large case fan above the AGP slot?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dentaku

large case fan above the AGP slot?

Post by dentaku » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:35 pm

I ordered an AGP Gigabyte 6800 with a heatpipe model: GV-N68128DH now that it's easier to find in Canada and I'm wondering what I should do to keep my case temperatures cool now that I'm going to have a much hotter video card in my computer. I just have a Geforce 2 MX at the moment which doesn't get hot at all.

I'm thinking of putting a big slow turning 120mm case fan in the back of it right above the AGP slot.

I have a Zalman cooler on my P4 3.2Ghz processor and it blows air towards the motherboard and out in every direction and my Enermax power supply has a large bottom fan and a slightly smaller rear fan.
Those are the only fans I have (just the Zalman CPU cooler and the 2 PSU fans).

Will adding a rear blowing case fan help at all considering I don't have a front case fan to blow air into the case?

I'm assuming a Nexus fan would be my best bet if I want something quiet?

RedSnapper

Post by RedSnapper » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:51 pm

The biggest prob I found with the silentpipe (6600gt in this case) is keeping the card itself cool, rather than the case. The case temps didn't really change much when moving up from a 9600.

Pointing a low rpm fan at the card dropped the cards temps by 10c, it now idles at 50c. I guess it kind of defeats the reasoning behind a passive card, but at least you can pick your own fan.

dentaku

Post by dentaku » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:53 pm

RedSnapper wrote: Pointing a low rpm fan at the card dropped the cards temps by 10c, it now idles at 50c. I guess it kind of defeats the reasoning behind a passive card, but at least you can pick your own fan.
Yup, my reasoning for getting the passively cooled card was so that I could choose the fan.
The 6800 uses less power than the 6600GT so it should be cooler anyway.

rei

Post by rei » Fri May 06, 2005 11:38 am

on a somewhat related note, what cpu fan do you use? i just bought a heatpipe x800xl and am worried some of the silent cpu hsf i have on order won't fit

i have a freezer 64 (will take it home to eye ball tonight) and am worried it'll mash up against the the heatsink on the side of the card facing up.

may have to get a silencer 64 ultra...

rei

Post by rei » Fri May 06, 2005 11:40 am

er, n/m, reread it and saw you use a zalman, which won't work in my mobo.