VF700 vs. Schooner

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ackelind

VF700 vs. Schooner

Post by Ackelind » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:34 pm

Those two are the options im down to now, in my next setup.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=24623

Would the VF700 be the noisies part at 5V? Or could I get it to go as far down as 3V and still have enough cooling for 2D applications and everyday surfing?

The scooner seems lika a real PITA to assemble..

BenW

Post by BenW » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:37 am

I doubt the fan would run at 3V and almost certainly wouldn't start at 3V

I'm going to be getting a schooner within the week. Will let you know the temps on my Radeon 9800Pro compared to the artic cooler on the same card

justblair

Post by justblair » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:14 am

The schooner is a bit fiddly to put together, but my brother has just fitted one to his high end card (I'll post the brand later) His card came origionally with a twin fanned wind tunnel style cooler. After I installed my thermaltake (old model) passive cooler, he went out and got the schooner.

Yes its a pain to put together. Especially since you feed the heat pipes in from outside and fit in situ. It also uses a universal bracket system identical to mine to mount the heatsink to the gpu, and a word of warning, these loosen up easily if you move the card and are covered by the heatsink.

However, his machine doesn't sound like a jet readying for take off anymore. His GPU temps dropped by 10c!!! which is bloody brilliant and perhaps even of interest to overclockers.

I'll try and get him to post on the site with photos. But he is desperately trying not join this particular cult!!! Although I read him scriptures every day, and he has also joined me in a "dropping to 7v" ceremony on his front case fan, and replaced his PSU with a quiet one... but he can handle it! Make him feel welcome if you see "shruiy"

Would I buy one? Yes I bloody would. Especially if I was a gaming freek. Overclocking should be good on this cooler. And as it radiates outside, hopefully not to hard on noise either.

Anyone else using it?

BenW

Post by BenW » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am

Still haven't got mine :(

Waiting for my new credit card before i order

shruiy

Post by shruiy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:45 pm

Hey there, I'm the unfortunate one known as justblair's brother. I'm reporting you all to whichever police department it is that deals with cults who steal family members!

System as it stands,
Coolermaster case (nothing special, just looks nice)
Athlon 3000 with Thermaltake volcano 12 (blimmin jet engine)
1.5Gb mem with passive heat dissipater thingys
Leadtek 5900 Ultra
all kept in a small cupboard space of an office desk (see the 1-minute-in-MS Paint special diagram)

As you will notice this system is not exactly a silent running system, it's meant more for performance (yeah its old now) and I'm not into doing anything too much like custom made devices or cutting up my nice office desk to create more ventilation. The damn thing works and thats as much as I need.

It is an extrememly noisy bugger though. The CPU fan I have a dial for at the front so for low end business I can crank it down to an acceptable level.

Anyways, so why go for the schooner? The cooling system Leadtek shipped the 5900 with seemed pretty cool, a heatsink that covers the GPU and memory, the entire card being completely encased in a metal box with intake and outtake fans to pull air over the heatsink. Idle it ran at about 59-60 degrees and with a load like Half Life 2 it ran in the upper 90s. Nothing I paid much attention to as I'm not an overclocker and it worked without crashing = happy me.

Leadtek 5900 ultra

Problem is the fans make the worst noise. A high pitch whine and also the hot air would be expelled only a few inches away from where the cool air comes in with nowhere to go so I reckon it would be just recycling the same air after a while anyway.

So I was impressed with the first TT vga cooler that Blair has installed on his 4600 (well, my 4600 but you know how it is with family hand me downs). By now of course the Schooner had come out which looked a better solution as instead of relying on your internal airflow to help cool it it would shunt some of the heat directly out itself.

So it's cheap, looks the business and reviews I read mentioned a drop in temperature over the stock fans (reviewer was using ATi equivalent of an nvidia 6600 I think). I had seen a round up on a german site thats been mentioned eslewhere which mentione two other solutions that were a bit better but my german is rubbish and I couldn't find them anwyay.

