9800 pro fanless cooling solution

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gechu

9800 pro fanless cooling solution

Post by gechu » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 am

I need something to cool my 9800 pro without a fan. I do play alot of counter-strike.

alt:s that I´ve read about:
ZM80A-HP <- to heavy?
ZM80C-HP <- fan needed @ faster cards
ZM80D-HP <- fan needed @ faster cards

Then I basicly thought that there couldn´t be any good alt:s, but then I saw that Sapphire released a 9800 PRO Ultimate Edtion which I belive is 100% fanless.

Any suggestions?

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:25 am

I've got the C model and it works fine in my rig. Minimal gaming though it does get pretty hot when gaming. Never any artifacts though.

Check the pics in my sig.

gechu

Post by gechu » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:58 am

hey wooglin, fun to see that we have similair parts ;)

Zalman 7000
Antec Sonata

Future plans:

create two virtual profiles:

lower cpu multi, vcore, but keep HTT.
browsing and usual stuff
use speedfan or the BIOS supported feature that my k8n-e has
(cant use Cool and Quiet because a nondefualt HTT will crash my system when C&Q is enabled)

GAMING:
CPU @ max
plan to give my front button functionality to start both the chassi fan, and maybe some other fan close to my future VGA cooler.

Then use Clockgen:s batch mode function and bind it to two shortcuts, one for the default profile, and one for the gaming.

Questions:

Looks like you´ve changed the default chassi fan, did it lower the noiselevel notisible?

I need to get a passive PSU, any recommendations? Need cheap options

Is it worth getting getting more stuff to lower the noice level of my HDD:s?
(I´ve already changed the Acoustic Managament Level to minimum noise using fTool)

my system:
A64 3200+ newcastle
Asus K8n-e Deluxe (latest beta BIOS)
Zalman 7000 cu something
Antec sonata
Sapphira 9800 PRO
Default antec sonata PSU

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:25 am

I don't have any dampening on my hard drives (all 4 of them). The loudest component is the CPU cooler.

The Nexus exhaust fan is about at quiet as you can find, it's normally running at a full 12 volts to deal with the Phantom 350 (passive) PSU and admittedly hot 9800 Pro. Still, at 12 volts, it's quieter than the Zalman 7000 on the CPU. I can turn the CPU cooler down to be quieter, but folding 24x7 it puts out too much heat to turn down too far.

I'm waiting for the Antec P180 case to come out. At that time I might look at taking things to the next step with an XP-120 CPU cooler and hard drive suspension.

In my pics, there is a slot cover removed below the graphics card... helps with the cooling, but it means that the hard drives and PSU don't get as much airflow.

I put the slot cover back in... it might run a bit warmer, but I'd rather have the better flow through the Phantom and Hard drives.

gechu

Post by gechu » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:45 am

thx for the quick reply!

I notise a very big difference between the fan spinning @ 1500 RPM and 2500 rpm. I belive that I need to lower my cpu fan to 1500 rpm to be able to hear my current chassi fan (default antec sonata one). Is that the same for you?

what do you mean by "folding 24x7"?

wooglin
Patron of SPCR

Post by wooglin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:58 pm

Silent for the Zalman 7000 series seems to be somewhere below 1300rpm (in my system at least). I'm just guessing as I'm not running it off the motherboard header anymore. I installed a Sunbeam Rheobus instead to handle all the fans.

Rough figures...
CPU fan is running around 8V (I'll turn it down to around 4V when not folding)
Exhaust fan is usually at full (approx 11V off the Rheobus I believe)
HD fan is around 7V. Keeps the HDs cool, as well as generating some airflow towards the graphics card.

Running the stock sonata fan (connected to the stock PSU) results in both the exhaust fan and PSU fan fighting for the same air. If the temperature increases, they both ramp up... It's still quieter than any other Dell or Gateway... but far from silent.

Check out the folding FAQ here http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=11630