New Arctic-Cooling GPU coolers: Accelero X1 & X2

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

New Arctic-Cooling GPU coolers: Accelero X1 & X2

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:41 pm

Arctic-Cooling has shown it's new coolers for GeForce 6800 & 7800 (Accelero X1) and Radeon X1800 & X1900 (Accelero X2) graphic cards.

The cooler measures 152 x 90 x 30mm (5,98" x 3,54" x 1,18") and the fan measures 141 x 120 x 28mm (5,55" x 4,72" x 1,1") for both models. The cooler is temperature controlled and varies from 500 to 2000rpm for the X1 model and permanent 2000rpm for the X2 model. The fan pushes 9,82CFM (16,7m3/h). The cooler weighs a total 260gr (0,573 lbs).

AC Marketing says the X1 has a thermal resistance of 0,39ºC/W against 0,95ºC/W for the default cooler. The X2 on the other hand (according to their testing) has the same performance @ 2000rpm as the default cooler @ 5000rpm.

These new models feature a new vibration absorving system and six heatpipes.
They'll be available in February (in Europe at least) costing around €35.

Pic:
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/dive ... 025482.jpg

Data sheet:
http://www.matbe.com/images/biblio/dive ... 025484.jpg

Source: Matbe

EDIT:
Review #1
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Arct ... AcceleroX2
Revire #2
http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Arti ... &arc_id=63
Last edited by rpsgc on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:58 pm

So I take it these coolers do not exhaust hot air outside the case anymore as it isn't marketed in the specs? If it's true, then the last advantage of AC over competitors has vanished.

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:15 pm

No exhaust and a release date in feb? Guess i'm getting a 5 rev 3 after all then. Maybe the price will drop a bit.

MiKeLezZ

Post by MiKeLezZ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:22 pm

19€ is already a good price
i don't think it will drop a lot
these new x1 & x2 don't make me thrill

Bob_the_lost

Post by Bob_the_lost » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:57 pm

MiKeLezZ wrote:19€ is already a good price
i don't think it will drop a lot
What can i say, i'm a cheap git. :D

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 am

JazzJackRabbit wrote:So I take it these coolers do not exhaust hot air outside the case anymore as it isn't marketed in the specs? If it's true, then the last advantage of AC over competitors has vanished.
I guess so.
It's similar to the cooler made by AC for the Asus X1800XT TOP edition.

As you can see, this one doesn't exhaust air outside, so...

darthan

Post by darthan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:51 am

Umm, is it just me or are they making shit up on their spec sheets? Fan=141mmx120mmx28mm? Wha? Circles don't have length and width, just diameter. And that is definitely not a 120mm (let alone 141mm) fan on that cooler.

These look like they could be decent but I'd like to see more coolers with user customizeable fans like the Thermalright V1.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:50 pm

First Accelero X2 review up!
Review @ TechPowerUp!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:57 am

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:46 pm

NGOHQ wrote:Pros:
* Performance
* Quiet
* Heat pipes
Why the hell do they list the heatpipes as a pro? If it works well for the noise level, it doesn't matter what method it uses to make it work well(as long as there are no side effects). Are they implying they're untrustable? "Don't take our word for it, note how it has heatpipes, so it has to be good."

wundi

Post by wundi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:19 pm

mathias wrote: Why the hell do they list the heatpipes as a pro? If it works well for the noise level, it doesn't matter what method it uses to make it work well(as long as there are no side effects). Are they implying they're untrustable? "Don't take our word for it, note how it has heatpipes, so it has to be good."
Heatpipes are sexy! Heatpipes, mmm.
The more heatpipes you have, the more you get laid!

