Leadtek 6800 retail-cooling the most audible in my system?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

blunden

Leadtek 6800 retail-cooling the most audible in my system?

Post by blunden » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:54 am

I wonder what the noise in my P180 comes from.

My setup:

Antec P180 with all fans on LOW

ABIT NF7-S v2.0 with zalman passive cooling on the northbridge

AMD 2500+ @200x10 with the standard heatsink (or maybe spire, I don't know) with an 80 mm papst spinning around 1500-1600 rpm (I think it's this fan or something similar http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=17907)

Tagan 2force 430W

Leadtek 6800LE with Leadtek's retail-cooling (the big copper thing)

Is the leadtek the culprit in my setup? Is it worth buying a Zalman VF700 CU? How well does it cool the card running on LOW?

EDIT: I now noticed that you could control the fan down to 25% in the newest version of rivatuner. Now I can safely say that my VGA-card is responsible for all the noice as dropping the fan down to 30% makes it very quiet. How do you think the noicelevel is now compared to the VF700?

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:12 am

I'm surpised the Leadtek isn't quiet, as they're usually among the quieter VGA cards...

Anyway, what are the temperatures like in idle/games with the fan throttled down compared to normal? If they're still ok and you're happy with the sound now, then there's no point changing. Just my opinion.

blunden

Post by blunden » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:37 am

Quiet is subjective, it's quieter than the reference cooler. At 25% it's very silent and idles at 64-66 C. At 50-53% it idles at about 60-62 C. Though when gaming I will have to put the fan at around 100% or I will get artifacts in some games because of the heat ( I do sometimes anyway :(). As I don't play games a lot, and when I do I can simply turn up my speakers :D, it doesn't matter that much.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:59 am

If gaming is rare, then just increasing the fan for 3D is the cheaper solution - it depends whether it's too noticable - the in-game sounds can help cover up a lot of the noise in some situations...

In terms of temperatures though, you don't really want to risk frying the card though - 60's at idle would likely mean much higher in 3D mode - so an investment in a new cooler is probably the correct route. I've checked out the cost of the Zalman and it's seems not too bad - I can't comment on it's cooling effectiveness though.

Btw, yeah, quiet is subjective - I've put up with a noisy system for over 4 years and so when my I got a newer system it sounded very quiet - as I'm getting used to it though I'm starting to hear it more now though. :)

blunden

Post by blunden » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:00 pm

The card should be able to take about 90-100 degrees (it's set to throttle default at 120 C so I guess it should be ok). Though in with the fan on maximum the cooling is much more effective as I can't see it rising over 70 C ever.

scrandman

Post by scrandman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:46 am

I have the 6800nu, and it was the noisiest component in my PC. Temps never got above 54C and it only ever ran at 40%, but it was damn noisy still.

I solved the problem by removing the platic shroud, stock fan and installed a 120mm over the large copper heatsink using tie-wraps. Not overly pretty, but very quiest and temps are slightly better.