Anybody want to talk about quiet humidifiers?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

guises

Anybody want to talk about quiet humidifiers?

Post by guises » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Decided that I didn't want to go through another winter of scratching, so I'm looking for a humidifier. Because it's something that needs to be on pretty much all the time, and because the noise issue with it is basically the same as it is with my computer, my first instinct was to discuss it here.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on these three models, particularly in regards to their relative noise levels:

Venta Airwasher LW24
Venta-Sonic VS 207
Air-O-Swiss 7144

I'm particularly keen on the Airwasher, since it's a different technology from the other two and, though it's rated for a blistering 32 dB at it's _lowest_ setting, I've read several reviews saying that it's quiet and one saying that it's quieter than the Air-O-Swiss (rated for <25 dB).

I did find this comparison between the Venta-Sonic and another Air-O-Swiss model, which makes a pretty compelling case for the Venta:

http://carsonwilson.com/humidifiers/

Particularly if you listen to the noise clips. But it seems that Venta-Sonic has gone out of business recently and I'm concerned about the availability of demineralization cartridges in the future if I get that model.

Anyone with an Airwasher here? Care to comment on the noise?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi,

I would get a steam humidifier, rather than a "cool mist" or ultrasonic model -- for two reasons: steam is by definition pure water; the cool mist ones result in the chlorine and minerals and all the impurities becoming dust in your air, because they evaporate after they are put in to the air. The other disadvantage is related: the water mist pulls heat from the air as it evaporates, and thus it chills the area around the unit. The steam units actually heat up the air somewhat.

The steam units that work very well have two carbon rods as electrodes inside a small chamber, and the impurities in the water conduct electricity through the water, which boils the water, and the steam than comes out the vent. If your water is too soft to put out enough steam, you can add a little salt and you'll get more.

These are quite safe, because when they run out of water, no electricity is conducted and it essentially shuts off the unit.

That one disadvantage is you cannot control the level of humidity other than to shut the unit off.

The steam units make a little noise -- they gurgle and sometimes if they are vigorously steaming, they hiss a bit. I don't find their sounds to be an issue. The cool mist ultrasonic units have a small fan in them, and they hum a bit, and they have a dust filter than t has to be cleaned.

You do need to clean the inside of the steam units by scraping off the mineral deposits and dumping out the collection of flakes at the bottom of the chamber. You might find that they put out too much steam after some stuff builds up on the innards, so they do take some maintenance. They are less expensive, and I think they work much better.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Decided that I didn't want to go through another winter of scratching, so I'm looking for a humidifier.
On this basis, and having been on holiday high up in the Apls in winter, I learned that cold places covered in snow and ice can be very dry indeed. No doubt it would help people know your answer to this question and provide suitable help.

Where do you live.?

Without this significant piece of knowlege it may be possible that other options besides a humidifier might be a better option, and no doubt will help answers directly about humidifiers as well.

It would also be an idea to add that info to your profile for future reference.

Andy

guises

Post by guises » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:17 pm

andyb wrote:Where do you live.?
Well thank you, but I'm quite certain that this is a dry skin issue. I live in New York, for reference, though I lived in Ottawa previously.

@Neil - The only trouble with the steam units is that they use quite a lot of power (think it's more than 110 - 120w on average). Now, if you're using an electric heater anyway then that's fine but my building is heated by gas... I don't know. I'd certainly consider one of those if you had a recommendation for a specific one - most reviews that I've been able to find have been touting the cool mist units for being energy efficient.

The Air-O-Swiss and the Venta-Sonic that I mention there do actually have an optional heating ability, and the fans on the ultrasonics don't have to be as strong/loud as the fans on evaporative units.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Fantastic info, as always, Neil.
NeilBlanchard wrote:
That one disadvantage is you cannot control the level of humidity other than to shut the unit off.
Shouldn't be hard to wire in a humidistat, to turn it off and on at set points, right?

My dad swears by taking flaxseed oil everyday he avoids winter dry skin he used to get. He also has a cast iron dragon on his wood stove that you fill with water and steam comes out his nose, which helps slightly. Its not silent tho...when enough stem comes out to condense on his nose it drips on the stove with a fizzle and hiss.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:50 am

Hi,
xan_user wrote:He also has a cast iron dragon on his wood stove that you fill with water and steam comes out his nose, which helps slightly. Its not silent tho...when enough stem comes out to condense on his nose it drips on the stove with a fizzle and hiss.
Does it look like this?

Or this?