Anyone use the ViewSonic VP191b?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LH

Anyone use the ViewSonic VP191b?

Post by LH » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:21 pm

I've narrowed down my choices for a 19" LCD monitor to the ViewSonic VP191b (latest version) and the Samsung 193P+-Silver. Since the availability of Samsung seems to be rather scarce and its price is around $600, I'm just about set to buy the ViewSonic. Newegg listed it at $425 a couple of weeks ago, but now it's up to $450. However, I'm worried about spending $500 (including tax and shipping) on a monitor and winding up with dead pixels...

Anyway, I believe the VP191b (latest version) has a 8ms gray-to-gray response time and also uses an 8-bit panel, which seems to be a rare combination. However, I believe it also utilizes an integrated power supply (brick?), but I don't remember if that is supposed to be a good or bad thing. I suppose an external brick could be placed further away from one's ears (or put in some kind of enclosure) to reduce the apparent volume of the whine. If so, this would mean an integrated-into-monitor power supply could be bad if it whines audibly. Anyone have problems with his or her VP191b? Whining? Excessive number of dead pixels?

Thanks for any info.

Flexo

Post by Flexo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:42 am

Hi LH

I've found this extensive discussion thread at Hardforum for users and future users of the Viewsonic VP191b (8ms) monitor here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... ge=1&pp=20

They all discuss its capabilities in detail and have been posting recently, so I'm sure your queries could be answered. I'd be interested to hear of your findings of this very promising monitor.

kesv

Re: Anyone use the ViewSonic VP191b?

Post by kesv » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 am

LH wrote:I suppose an external brick could be placed further away from one's ears (or put in some kind of enclosure) to reduce the apparent volume of the whine. If so, this would mean an integrated-into-monitor power supply could be bad if it whines audibly.
Since when do brick powersources whine ? I've yet to see a single one that would give out audible noise. I suppose theoretically it's possible, but I've never seen this in practice. We are talking about passively cooled bricks, right ?

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:37 am

Since when do brick powersources whine ?
The brick of my gsm does whine or buzzes, and so does the one of my yamaha keyboard.
Coils do whine, even if passive.

I confess i changed from my old liyama vision pro master 410 to the VP191b because i was tired of the buzz of the crt monitor.

I was very worried whether the integrated brick could be heard ; but no, there is no trace of it :D nothing even in the quietest hour of the quietest night.
I hope i helped you. Cause it's a hard question to post on a non silence oriented forum.

kesv

Post by kesv » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:12 am

Pilot wrote:
Since when do brick powersources whine ?
The brick of my gsm does whine or buzzes, and so does the one of my yamaha keyboard.
Coils do whine, even if passive.
Like I said, I know this is theoretically possible. But I haven't experienced this in practice. And I have seen a lot of bricks. 4 gsm phones, a couple of laptops and several 9 to 12V bricks for various electronics devices. None that I can remember had an audible buzz.

What did buzz was a battery charger I had, but that was a cheap thing so I didn't expect much. I'd expect the product control for sensitive devices like lcd displays to be better than that.

There is a suggestion you hear from time to time to make sure there are no dead pixels in an lcd panel: 'Don't buy the device unless you can inspect and test the very panel you are buying in the shop.' Obviously that rules out mailorder entirely. At the same time it would be possible to test the powersource for any whine, the problem here is that sometimes coil whine only manifests when fed conviniently 'dirty' current. Note that this suggestion was made by people that want to be very sure what they are getting, so you have to decide for yourself if it is something you want and can follow.

LH

Post by LH » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:03 pm

Flexo, thanks for that link. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Pilot, thanks for the info about your VP191b. Glad to know there's no problems with the integrated power supply.

kesv, thanks for the replies. I'd love to personally check out the VP191b before buying, but none of my local "big" retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) have them in stock. I think Office Depot can special-order them, but I'm not sure they'll let me open it up and check it out without buying it first (and then I probably can't return/exhange it because it's a special-order item). So, there doesn't seem to be much I can do except order it online and hope for the best...