility...

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 am

If you prefer msconfig do it that way but I'd probably prefer using services.msc on most systems post windows 98se. With services.msc you can start or stop a service without having to reboot.

As to the AV of choice I'd say AVAST if you want free software and NOD32 if you don't mind paying.

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm using Comodo IS and it works well for me. It does have many settings and I'm guessing that you may find what you need with it.

Also check out Malwarebytes.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:09 pm

+1 to what Cov said...

mcafee is like herpes... impossible to get rid of...
when i first got my laptop, it came installed with some kind of trialware mcafee which would nag me NONSTOP about anything and everything. when i tried to remove it, it wouldn't let me. a quick search on google and i learned that you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get rid of it, so i ended up formatting the laptop... which i probably would've done anyways to get rid of the junk that comes pre-installed on all dell laptops... but mcafee was definitely what pushed me over the edge a little quicker.

i have a portable version of clam AV on a USB stick, which i use if and when i need to scan. but i've read that it's pretty weak anyways, so i don't ever use it. but its an option.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 am

For extremely low system use I'd recommend Vipre, but only if you don't encounter malware very often.

I recently fixed a friend's computer who's PSU was broken. After replacing the PSU I noticed that the computer was infected with malware, which I tried to remove.
The computer had F-Secure installed, but that wouldn't start.
First I installed and ran Ad-Aware, which found and removed some.
Second I installed Spy-Bot, which also failed to run (freezing the computer when I tried to start it).
Third I installed Vipre (15-day trial) and ran a deep scan. It found lots of stuff, some of which it could only isolate.
After this F-Secure became active, having been suppressed by some malware.
Now Spy-bot worked as well, so I had it run a scan, finding and removing additional malware.
A deep scan with F-Secure found nine more viruses and a few additional items.
Further scans with the same AV software revealed no additional threats.

The computer I use for writing this is also protected by Vipre, and I've never noticed any malware here. Neither trying to get installed, nor found any during the deep scans I've done.

I rate Vipre as providing fairly good protection at a minimalistic performance impact. It's no good for users that generally behave in a very risky manner.
NOD32 provides very good protection for your computer, but might fail against malware that mainly target your privacy. It also uses about twice the system resources compared to Vipre.

Cheers
Olle

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:57 am

+1 for ESET's NOD32 AV. I now use it on all my PCs. Very easy to use, unobtrusive and seems to work fine.

edh

Post by edh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:03 am

ClamWin is open source. It's the only anti-virus I would ever install.