Netbook or ...?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

Netbook or ...?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 am

Hello folks,

I am wondering if any of you can recommend a Linux netbook with a solid state hard drive? Long battery life is key, followed by fast booting time and light weight. It really comes down to a choice between one of these and an iTouch. Palm only makes smart phones these days...are there any other PDA-type devices?

I'm hearing rumblings in this area: Google is coming out with the Chrome OS for netbooks, and I hear that iPhone may be available from Verizon (and/or other wireless providers)?

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:42 am

You mean Android? Yes, there have already been samples of netbooks with Android and a... Snapdragon processor. It will probably be another year before they come out since there really isn't enough software for it yet. There is no word processing or any other kind of productivity software.

The iPhone will slowly migrate to other carriers. I believe you are right about Verizon being the first. On a related note, there have been rumblings about trying to reducing phone exclusivity to providers since it is anti-competitive.

(I get bored and read fudzilla and dailytech at work)

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:25 am

Hi Neil, do you think you'd be happy with a tiny onscreen keyboard? That's probably the first thing you need to be sure about. I tried playing around with an iPhone/Touch and it drove me crazy! I really like the idea of a pocket computer, but just typing urls was a chore so anything more and I'd probably end up throwing it at something. However, I'll admit there are other aspects to the touch interface which are very ergonomic.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Ch0z3n wrote:You mean Android? Yes, there have already been samples of netbooks with Android and a... Snapdragon processor.
No, Google just announced a new thing called Chrome OS that is primarily targeted for netbooks, nettops, and integrated devices like STB. Apparently their strategy going forward is that Android is only for phones. It seems strange to lump netbooks in with a group that otherwise includes all stationary devices, but that is Google's scheme. The weird thing is that Chrome OS won't be released until the second half of 2010.

I'd say there won't be a non-AT&T iPhone before that time frame either (if ever). So, if you are looking to buy in the short term, Neil; neither iPhone nor Chrome OS should be a consideration.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Ch0z3n wrote:The iPhone will slowly migrate to other carriers. I believe you are right about Verizon being the first. On a related note, there have been rumblings about trying to reducing phone exclusivity to providers since it is anti-competitive.
See, this one's a bit hard right now. In the United States, only AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM (which is what most other countries use, Japan not included). Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. Apple will need to design a new iPhone that includes CDMA.

In other countries, it's possible to buy unlocked phones and use a SIM card from pretty much any carrier of your choice. In the US, even if you get your iPhone unlocked, you're still tied to either T-Mobile or AT&T, and where I live, AT&T is the lesser of two evils.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Dell Mini 9? oops - it's no more. how about the Dell Mini 10? with the 6 cell battery :D

Palm Pre supposedly will run Palm OS apps...but then you are stuck with Sprint and a pricey data plan. Verizon will have it in Dec/Jan.

Doesn't the iTouch suck as a PDA?