Artic vga silencer rev3, bearing noise

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ragnarok

Artic vga silencer rev3, bearing noise

Post by Ragnarok » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:41 am

I'm getting rather anoying tractor like bearing noises the norm from mine on low speed. Is this normal?

It's only 2 months old.

If i remember mike said they should be virtualy inaudible on low. Mine is the loudest thing in my pc by far and i have a maxtor dm10 set to quiet seeks in their.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:15 pm

According to the SPCR VGA Silencer review the noise was below the ambient noise level when set on low, so if your cooler is the loudest component in your system I'd guess that the fan is damaged.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:06 am

RMA it, it's a bad one. I've been doing fan testing for my new setup in a quiet room at 2am using a 12V model train transformer for power (fanless obviously :D) and could hardly hear it at low setting - I could hear a Nexus 120mm at 7V more clearly under those conditions.

Chris.Day

Post by Chris.Day » Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Mine has gone loud after 7 months. On High speed it is unbearable and makes a horrible rattly/grinding-type noise. On Low speed it is still pretty quiet but has the slight hint of grinding. If the PC is laid on it's side it is quiet - it's only noisy when the PC is in it's normal orientation.

Given the cost to buy new I don't think it's even worth RMA'ing.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:32 pm

The VGA Silencer fan is the second-quietest fan in my case, next to my NB fan, which I can't hear (even out of the case)... The only way I can hear it at all on low is if I turn OFF the 120mm case fan I have running at 5V. On high the frequency of the sound goes higher, but it doesn't really get much louder...

I can just BARELY hear it. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with mine though...

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:39 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guy's.

I have to admit the air movement is inaudible, in fact the baring sounds are also more muted when the case is on it's side but still.

Before i had a no fan on the graphic card i used to use and over all it used to sonud like a very slight movement of air took place and the HD giving off the a very very quiet sound like water moving under pressure through a pipe and the ocational faint seek from the drive. That to me is acceptable, as the sounds are quiet ( audible when the room is quiet) and inoffensive.

With the new card radeon 9800pro + vga silencer rev.3 it' sounds like i've added a humming noise and the tractor like sounds of bad barings.

I'll have to have a look arond my local Pc world store and find another as they seem to be more scarese, worst case senario are the new ones rev 5 ,or whatever they are, any good if connected to a fan controler or 5v.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:32 pm

My rev 3 bearing is whining just a tad. Can these type of fans be replaced? If not I'm planning on ripping out the fan, plastic case, and running a nexus blowing over the heat sink.

Ragnarok

Post by Ragnarok » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:51 am

I've managed to get another one. it's a noisy one too :evil: .

I've even taken off the sticker and re lubricated it and it makes no diffrence what so ever.

I think the fan circuity has chaned and the power regulators used for the 5/12v swich arn't as good. I wish i where just that easy to get the fan circuity and mod it, but it's virtualy imposable.

If only i could find a rev 1.

jldet5

Post by jldet5 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:53 pm

Ragnarok wrote:I've managed to get another one. it's a noisy one too :evil: .

I've even taken off the sticker and re lubricated it and it makes no diffrence what so ever.

I think the fan circuity has chaned and the power regulators used for the 5/12v swich arn't as good. I wish i where just that easy to get the fan circuity and mod it, but it's virtualy imposable.

If only i could find a rev 1.
I've taken off the plastic and fan. I am running a nexus 120mm using a zalman fan bracket.

I plan on trying the new ATI silencer rev 2 using a mboard fan connector but I'm not sure the rev 2 versions are out yet.

Seal

Post by Seal » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:06 am

yeah, ive had a rev 5 downvolted to 5v for a while and it started vibrating and rattling alot. all i did to sort this problem was removed the sticker behind the motor of the fan and it leaves the axle exposed, i just put a small amount of vaseline in there and covered it back up with the sticker. worked a treat.