DFI NF4 Motherboards

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:32 pm

soujir0u wrote: I'm also using a XP120 and while the first 2 RAM slots are really hard to get to, it is possible. I managed to install RAM into the first DIMM slot after the XP120 was already installed. Helps if you have smaller hands.
Don't you mean the 3rd/4th ram slot? The slots are numbered from top to bottom right? I read somewhere (NCIX forums) that the XP-120 doesn't block the ram slots at all and that we could run dual channel which is maximized in slots 2 & 4, correct? I hope so, cuz I just ordered this cpu cooler and looking forward to finally putting this thing together! (what a pain trying to find stock on these brand new silent cooling parts!)

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:21 am

poohbear wrote:
soujir0u wrote: I'm also using a XP120 and while the first 2 RAM slots are really hard to get to, it is possible. I managed to install RAM into the first DIMM slot after the XP120 was already installed. Helps if you have smaller hands.
Don't you mean the 3rd/4th ram slot? The slots are numbered from top to bottom right? I read somewhere (NCIX forums) that the XP-120 doesn't block the ram slots at all and that we could run dual channel which is maximized in slots 2 & 4, correct? I hope so, cuz I just ordered this cpu cooler and looking forward to finally putting this thing together! (what a pain trying to find stock on these brand new silent cooling parts!)
Oops, yeah I mean slots 3 & 4. I'm using slots 2 & 4 currently as well, not sure why but my machine doesn't even POST when I use other combinations.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:54 am

Yay! I got all the parts :D A64 3500+ Winchester, DFI Ultra-D, Club 3d x800XL dual-DVI and VIVO, NB47J, and Be Quiet! P5 420W PSU 8) Hopefully i can post some results tomorrow, i have to take out all the stuff from the case before i can start adding the new stuff, and i want to test the stuff before i start to change all the heatsinks so that takes some time.. :P

ilh--> Thanks for posting the pictures :) Thats pretty much how i figured it would look, and it actually doesnt look too bad :D That HDD suspension also looks pretty clean 8)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:30 am

If you are not planning to use SLI, but want to use 16x PCI-E you MUST use the upper PCI-E slot, which is directly on the same line with the nf4 chipset.

So, using the lower PCI-E slot is NOT an option for those using single graphics card with a desire to use 16x PCI-E (and yes, there is a performance difference between 8x PCI-E and 16x PCI-E, although small and not visible in all apps. It's been tested. Check tomshardware.de for benchmarks).

So, the options I see for improved cooling:

1) Mutilate an existing heatsink (the bending idea is very good. Here's hoping it won't kill the heat transfer from the base to the end of the fins).

2) Somebody comes with a very thin profile (but larger surface area) copper heatsink for the chipset. This could be used passive or with a very slow fan and it would still fit under the PCI-E card without modding.

3) Change the mobo

4) Change to a VGA card that is much shorter than the current 6x00 and x600/x700/x800 generations.

Other than this nf4 mcp chip placement, I'm initially quite pleased with the mobo. I also like the Bios settings for fan speed adjustments based on temp. Not exactly sure how well they work in practise (yet), but the idea is nice (although not new).

Headd

Post by Headd » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:49 am

A guy in this thread mounted the fan from an Iceberq 4 Pro within the DFI heatsink and reduced his temps greatly.

I was going to try the same thing with an aftermarket cooler from an old ti4200, but the fan was much too big. :(

Yesterday I removed the HSF and scraped/cleaned off whatever that crap was they had applied. I then applied a very thin layer of Artic Silver Ceramique to the chipset. My load temps on the chipset were 54 degrees :!: After the Artic Silver I'm around 49 full load. Small decrease..

I guess I may try to pick up an Iceberq 4...
I really wish there was an aftermarket solution for this.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:36 am

I have my system up and running. I did the same thing as ilh, bend the fins on the NB47J. I had to remove one row of fins, and i have a nexus 80mm fan blowing on it. Smart Guardian reports chipset temperature as 43c idle. I need to reposition the fan.. Ill post pics soon.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:35 pm

sorry for the n00b question, but what is Smart Guardian? I'd like to know my NB temp too. :)

ilh

Post by ilh » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:09 pm

It is ITE Smart Guardian and came on the CD with the DFI nF4 boards. I don't know what else it comes with or if it is freely available elsewhere.

