SPCR Lurker - Finally Posting

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LoveMyCompy

SPCR Lurker - Finally Posting

Post by LoveMyCompy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:20 pm

Hey, everyone! I'm Olivia and I'm a newbie to the forums. I've been a SPCR lurker for quite some time (approximately 4 months now), and I've finally given into joining the conversation! Y'see, I've been wanting to a build an economical yet functional PC for quite some time. I would want it to be efficient without it being too loud and more importantly, too powerful.

The only issue is that I don't know where to start. I don't know what parts to choose from to make a computer that won't make a peep and that will be energy efficient. I've built computers in the past, but none of them were particularly energy efficient. Functional, yes. Energy efficient and silent? Hardly. They certainly weren't LOUD, but I knew that everything was working overtime.

Anyway, if I could perhaps get some help on the matter, I would be SO happy. And of course, if I could make a friend or two, I'd be especially happy. Either way, take care!

quest_for_silence

Re: SPCR Lurker - Finally Posting

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 pm

LoveMyCompy wrote:The only issue is that I don't know where to start.

For general computing purposes, you may start on your own experience: how much performing is enough? Then you could go on.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:50 pm

What kind of uses are you planning for this computer?

If you are just thinking of a fairly basic computer for Internet browsing, video watching etc, then most modern dual core Intel or AMD CPUs, a micro ATX motherboard with integrated graphics, 4Gb of RAM, a small SSD for your operating system and a 5,400rpm hard drive for data and video will be all that you need. Add a large tower style heatsink from SPCR's recommended heatsinks and some quiet fans, an efficient PSU (you might be able to get away with a picoPSU) and a not too open case and you should be good to go.

If you want to use this computer for gaming or audio or video processing, then it gets a little trickier. At the least, you'll need a faster dual core (and will probably want a quad core CPU) and a quiet video card. There are some pretty decent passive cards out there as well.

If you can be more specific about your needs, we can help you. Also, if you have a favourite online shop that you prefer to buy from, someone might be able to help you out with a parts list.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:53 pm

LoveMyCompy wrote:-- an economical yet functional PC for quite some time. I would want it to be efficient without it being too loud and more importantly, too powerful.
Hello Olivia and welcome to SPCR!

The previous posters are right: everything is determined by the use the PC is supposed to be for. In my opinion that is the best starting point too, but speaking parts-wise, reviews or rigs are the way to go (read up on current components and see if people have already built PCs for the kind of need you have).

Just to kick things off, I'll have my psychic powers tell me this should be reliable, compact, low power draw and on a budget.

Thus my gut instinct tells me to recommend the following:
- H55 chipset mATX motherboard (enables integrated video, has all the essentials)
- Intel i3 series CPU (affordable, perfectly gutsy, integrated GPU works with H55/H57 chipset)
- Noctua cooler (ANY Noctua cooler, all v. quiet and powerful with unbeatable fastening mechanism)
- 2x2 GB RAM (any RAM recommended by mobo maker, CL7/1333MHz pref.)
- HD5770 or equivalent video card w/ passive cooling (only if you need Gaming or other taxing rendering in the mix)
- WD Blue or Green 3.5" HDD according to need
- Silverstone TJ08 or Coolermaster Sileo series case (affordable, functional, not the sturdiest, choose according to taste & video card)
- Nexus Value 430W or Enermax Modu/Pro87+ 500W PSU (both v. quiet if not silent, affordable vs modular)
- Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans + Akasa splitter cable (I know you already have a liking for these :wink:)

The above would be an affordable, modern, reasonably powerful rig high on efficiency and reliability that could easily clear most tasks. Depending on what you identify as your main uses and biggest needs, you can easily dial the performance accordingly by picking a different CPU or video card. Right now those have proven to be the best efficiency/buck in my books, but as we know, development is rapid, and we're in Q4 where all the sales and surprise releases make things go topsy-turvy.