HELP! Problems on 9800Pro with VGA Silencer Rev. 3

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Noizz

HELP! Problems on 9800Pro with VGA Silencer Rev. 3

Post by Noizz » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:17 am

i took out the zalman 80c with op1 and replaced it with the vga silencer
worked fine, but as time went along, i would get corrupted video. it starts off fine with a clean boot. but then after about 15 min i start getting corrupted video in windows and in games. it still works, but there were lines and block everywhere. so i was all worried about my 1 1/2 year old 9800 pro.

went to sleep, woke up the next day, turned it on games played fine, everything was fine, 15 after, corrupted video again.

seems to me like a heat issue? im running it on high at the moment, and everythign seems fine.

running ati tool i get strange triangles
the vga silencer isn't lapped yet, i'm waiting for my sand paper to be shipped in. and im using stock thermal grease, i don't want to waste my artic silver 5 until i finished lapping the heatsink.

possibility that the 9800 pro shim is higher than the die? so its not making good contact? i want to run the 9800 pro on the low mode. does anyone have difficulties running a 9800 pro on low mode?

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:04 pm

I am getting the same thing except with a Zalman. I am 99% sure it is the spacer. Or to be more precise, the space between the heatsink and the gpu.