It allows for temperature/voltage monitoring, as well as controlling fans either manually (run at X %) or automatically (start at Y ºC and full power at Z ºC).

nici

Post by nici » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:07 pm

Ok so my idle temp was not 43c after all, i forgot F@h was running :lol: Anyway, with the case side open it dropped to 33 when Folding. The PWR IC runs over 50c with case closed, when i figuren out where the bloody IC is ill add a 50mm titan fan near it, undervolted of course, to get some airflow over it.

I just ran ATITool, 459/555 OC on the x800XL with the automatic thingie, quite impressive imho :D Im dissapointed though that the card apparently does not support temperature monitoring, but it does have the chip required so it might help with a XT bios flash or something.. The waterblock is a O4Pro Magnum copper-block 8) Though im guessing most of the people here have never heard of O4Pro.. :lol: Its Finnish.

Yes, to the point.. The NB47J is actually very easy to fit, you just need some pliers to bend the fins and thats it! Though i had problems getting it to stay on tightly with the supplied pins as i managed to loose one of the springs :roll: , i took some from the now broken A7N8X NB heatsnik, its glued on anyway so i dont know why ASUS also uses these pins :lol: These worked good and now it sits tight on the NB, heres a couple pics.

Oh yeah, i ran out of the supplied 8mm silicone tubing so i used some 3/8" tubing instead(the white tube). Its almost the same diameter and fits perfectly :)

soujir0u

Post by soujir0u » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:56 pm

For those that don't want to hack a heatsink, here's a low profile one that might work...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthr ... ge=1&pp=15

nici

Post by nici » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:41 am

Nope, if that heatsnik would fit without the fan, it would be way too small to cool the nF4. Unfortunately, i can think of no heatsink that would fit without mutilation. Depending on the card, the NB47J might fit with just removing two rows of fins without bending the rest, i might get a new one and make it more pretty actually.. they dont cost that much. But you need some airflow on it most definately.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:46 pm

yup, found it for as low as $5.25 here in Canada. That's like $4 US! I then price matched at NCIX, definitely a must have in silent cooling!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:19 pm

Hi,
I just made my first post to these forums, here. So nici if you could check it up please. I have couple of questions there about your system.

ROcHE

Post by ROcHE » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:47 am

poohbear wrote:yup, found it for as low as $5.25 here in Canada. That's like $4 US! I then price matched at NCIX, definitely a must have in silent cooling!
where is it 5.25$?

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:00 am

ROcHE wrote:
poohbear wrote:yup, found it for as low as $5.25 here in Canada. That's like $4 US! I then price matched at NCIX, definitely a must have in silent cooling!
where is it 5.25$?
It was through a newsletter link .. no longer on sale now though ..
http://www.frontierpc.com/EmailProductD ... 46617&sc=e

I used the link to price match at NCIX. :D

el_

Post by el_ » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:37 pm

soujir0u wrote:I just had mine setup and so far it's doing quite ok.

Idle chipset temps are 40 degrees C with a NB47J and a Nexus 120mm fan blowing on it. Side panels are on.

My Gigabyte 6600GT idles at 50 degrees C. CPU (3200+) idles at 27 with a Papst 120mm at 7V.

I'm also using a XP120 and while the first 2 RAM slots are really hard to get to, it is possible. I managed to install RAM into the first DIMM slot after the XP120 was already installed. Helps if you have smaller hands.
slots 2 and 4 only! otherwise no dual channel

el_

Post by el_ » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:40 pm

to all running tight timings don't forget the tref should be set to 1168. I'll post a how to from gskill rep once I run thru it myself.

piotrgurin

Post by piotrgurin » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:57 pm

I have two questions.
1) Do you guys think its worth the trouble of finding a solution for the DFI boards, or do you think its better to go with a different mobo?

