Thermalright V-1 passive?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AndrewD

Thermalright V-1 passive?

Post by AndrewD » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:07 am

Wondering how effective the V1 is without a fan? Has anyone tried it?

I'm using a VF700-Cu on my X800 XL at the moment (Fanmated down to about 3.5v), but its too noisy so I really want to replace it.

But I have a XP-120 and A8N-SLI so clearance is a problem. The V1 with a fan attached on the rear of the HS won't fit.

So for the V1 the options are: 1. remove the fan completely, 2. mount a quieter one on the front of the HS, but no fan on the rear, or 3. mount a fan above the HS blowing down over it. Otherwise, I'll have to go back to the original plan which was either a ZM80D-HP or a TT Schooner...

Starting to regret choosing the XP-120 instead of the XP-90 -- that in combination with a Zalman NB47J on the chipset limits the video cooling options that will fit.

winguy

Post by winguy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:42 am

Doubt it'll cool better than BeQuiet! Polar Freezer or Aerocool VM-102 passively.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:53 am

AndrewD, I have the same case, mobo (mine is deluxe), XP-90 and VM-101 on a 6600GT. The XP-90 and VM-101 touch, so you won't be able to use VM-101(2) together with the XP-120. You have very low airflow in the case (~600 rpm while I have ~1,000 rpm fans), obviously very low noise also. The temperatures of a passively cooled GPU depend on case airflow, from my experience. If I were you I would stay with the VF-700Cu and try to dampen its noise. And BTW, I think you should check the temps on the NB47J, too...

AndrewD

Post by AndrewD » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:37 pm

Tzupy - thanks for the advice... problem is that I haven't figured out how to check the temps on my chipset. AFAIK, there is no way to accurately read the temp with the Asus board. I've tried all the methods suggested here previously and none worked.

The NB47J is always hot to the touch - not too bad at idle but gets quite hot under load. Never had any stability problems as a result though. But I've only modestly o/c'ed to around 225 FSB.

The VF700 fan is really annoying - it's the bearing noise that is intrusive, so it has to go... I have considered trying Acoustipack, but by the time I import it, that's going to be an expensive option. Would prefer to try to deal with the source of the problem instead.

Even if I can't go passive on the video card, at least if I can get a different cooler that I can use a Nexus fan with, this should be an improvement. Alternatively, if I can remove the video fan, I can increase the speed of the Nexus fans to improve the airflow - while it might increase the overall noise level, it should be a smoother sound than what I currently have with the VF. I could also then try running the XP-120 passive - might be ok if I lower the CPU speed and voltage.

I need to dampen the HDD too, so have a bit of work to do. But with the cost of a video cooler being around $50 - $60 AUD plus postage, and having already spent a reasonable amount on the VF, I don't want to end up with something else I won't be entirely happy with.

gitto

Post by gitto » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:37 pm

How about trying a fan swap on the VF-700? Import a Nexus 80mm, or use a low speed panaflo.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:40 am

Or how about the TT schooner? I run my 6600GT passive with it, and I have great temps even with very low airflow in my system. One nexus fan at 5.5V as the only fan in the system is enough for me to keep it cool.

AndrewD

Post by AndrewD » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions... Not sure how to go about doing a fan swap gitto - especially with safely securing a new fan onto the VF700.

I've been considering the Schooner - just not sure if I want it hanging out the back of my case :?. Anyway, so that gives me 4 different options - just have to decide which one is likely to be the most successful!

gitto

Post by gitto » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:25 am

AndrewD

Post by AndrewD » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:40 am

gitto - Great, thanks. I might give this a try then. I tried searching for any posts on VF700 fan swapping but didn't find anything. Cheers!

I'll post some details and temp comparisons when I'm done.