Microsoft Store Electronic Download Question

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tehfire

Microsoft Store Electronic Download Question

Post by tehfire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:44 am

So Microsoft just started offering a great deal on Windows 7. If you are an eligible University student currently taking classes, you can get Windows 7, Home Premium or Pro, x86 or x64, for $29.99. The order page is here. You can either choose the 'Electronic Download' option, or get a hard copy for $13 extra. Being pretty poor at the moment, I chose the "Electronic Download' option. Presumably, this will be available on 22 Oct when 7 is released, but I was wondering what all I am able to download. Does anybody have experience buying an OS from the Microsoft Store and downloading it? Do I just get a big .exe, or is it an ISO that I can burn, or is it an .exe that automatically makes a DVD? Thanks for the clarification.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:39 pm

Nevermind, found out the answer. Turns out you have to make your own DVD image. Judging from this page, it doesn't seem too difficult. I'd imagine this will be the same procedure used when I download 7.