2) Would buying the SLI-DR version unstead of the Ultra-D solve this problem as you could use the other 16x slot?

nici

Post by nici » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:55 am

piotrgurin wrote:I have two questions.
1) Do you guys think its worth the trouble of finding a solution for the DFI boards, or do you think its better to go with a different mobo?

2) Would buying the SLI-DR version unstead of the Ultra-D solve this problem as you could use the other 16x slot?

1) I´ve had no serious problems with mine, not tried any other A64 mobos.

2) You can use the second 16x slot on the Ultra-D too, but you have to set it at 8x. In SLI the SLI-DR is 8x too, so if your not planning on going SLI dont bother with the SLI model.

piotrgurin

Post by piotrgurin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:43 am

What about this heatsink?
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/vi ... 5&code=014

Do you think it would clear on the DFI Boards?

ilh

Post by ilh » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:03 am

No, that would be too tall to stay under a VGA.

What's the big deal? It isn't hard to modify a NB47J to fit under a VGA, or to move the VGA to the other PCIe 16x slot (running at 8x). The performance difference between 8x and 16x is truly negligible (at least with my 6800GT).

piotrgurin

Post by piotrgurin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:18 pm

The NB47J is taller than the other yellow Zalman.

So wouldn't it make sense to go with the shorter one?

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:23 pm

Since both don't fit, I think most would agree to go with the newer/more effective at cooling one. They are same price too, pretty much.

piotrgurin

Post by piotrgurin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:10 pm

grrrrrrrrrr.....
I hate comprimises.
Guess its times to get my hacksaw out.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:15 pm

Is the NB47J still effective at cooling this chipset after you hack it? (I think it's easier to cut off half the fins rather than just the 4 required to fit a VGA card)

ilh

Post by ilh » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:57 pm

My nF4 temps were no worse with my hacked NB47J than the stock noisy HSF. Right now my nF4 is 11C above case temperature. I do have a nearby VF700 providing some airflow through it.

I wouldn't cut off more of its fins than you need to. Wire cutters are easier to use for this than a hacksaw in my experience. Also, I would bend what you can before cutting.

Aphex

Post by Aphex » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:36 pm

THank you so much everybody, I have a DFI SLI DR on the way and I was racking my brains on what to do with that infernal stock cooler. Then I saw this thread. :D

I'm so happy now, can't wait to get to work. 8)

madman

Post by madman » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:59 am

I've got this motherboard and I need a psu, can anyone confirm that a seasonic super tornado 400w will run this motherboard with a powercolor x800xl? I'm asking because I bought a seasonic 300w and it blew up when I hooked it up :(

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:36 pm

Yeah, this board requires well over 300W. The DFI employees at dfi-street actually recommend 480W, and that may even cover it if you plan on doing SLI in the future. Maybe that's why my first Antec Phantom (350W) died within seconds of a minimum boot. :( After a second failed phantom, my new Enermax 485W has been running well since.

p_huica

Post by p_huica » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:28 am

Hi guys,

I have to say that this has been a great thread so far and that it's given me some good hints for my nearly complete DFI system (PSU still missing :( ). However, I haven't quite found the tidbit I was looking for, although this thread comes closest to it. Here it goes: my question is on the same subject (quiet DFI NF4 chipset cooling), but with an added twist: I'm going to run 2 x 6800GT in SLI. Atm I'm giving the nod to the mangling of a ZM-NB47J from an efficiency point of view. Problem is, I've seen only single vid card solutions so far with mangled zalmans and I'm wondering what "super-mangling" would be required in order to get along with a 2x6800 pair. I've seen the work of ilh for instance (great job man) but that was with only 1 6800. My future setup will be a kind of a mix between Abula's and ilh's :) Take Abula's cards w. zalmans and ilh's "streching" chipset cooler and you got what I want :) Any ideas if this is possible? (rig in sig)

Thanks
Last edited by p_huica on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.