I cannot stress enough how fiddly this was to install! Mainly I think to do with the universal brackets, once you have the main sink sitting on a layer of grease to slide about on it can be a right sod, and it needs to be straight as the rest of the entire assembly relies on it being dead on or it won't fit. Overall it took me over an hour to assemble the whole thing and ended up with a heavy card. The most annoying bit is the external fins, they don't fit through the PCI slot on my case and from what I've read don't fit through many others.
So once you have fitted the main assembly you need to install your card and then fit the external fins part and screw it in place. For this I had to remove several cards so i could get in to do this.

But once done that was it and away we went. My system was now a whole heap quieter and without that incessant whining. Both the idle and load temperatures dropped by about 10 degrees. Any heat being expelled by the cooler is being drawn away by a small, absolutely silent but very effective USB fan that sits on top of my system, more to do with the enclosed space the system sits in to keep it cool or the whole space overheats.

So I would recommend the schooner, I think i saw a picture elsewhere of someones gfx card which show the gpu core had moved from the standard position so make sure your card will fit it. I reckon it could easily handle the 6xxx series of nvidia as long as the case has good airflow as most of the reviews seem to be based on these cards or their Ati equivalents.

my system - look impressed at my leet Paint skills!

BenW

Post by BenW » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:52 pm

Love the diagram :)

I ordered mine last night, hope i find it as good as you do. I'll be comparing it to an arctic cooler though, not the stock cooler

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:28 am

BenW

Hope you have success with it. Just make sure you put some calming music on before you start putting it together :D

Thanks for the mini review Shruiy...

Now you are one of us. We are all your family now. There is no need to talk to the other forums. You cant trust other forums. You can only reach Nirvana by silencing. You are on the path to enlightenment. Repeat the mantra and you will achieve eternal hapiness.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:06 am

I've gotten my schooner along with all the stuff to my new setup. I've got everything assembled except for the schooner (i started to assemble my computer at 10 in the evening, didn't really have the time).

I'll update you guys in a few days about how it worked out..

BenW

Post by BenW » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:27 pm

Schould have had mine today but i was out when it came. Need to phone them tomorrow and hope they might deliver. If not its a wait until tuesday (Bank Holiday monday in the UK so they wont deliver)

BenW

Post by BenW » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:56 am

Well i've got it and its installed. System is very quiet now (Installed 2 nexus fans at same time) but the schooner....OH MY GOD!

Took ages to install but it wasn't too hard, just a lot of screws etc.

Comparing it to my arctic cooler, i seem to have similar temperatures but i've just set ati tray tools finding highest core and memory speeds and its getting higher than the arctic cooler would take it!

The core is going about 3mhz higher and memory is still going up. Currently at 367 and looks like it might not get much higher. I'll let you know how high it gets

Should add that i put it all together using arctic silver 5 rather than the included stuff

Its just finished finding the max overclock.

Arctic cooler got this:
Core - 413
Mem - 357

Schooner got this:
Core - 416
Mem - 369

I'll put them down a little bit to be safe, great cooler though!

Just felt the copper heatpipe that comes out of the back and its HOT! Probably hotter than my fanless xp120 on the cpu. Oh and also it JUST fitted through my pci slot. Using a Silverstone TJ-04

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:46 pm

Now I really need to get time to install mine!

The base of the core heatsink didn't seem to well made, it was really uneven and had a great deal of scratches on it. Guess I'll have to use a bit more TIM since I don't have the proper tools for lapping.

The external heatsink fits through the slots at the back of the P180, so for all you people out there with this combo, you can assemble your card and then install it.

shruiy

Post by shruiy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:44 am

Ackelind wrote:Now I really need to get time to install mine!

The base of the core heatsink didn't seem to well made, it was really uneven and had a great deal of scratches on it. Guess I'll have to use a bit more TIM since I don't have the proper tools for lapping.

The external heatsink fits through the slots at the back of the P180, so for all you people out there with this combo, you can assemble your card and then install it.
Gah, looks like I'm PCI-slot-size deficient! ;)

I had a close look at the core heatsink when I got it and it was fine for me, wasn't scratched and seemed quite smooth and flat. There has been mention in one or two reviews that TT don't always have a smooth end product. Seems to be a lottery if you get a decent finished product or not.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:12 am

I've installed my Schooner now, it was the biggest PITA to install ever. Period. Even worse than a complete P180 setup.

