Windows XP crash: uTorrent and PeerBlock

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

Windows XP crash: uTorrent and PeerBlock

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:45 am

for some reasons, Windows XP (32bit with SP3) sometimes crash when i have uTorrent and Peerblock on. It never crash when i have both off though

So...i don't know which one make WinXP crash...where could i find this info?

i checked on my events manager and it says error ID 1001 and some strange hexadecimal stuff and an error code, like this one:
0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00000000, 0x886c2cf8)
i checked on the net and it says something about a program crashed. It might be uTorrent crashing my Windows, or PeerBlock, i don't know...

i was using PeerGuardian before, and i don't remember my computer crashing when i was using it...and i was regularly using uTorrent along with it.

Did you experienced your computer crashing because of PeerBlock 1.0 before?

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:02 am

although it isn't widely known, uTorrent has the functionality do the blocking for you. They all use the same lists, so you are not missing anything. I set it up a while ago, and have forgotten completely how to do it myself, so search around for the instructions.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:10 pm

i noticed the crash generally happen during the morning between 4am and 7am, when uTorrent (v1.8.5) is downloading files and PeerBlock is running in background.

I did checked on the developer blog of PeerBlock that there's a very rare bug that make it crash when downloading updated lists

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:38 am

Install/run whocrashed and tell, what does its analyzis say. Otherwise (from error code) I'd say that it can be RAM problem - but whocrashed does show more messages and possible driver names.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:52 pm

i installed Microsoft debugging tools and used the Minidump tool, and the last 3 Minidumps created by the crash says it was caused by "ntoskrnl.exe"

But i really think this crash supposedly caused by "ntoskrnl.exe" was caused in fact by Peerblock. On the blog, they say there's supposedly a very rare crash that is caused by a lists update (maybe an automaticly-scheduled update during the morning?). But i think this crash is not that rare after all.

I didn't had a problem like that with PeerGuardian, so maybe PeerBlock is causing that crash.

I'll use uTorrent without PeerBlock for a week or two, and i'll see if it still make my computer crash...if not, it was probably because of PeerBlock