NV Silencer 4 or ZM80D-HP?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stupid boy

NV Silencer 4 or ZM80D-HP?

Post by Stupid boy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:31 pm

I bought this.

The HSF is painfully loud.

So, I'm planning on getting the NV silencer 4, the ZM80D-HP or the ZM80C-HP to replace the stock heatsink.

I'm leaning towards the NV Silencer 4, but I've seen recommendations at SPCR for the ZM80D-HP. How quiet is this cooler?

If it's not quiet enough, I'll get the ZM80D-HP and make a blowhole for an intake fan near the video card.

And if you have any suggestions, certainly post them.

Thanks

ckolivas

Re: NV Silencer 4 or ZM80D-HP?

Post by ckolivas » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:57 pm

Stupid boy wrote:IAnd if you have any suggestions, certainly post them.
I did this mod to my vga card and have a very quiet 80mm case fan blowing onto it:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19538

Just an alternative mod for you to consider that is easy to perform.

Stupid boy

Re: NV Silencer 4 or ZM80D-HP?

Post by Stupid boy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:12 pm

ckolivas wrote:
Stupid boy wrote:IAnd if you have any suggestions, certainly post them.
I did this mod to my vga card and have a very quiet 80mm case fan blowing onto it:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19538

Just an alternative mod for you to consider that is easy to perform.
This is a bit funny; I have a ZM-NB47J that I couldn't get to stay on my southbridge without epoxy.

I'm worried that it won't be able to cool my video card adequately. Could somebody help me on this point?

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Put it on and try it? Monitor your temperatures during idle and during a stress test and see how it goes. You won't damage your hardware due to overheating; if heat is a problem it will crash or hang before it damages the hardware, but if you monitor the temperatures and they stay below 70 degrees C you should be fine. That cooler has quite decent surface area and once you have a fan blowing on it like I have the temperature is positively cool!

Stupid boy

Post by Stupid boy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:13 pm

ckolivas wrote:Put it on and try it? Monitor your temperatures during idle and during a stress test and see how it goes. You won't damage your hardware due to overheating; if heat is a problem it will crash or hang before it damages the hardware, but if you monitor the temperatures and they stay below 70 degrees C you should be fine. That cooler has quite decent surface area and once you have a fan blowing on it like I have the temperature is positively cool!
I'll try it after I finish compiling OpenOffice, but what is the chipset of your video card?

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Stupid boy wrote:I'll try it after I finish compiling OpenOffice, but what is the chipset of your video card?
As I said in that topic it is not a high spec card; a 4464dvi but the heatsink is actually cold to touch with that setup and is fine even without the fan on it.

...compiling openoffice? /me smells gentoo at work ;)

yeha

Post by yeha » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:22 pm

it seems you're in a situation of great interest to me! i'm looking to put a zalman chipset heatsink onto a more recent nvidia card (6600) but to me it looks like the mounting holes aren't compatible. more interestingly though, some reviews i've seen show that most 5900 cards have the same mounting hole positions as the 6600, so whatever you discover will tell me what to buy.

if you end up getting the zalman heatsink on, is there any way you could post some pictures? i'd be very interested in how versatile the little mount arms are.

Stupid boy

Post by Stupid boy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:19 am

I'm in Windoze now, and I haven't performed the mod yet.

I can't find how to monitor the VGA temperature. I tried the NVIDIA System Utility and Sandra.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:29 pm

thhe gugabyte card seems to be a GF4 MX card, thus it will work fine with a passive northbridge heatsink.

Do not try the same thing on a 6600!

A zalman ZM80-x heatpipe with a low speed fan @ 5v should work fine on a 5900 or 6600GT.

Stupid boy

Post by Stupid boy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:30 am

Techno Pride wrote:thhe gugabyte card seems to be a GF4 MX card, thus it will work fine with a passive northbridge heatsink.

Do not try the same thing on a 6600!

A zalman ZM80-x heatpipe with a low speed fan @ 5v should work fine on a 5900 or 6600GT.
The Gigabyte card is an MX 440-8x.

The heatsink I currently have doesn't look too good; it just has a loud fan on it. If the system will crash before the card overheats, I'll still try it.

I just need to find a program that will read the temperature.

Stupid boy

Post by Stupid boy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:07 am

I want to get something, but I still haven't really gotten any advice about the NV Silencer 4.

Let me put it this way:

What about the NV Silencer 4 or Arctic Cooling VGA heatsinks in general is worse than the ZM80D-HP? If nobody says anything, I'll probably get the NV Silencer 4.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:55 am

Well the obvious answer is that one makes a noise and the other doesnt.
Other than that, the Silencer pushes hot air out of the case which the ZM80D-HP doesn't, but the ZM80D-HP gives you better options in terms of noise control - you can attach a fan to it without too much difficulty if you want to, and that way you get to chose which one you get.

Kemokim

Post by Kemokim » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:14 pm

I have the ATI silencer for the radeon 9800pro, and im guessing that the NV silencer is just as loud if not louder..

i have a pretty silent setup, and the ati silencer is simply sounding like a cd-drive spinning.. its insane!! even at 7V its too loud, waaaaaay louder than a zalman zm80d with a fan running @ 7V

My suggestion, get the zalman! period!

(I have had 2 ATI silencers, because i RMA'ed the first one, couldnt believe it was working when it made that noise, but as the second one i got was just as loud, im guessing they just suck!)

/Kim