Right now, idle is somewhere around 50 i believe, and I've tried with both my case door open and closed, closed door made the temps lower.

First time i ran 3dmark03, the computer froze and I was really worried about if I screwed up the installation or if it got to hot. The fact that the heatpipes coming out back are hot to the touch proves that it really transfers heat.

I installed some nexus case fans at the same time, and I have lower airflow now, so I can't really compare temps from the stock cooler.

BenW

Post by BenW » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:56 pm

You've done exactly the same as me! I installed 2 nexus at the same time

I went from 1 rear everflow at 7v to a front and rear nexus at 12. The rear is ducted to the cpu. My cpu temps dropped about 2-4C and hard drive dropped a whopping 10C! This is a suspended samsung, was 33 before and now 23

Schooner still working well, did you use the standard compound and what card are you using?

justblair

Post by justblair » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:23 am

The CPU and HD drops are impressive mate...

The Schooner seems to be working well for those that have it then? Logic says this design should be one of the best for quiet operation. It would be interesting to see if case temps in a like for like comparison. If the rear radiator is doing its job well, they should drop a fraction.

Anyone got one who's not a happy bunny?

justblair

Post by justblair » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:26 am

The CPU and HD drops are impressive mate...

The Schooner seems to be working well for those that have it then? Logic says this design should be one of the best for quiet operation. It would be interesting to see if case temps in a like for like comparison. If the rear radiator is doing its job well, they should drop a fraction.

Anyone got one who's not a happy bunny?

BenW

Post by BenW » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:18 am

I can't comment on case temps, not sure which one (If any) it is in speedfan! Plus my arctic cooler is now in the bin!

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:47 am

I've done some testing now.

My card is a Leadtek 6600GT, running at stock speed so far. I installed the whole thing using AS5 instead of the provided TIM, since I had a whole lot left from installing the CPU. I've got AS5 all over my apartment now, hehe. I also screwed up big time with the core, the main heatsink slid around a lot before I got it all right, but it seems stuck in place now atleast.

Been running loops of 3dmark03's mother nature all night, i have both my nexus fans at the back, drawing heat out.

Idle: 45C
Load 62C

Those temps are really great. With the stock cooler in my barebone, I had idle 55C and load 90+!

I will try with only one nexus fan at the back, and top vent blocked/unblocked and see if it affect the temps.

BenW

Post by BenW » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:46 am

Mine has little airflow really. Front intake onto it but the exhaust is ducted to the cpu so has nothing taking air away from it

justblair

Post by justblair » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:03 am

I think this product definately requires a full review. It seems to be perfect for the comunity here...

I did search for one, so dont flame me if I missed it please :wink:

If you are from thermaltake and reading this, get one to Mike please.

Still interested in anyone who has been disapointed?

BenW

Post by BenW » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:18 am

You dont need a review from SPCR, its silent so that doesn't matter.

This seems ok: http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page ... schooner_1

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:21 am

The reviews I have seen, including the one you link to are from non-silencing type sites. Overclocking is the main criteria I see applied to reviews on products of this type... Not relevent to our purpose, and not fair on the product itself.

I would like to see more info on

1 effects in near passive/low fan speed systems

2 knock on effects on case/cpu temps

3 comparisons against other low noise products.

BenW

Post by BenW » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am

Well i can answer some based on my system

2.26 P4 undervolted a bit
Radeon 9800Pro with schooner
2 Nexus case fans
Thermalright XP120 passive
Think thats all you need to know

So when my fans are at 5v (Low airflow) the gpu temp idles about 50C and cpu idles about 40C.

When fans are at 12V the gpu temp idles about 45 and load about 55. Cpu idles about 28C and load about 45C

The cpu heatsink is ducted to the rear nexus hence the slightly strange temps

My cpu temps actually went down when i got the schooner! However i put 2 nexus in at 12v and put AS5 on the cpu. Went down 3C+

Cooling is slightly worse than arctic cooler at 12V but overclocking better (Schooner covers memory as well)

Hope thats a little reading for you!

Any more questions just ask

justblair

Post by justblair » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:53 pm

Thanks, thats the kind of info that is handy...

JB