TV turns off on it's own

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cloneman

TV turns off on it's own

Post by cloneman » Sat May 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello,

Just had a random question maybe the
"electrically-savvy" people can help me with....

My old (~2001) Rear projection TV Turns off on it's own, usually after a few hours of use. You can turn it back on, but then it turns off 30 seconds later, then 15 secs later, etc. It works again after you unplug it for 5-6 hours.

This problem looks like a continuation of a previous problem, where the TV would stop responding to all controls (both remote and the buttons on the set). So it would stay on and you couldn't adjust the volume, etc. If you unplugged it you needed to wait 6 hours for it to work again, etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

nyonya

Post by nyonya » Sat May 30, 2009 2:49 pm

Sounds like it's overheating - is it in a place where thee's a decent amount of air circulation, or is it wedged in a stand? Also, did it always do this, or is it a recent problem? Might be that the fan has died then.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Sat May 30, 2009 11:37 pm

nyonya wrote:Sounds like it's overheating - is it in a place where thee's a decent amount of air circulation, or is it wedged in a stand? Also, did it always do this, or is it a recent problem? Might be that the fan has died then.
It think it's mounted on a stand that doesn't come off. This has started only recently. Maybe I should install a fan in it? lol

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun May 31, 2009 10:32 am

thats what mine did as the bulb was failing. it got worse and worse till it burnt out completely. replacement bulb for mine was ~400! :cry:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Move the TV forward and get a pedestal fan blowing on the back of it to see whether that makes a difference - I second the overheating theory. But likewise Xan_User has personal experience - they could be linked anyway.

Andy