HDD Dead?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xev

HDD Dead?

Post by xev » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:01 am

My 3TB Seagate drive suddenly disappeared from the My Computer menu a week ago. I decide to recheck the connections and nothing; not in BIOS or Windows. I try putting it in an external dock and still not recognized (dock works with other drives).
I feel the drive is powered up as there is vibration and the magnets and disks are spinning. Could it be the Sata port?

Any advice?

CA_Steve

Re: HDD Dead?

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:15 am

If using Windows, right click windows panel, then device manager -> disk drives -> right click properties. See if it shows up there and in what state. If it doesn't or has issues, there's right click windows panel, then disk manager and see the formatting state there. Cables and ports rarely fail - although it's not unknown for a SATA cable to come unplugged if not the locking kind.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:20 am

Also, if the "SNDK 120" means it's a mSATA or M.2 NVME SSD, make sure it doesn't share lanes with a SATA controller. One might be turning off the other.

xev

Post by xev » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Also, if the "SNDK 120" means it's a mSATA or M.2 NVME SSD, make sure it doesn't share lanes with a SATA controller. One might be turning off the other.
This drive is no longer active. My Windows disk is a Samsung evo 500GB ssd.

It's the only drive currently plugged into the motherboard. The 3tb in question is in the dock. The dock shows up in Device Manager Disk Drives but its not showing the 3Tb drive.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:05 am

It's also possible that the HDD's I/O controller is dead.
(Happened to my 1TB Samsung 850 EVO after a few months. :evil:)

DvaSpolovinoy

Post by DvaSpolovinoy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:00 am

Try to plug the HDD to another computer with sata that definetly works. Also try to plug other HDD to the same sata you use with this drive on your computer.
This will help to localize the problem.