Modern Phrases That Confuse Me

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 pm

aristide1 wrote:
GamingGod wrote:...The saying is "I couldn't care less"....
The last person I corrected that mistake was an elementary grade english teacher. Go figure.

Oh you know when I need to communicate with someone I call or email or just talk. I don't "reach out".

Of course there are people who say "That's what I'm talking about....", even when they weren't talking to begin with.

And just for clarity, when one is smacked upside the head, that's the top right? And I'm curious, what's the middle part called these days?

"Sounds like a plan." Sorry no, just a passing thought. Going for ice cream doesn't require planning, unless you been hit upside the head too many times. That's what I'm talking about. 8)
i had a high school english teacher that would consistently misuse phrases, mispronounce words, etc.

things were "mute" points, instead of moot.

beelzebub was pronounced "be azel bub"

circuitous was pronounced "cir qui shus"

few other similarly dumb things. i called him out on it whenever he did it.. because i didn't like him.

Buddabing

Post by Buddabing » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:42 am

Personally, I use both "I couldn't care less" and "I could care less". For example, I could care less about soccer, because I like soccer more than ice dancing and rhythmic gymnastics. But I couldn't care less about the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, African or European.

Ramses
Friend of SPCR

Post by Ramses » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 pm

@MikeC: I repeatedly choked on my coffee while reading that Washington Post list! :lol:

In no particular order:

"In this day and age": Yay! This must be the dawning of the Age of Aquarius! The ancients were right: the prophecy came true! :D

"Think outside the box": Really, you're expecting someone to come up with something original while you're just parroting ...this?

"Nukelar weapons": sounds like some mysterious alien weapons from the planet Kelar. Also makes the speaker appear technologically ignorant.