Have the AC silencer fans been fixed yet?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trpltongue

Have the AC silencer fans been fixed yet?

Post by trpltongue » Thu May 26, 2005 12:43 pm

Hey all,

I just picked up an X700Pro AGP for a steal and now I need to silence it. From the tests that I've read, the Zalman 700 doesn't cool as well as the silencer even with a fan blowing on the Zalman and I don't want to risk damaging the card just to lower the noise level. So....I've been reading up on all the different versions of Silencer's and I keep seeing posts late last year and early this year about AC replacing the fans with fans that don't click. Has this happened yet? I can't find the AC Silencers locally so I'd have to buy it on-line which would mean basically no refund option if it clicks.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Russell

cjpark

Post by cjpark » Thu May 26, 2005 12:52 pm

On their site it says they added a filter to the pcb in the rev2 models to reduce the clicking, but I haven't actually heard one to say how effective this change was.

trpltongue

Post by trpltongue » Fri May 27, 2005 4:02 am

Thanks cjpark! I hadn't seen that on their site. I guess I can give it a try and see what happens.

Does AC sell their stuff through retail stores at all, or is it only online?

Russell

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Fri May 27, 2005 4:53 pm

I'm hoping they are as I am about to order an NV5 .
I have no way of checking if it is fixed or not until I receive it .
and on a 6800 ultra the options are (very) limited.
I know it is a bad choice for silencing - but I bought it off a friend who just upgraded to PCI express when he parted out his system and noise aside it works well.
So the better have fixed them !

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sat May 28, 2005 1:12 am

Beware: even if you don't get the dreaded PWM clicking, the fan can start to gring/click on it's own.

You'll have to disassemble it and re-lubricate it (voiding the warranty sticker) with oil.

Also, once the fan breaks, the whole cooler is useless.

As a last point: I get lower GPU temps with my ZM-80D + 5-7V Nexus / Adda fan at a lower noise output.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat May 28, 2005 2:06 pm

There is the issue of getting the heat out of the case (in my case a small(ish) mATX minitower the NV5 shpuld(I hope) do this and still be quiter than the blower fan on my card (nearly as loud at full speed as an 80x38 delta )
I have a Zalman 80d-hp on my Athlon machine on a Ti 4600 leadtek card it needs a fan to cool it while gaming or it gets too hot - kinda defeats the purpose of having a passive cooler , no?
Still all in all the zalman is not bad , but I would not be confident in using one to cool a GF 6800 ultra even with a fan unles that fan blew quite a bit of air .
Plus the zalman (according to THEIR website) is incompatible due to the different mounting arrangement