Anyone recommend a 1440p monitor ?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Orusc

Anyone recommend a 1440p monitor ?

Post by Orusc » Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 am

Greetings everyone,
I recently got an Asus 32" 2560 x 1440 IPS monitor, and while it certainly looked great in the shop, when I got it home and tried it out, the backlight bleed was awful--especially in the two lower corners. Instrument panels were badly washed out, even flying in daylight. So, I returned it.
I'm partial to anything 2K (2560 x 1440) and about 29 to 32 inches. I don't want a 4K because text looks bad when scaled, I like to run in native res and I really like 2560 x 1440! It's a great resolution for my GTX 1070 to run.
I'm not fussy about whether it's IPS, VA, TN etc... but, I can't STAND backlight bleed. Even a little ghosting/streaking doesn't bother me much--flight sims tend to have smooth action anyway, and aren't twitchy/jerky like FPS games. So, it doesn't need to be a 1ms or 2ms panel.
I just can't stand the awful bleed, especially flying at night!
Any recommendations, anyone?
Thanks

Abula

Re: Anyone recommend a 1440p monitor ?

Post by Abula » Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

You will have more options if you were to be fine with 27'' 2560x1440, now about the backlit bleed, its inherit in most IPS monitors, in some its worst than others, even in the same model you will get some that are acceptable and some that are awful. If you have the chance its best to go into a shop and open it there and try to get it there and since you are bother so much by backlit bleed, look for it there.

On 27'' you will find a lot more options, Asus, Acer, Viewsonic, AOC, LG and Samsung make 27'' 2560x1440 monitors, even some very nice high refresh ones, still its a lotery with the panels, a lot of people have to go thru various samples until they get one decent.

If you were to tolerate more the washed colors (its not so bad as it once was) and the poor vieiweing angles of TN panels you could also go this route, Dell S2417DG is a decent monitor, but sufers from banding.

Also you might get better luck with VAs, but you are prone to have ghosting, sunce you are interested on 32'' 2560x1440 look for Acer XZ321QU bmijpphzx is what i would recommend to check out.

Alex11223

Re: Anyone recommend a 1440p monitor ?

Post by Alex11223 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 am

Orusc wrote:I don't want a 4K because text looks bad when scaled
It depends on app and OS, modern apps usually don't have scaling issues and there are some improvements in each major Windows update, but yeah 1440p is the safest choice.