ZM80A with just the back heatsink?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

ZM80A with just the back heatsink?

Post by IceFire » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:32 am

I am trying to fit a 9800Pro into my Shuttle 45G case and the front heat sink of the ZM80A is getting in the way. I was thinking if I can get away w/ just running the back sink w/ some kind of large-slow (80mm) fan? How much heat can the heat pipe transfer?

Is it better to just use the old active heatsink and put a hole in the case next to the fan?

Thanks.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:37 am

The heat from a 9800Pro will probably be more than just a single sink cooler will deal with, unless you use a fairly high-powered fan. Using the passive Zalman thingy on my old 9700 Pro card made it hot to the touch -- and that was with two sinks.

It just might work if you hack up the case, but unfortunately I'm somewhat pessimistic. If you do try it, please tell us how it goes. Good luck!

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:43 am

I am sure the one heatsink will handle the heat w/ a unvolt 80 fan on it. The original hs is less than half the size of one of the Zalman sink. With the 80 fan, it shouldn't have any problem.

My concern is if the heat pipe will be able to take all the heat to the back hs so it could be cool. My guest is NO. Maybe the new one w/ the dual heatpipe could do it. I don't know.

My goal is to cut as little of the case as possible.

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:55 am

My guess would be that the heat pipe would be enough to take the heat to the back heatsink. And if you have an 80mm fan around 7v it might be enough. I have the Zalaman sink and while I had it on my card, the rear heatsink would get quite hot. You can try it and see if you get lockups or other heat related issues. I would personally try with the fan at 12v first to see if it's at all feasible before undervolting the fan.

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:21 am

I think I might give it a try this weekend. I'm going have to build a piece of something to hold the heatpipe in place. Maybe I can use a short heatsink to use. I would like to be able to put a channel in there for the heat pipe.