Radeon 64Mb fan noisy

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sPaNkThEmOnKeY

Radeon 64Mb fan noisy

Post by sPaNkThEmOnKeY » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:20 pm

I'm trying to slowly put together a HTPC and currently have an old Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO card. Unfortunately, the little fan (not sure the size, maybe 40mm?) is very noisy.

Anyoen have an ideas on what I can do to silence it? Can I run this vid card without a fan?

sPaNk

spog

Post by spog » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:55 am

I used to have a 64mb ddr vivo. I simply removed the fan/heatsink and glued on a zalman nb-47j northbridge cooler with arctic alumina thermal adhesive. This worked very well and easily cooled the GPU without the need for any kind of extra fan. I did have decent case airflow though. The stock heatsink was removed by putting it in the freezer for an hour or so, and it popped off quite easily.

Shmanky

Post by Shmanky » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:00 pm

I've been using this card for a few years with its fan's power cable disconnected from the card. I also have my case wide open (no sides or top), and no case fans. I've also been gaming with it (Unreal Tournament 2004) with its fan disconnected.

I would suggest disconnecting the power, but adding a small undervolted fan (5 volts) nearby blowing air over the heat sink. That's what I was doing most of the time until I removed that too.