spray painting project - flying spaghetti monster on netbook

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ant6n

spray painting project - flying spaghetti monster on netbook

Post by Ant6n » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:20 am

A computer project that didn't result in a quiet pc, but maybe still worth sharing. I feel that the words in the title are not in the right order, suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT adjusted the title :P

fsm inkblot - would it make a good stencil? Found here: http://www.travisjmorgan.com/blog/2007/ ... i-monster/

inkblob with pink background

stencil background
found on some hardware review site - maybe one can incorporate the existing texture somehow?

inkblob, background, stencil in pink overlaid

planned look

stencil to print on sticker paper ... get that exacto knife ready.

work place. The exacto knife turned out to be useful. The drawing gum not so much.

Spraying station. Don't do this at home, although outside it's cold ... at least the gloss is "low odour". Note also the cd cases, which were used for testing.

flash makes it look real bubble gum pink (in visible light it's more like the other pics)

we can see the original texture incorporated into the finished product (eyes, spaghetti/meat balls)

Image :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Ant6n on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 pm

At first, I thought Tom Cruise was sharing his new project :?
Maybe adjust title, maybe it's just me...

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 am

Nothing personal, but I'm a little disappointed. I really thought we were going to get the traditional FSM image.

I would've just had a laminate decal made up with the image on it. Couldn't be more that $20 for a custom decal, and no paint to mess with.

You did an excellent job, however. Very impressed (despite how I opened the post).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:50 pm

Now head off for your science class in Kansas. :D

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Looks nice mate. That's a very distinctive machine now!

So to make the stencil, you made a sticker and stuck it on there while you sprayed? Did you take the netbook apart to spray, or just mask up the rest of the PC as much as possible? Because it looks like you did a good job of covering the lid with the pink without getting it anywhere else.

How many coats did you do? It looks good in the long shots but in the closeup you can see a bit of orange peel. Or is that just the texture of the plastic?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:29 pm

I dunno, it looks more like the flying linguine monster to me.

No, seriously, nice work.

Ant6n

Post by Ant6n » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks for the nice feedback.

There are many lawyers of spray paint 6-10(?), and about as many lawyers of clear gloss. Unfortunately the gloss didn't give a very smooth surface as advertised, the texture is kinda grainy. Also, because I put two thick coats of gloss in the end (all other coats were thin), and the room was not sterile (i.e. completely dust free), there are some tiny things the wet surface picked off the air. Thus there are some imperfections. This was the first time walking with spray paint etc., next time I'll know better.

I didn't take the thing apart, because sometimes after putting laptops back together, they feel more wobbly. I used a lot of masking tape to get an accurate fit between the screen bezel and back plate.
I really thought we were going to get the traditional FSM image.
By 'tradtional image' you probably mean this:

I decided this wasn't 'interesting' enough, and an inkblot version would be cooler. Just like zombie jesus or pirate vampire pilots are more interesting than their 'plain' counterparts. :wink: