Elder Scrolls Online

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Elder Scrolls Online

Post by andyb » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:15 am

Does anyone here have access to this weekends Beta.? I have and due to the NDA will not be telling anyone here (any detail) about it, sorry for that anticlimax.

I was wondering if anyone else does have access and if so we could arrange ourselves to meet up in-game as a group.

The Beta starts tonight at 6:00PM EST (that's 11:00 GMT) providing the servers don't crash due to the load and the obvious unexpected random issues.

FYI, I have already downloaded and installed the 18 odd GB of game data, so if you have a beta license and haven't done that you best get cracking.

Andy

CA_Steve

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Oo, didn't know they were into Beta. Have fun with it!

boost

Post by boost » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm

I'm interested. I've played a few hours so far and I will play more this weekend.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:06 pm

While this is one of the more hyped MMOs of 2014, i kinda more wating for wildstar, regardless have fun ESO, sure seems like a nice MMO.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:32 am

Avoiding any specifics and obviously bugs that may or may not have been witnessed.

Here is my take on ESO. I have not played may MMORPGS in the past but ESO is broadly similar to the others (e.g. Guild Wars), and this is what I like the least about ESO.

What I was hoping for was much more like Skyrim that it turned out to be, yes it does appear to have massive landscapes with Hamlets, Villages and Towns scattered around with a wide range of different terrain and loads of side quests both little and large, however:

My main issues with ESO was simply that there were far too many people, whether they were doing the same missions (many were) or whether they were just marauding (I did both).

If ESO limited the number of people that were in any one area to be distinctly fewer this would be a great advantage as this caused many negative situations e.g. I am trying to kill an enemy (on one mission this was a real PITA) other people are doing the same and this made life difficult.

The other issues are less of an issue but are directly related to the previous, there were monsters etc everywhere, literally you could see several in any direction at any time (outside a city), this is just silly. Secondly the monsters etc don't spot you and attack unless you are very close to them, I don't think this is an AI issue as some of them would leave you alone if you backed away beyond a certain (still very close) distance.

Combat (no real details) Skyrim was perfect for a sword swinging, arrow shooting, spell casting game, this has a different combat interface and requires an awful lot less skill (mouse and keyboard skill), is much less realistic and in general terms is a poor cousin to Skyrim's combat - combat is an important part of a game.

Finally, the thing that made me very bored with Guild Wars very quickly was the fact that monsters re-spawn constantly, unlike Skyrim this is a very long way from realism (yes I know its a game), I am certain this is due to the MMORPG nature of ESO but given that I didint (sadly) get to play ESO as much as I wanted over the weekend I dont know whether this will become truly tiresome. I did find myself at one point avoiding monsters that I had just killed going down a road on a mission on my return journey just seconds after the path was clear.

Last night I filled in their questionnaire and hopefully I will get another weekend with ESO to form a better opinion of the game, in the mean time Skyrim is still fantastic and I still dont play any other MMORPG's for the previously given reasons.

I have no doubt that it will be popular as it was better in every way than Guild Wars and is a familiar world environment.

Cost....? No idea, I don't know if it will be free with the option of buying stuff (Star Trek online), pay monthly (most of them) or just buy once (Guild Wars) - that might be the ultimate deciding factor for many people, although for me it would be to sort out the above issues and essentially make it somewhere between a traditional single-player game and a MMORPG, or better still have "open" areas where anyone can be and closed to individuals (or groups) for general marauding and missioning - that I would pay for.

This is not to say that their are only negatives, many of the things that I have listed as a negative are standard for all MMORPGS and as such apply to them all and are not specific to ESO. There are a great many positives as well, crafting of all kinds seems to be vastly improved (over Skyrim) in many ways although the interface needs a little tweaking (not a lot IMO just a little) e.g. a total lack of tool-tips, though saying this, ESO is a Beta and I have no doubt such things will be added/fixed well before official release.

My NDA does not allow me to publish any pictures (and I would be caught as my username is plastered all over the screen continuously) or specifics so sorry for the lack of specific details and my free use of generalizations and comparisons to other games, I also have no intention of breaking my NDA so any more information I give (if requested) will be limited.

I hope you have enjoyed and/or found useful the info I have given.

Andy

Richard97

Post by Richard97 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 am

Hi everyone, is there anybody here who is still playing? Not long ago I started playing and I am looking for some good guides. Someone can recommend something?