KEYBOARD thats quiet and doesnt suck for games?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silenceorgtfo

KEYBOARD thats quiet and doesnt suck for games?

Post by silenceorgtfo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Any idea of any keyboard where you can play Quake at and not wake up the neighbours at night?

Are moder mechanical keyboards quiet?

Im using this one and its busted, its some cheap keyboard:

https://www.quietpc.com/a4tech-kl5

Does the job but I wonder if I can get better? I want it to be small like that.

Abula

Re: KEYBOARD thats quiet and doesnt suck for games?

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:48 pm

I would try to find a keyboard that has the cherry silent red switches, they were a Corsair exclusive on release so you might see some with those, but it should be available from other keyboard manufacturers by now. Some also recommend lubing the switches and doing the O ring mod to lower the bottoming of the key sound, this would be your best bet imo.

nagi

Post by nagi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:10 am

silenceorgtfo wrote:Are moder mechanical keyboards quiet?
Depends on how quiet you mean. I tried a cherry red, and even with rubber o-rings, they are pretty audible outside the room if you bottom them out. If you live in a quiet enough place. Not "wake up someone from a deep sleep", unless you are frantic in bashing the keyboard and the noise isolation of the room/door is nonexistent though.

The best thing you can do is buy one of those mechanical testers that come with multiple types of switches and start hitting away in the room you want to use it. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Griarrac-Cherry- ... B07CHSKY13
Though as you want something relatively quiet, it would be probably enough to buy one with red/brown switches only. Or ask a friend if you have any with mechanical keyboards to lend it to you for a night.

Note: I use Logitech K800 keyboards that have laptop style scissor switches. Previously used the deNovo line that also had a rubber mat right between the keys and the pcb plane. The biggest problem I had with these is that neither of them has no n-key rollover, so push w+d+shift+ctrl (I can't remember exactly, assassin's creed run+auto parkour) down and you can't add another to the mix.

silenceorgtfo

Post by silenceorgtfo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 am

I was recommended this one:
I use a CM storm Novatouch TKL and I like it better than any mechanical keybord I have tried, and I tried alot, uses standard MX cherry keycaps for customizability, comes with rubber O-rings for ekstra silence and can resist lots of liquid. Hardness is about the same as cherry blacks. Mine have survived more than 3L of coffee, lots of cola and water. If you get a spill disconnect and rinse under warm water directly over the sink. Leave for it to dry for 1-2 days:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/pe ... touch-tkl/

but I cant find it anymore sold with the Ñ for spain... any similar ones?

Richard97

Post by Richard97 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:06 am

Although I live in a block of flats I have never had such problems. But yes, mechanical keyboards are much quieter and more comfortable.

Spiralism

Post by Spiralism » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:33 am

I recommend Logitech G513 Mechanical Keyboard, this is the one of the best silent mechanical keyboards right now. And it is what I am currently using, and it is really great for gaming.

samamos

Post by samamos » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 pm

I have a Logitech G513 Mechanical Keyboard. It's great for gaming.