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:25 pm

wundi wrote:The more heatpipes you have, the more you get laid!
Really? Why don't you compare the number of heatpipes the average average person has to the number of heatpipes the average slashdoter has?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:59 pm

mathias wrote:Why the hell do they list the heatpipes as a pro? If it works well for the noise level, it doesn't matter what method it uses to make it work well(as long as there are no side effects). Are they implying they're untrustable? "Don't take our word for it, note how it has heatpipes, so it has to be good."
IMO it's quite a common thing among lousy review sites to point out irrelevant facts in the pros/cons list for the reviewed product. However, they are often skimpy when it comes to what's higly relevant for the review, i.e. how they have done their measurements. In that NGOHQ review for example, they claim that the noise level of the stock cooler is 88dB, that's over 50dB higher than the reviewed AC cooler, yet there's not even the tiniest comment on how they managed to do such an obviously high read out.

wundi

Post by wundi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:58 pm

88dB, :lol:
According to Wikipedia...
Exposure to high levels of noise (>85 dB or more) for extended periods of time can cause a permanent, sensorineural hearing loss.

geforce1

Post by geforce1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:33 pm

The 88dba noise level must've been measured with the mic in the path of airflow or right up against the fan itself.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:31 pm

The main appeal, for me, was the exhaust....sorta aids in a nice airflow pattern....the tiny fan, and recycled heat doesn't really make this an appealing alternative..

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:43 pm

ryboto wrote:The main appeal, for me, was the exhaust....sorta aids in a nice airflow pattern....the tiny fan, and recycled heat doesn't really make this an appealing alternative..
it is a cheaper alternative compared to silencer series, however Zalman solution also performed very good though do some air recycling.
mathias wrote:
wundi wrote:The more heatpipes you have, the more you get laid!
Really? Why don't you compare the number of heatpipes the average average person has to the number of heatpipes the average slashdoter has?
Sometimes in the past Harcoreware provide gallery section with spec including number of fans (I believe it was in the Dark Age when people with more fans will get more number of chicks), I think this days trend have changed to heatpipes,

Btw I got 18 heatpipes in my case:
6 in ninja(I'd cheat to say 12 :lol: )
10 in ZM-2HC1
2 in VM-101

hope that's sufficient to get some Hungarian babes with this number of heatpipes.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm still confused as to how this exactly moves air. Does it suck air in through the fan, and blow it DOWN, thus HEATING UP the motherboard? I saw in one of the pics that there is an exhaust hole on the side over the PWM. Still very confused as to how the airflow works for this cooler.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:02 am

acaurora wrote:I'm still confused as to how this exactly moves air. Does it suck air in through the fan, and blow it DOWN, thus HEATING UP the motherboard? I saw in one of the pics that there is an exhaust hole on the side over the PWM. Still very confused as to how the airflow works for this cooler.
Yep, sucks in and blow down what I can read and figure out ;-)
A bit bad, would be bether if they had the channels blow out like a silencer on steroids. The fan could still blow down but have some small curves in the heatsinkt to change airflow and then out

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 am

acaurora wrote:I'm still confused as to how this exactly moves air. Does it suck air in through the fan, and blow it DOWN, thus HEATING UP the motherboard? I saw in one of the pics that there is an exhaust hole on the side over the PWM. Still very confused as to how the airflow works for this cooler.
Cool air in: http://www.ngohq.com/images/articles/ac ... /Front.jpg
Warmer air out (after passing through the heatsink): http://www.ngohq.com/images/articles/ac ... 2/side.jpg

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:13 am

Weldingheart wrote:
ryboto wrote:The main appeal, for me, was the exhaust....sorta aids in a nice airflow pattern....the tiny fan, and recycled heat doesn't really make this an appealing alternative..
it is a cheaper alternative compared to silencer series, however Zalman solution also performed very good though do some air recycling.
so, you're saying this series is going to sell alongside new Silencer products? or are they replacing the Silencer line?? cause they're saying they're going to debut at around $33, which is what i paid for my silencer...

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:49 pm

wundi wrote: Heatpipes are sexy! Heatpipes, mmm.
The more heatpipes you have, the more you get laid!
I dont have any heatpipes in my computer, yeah... It´s all old-school heatsinks baby :mrgreen: screw this, i need to get some shut eye..

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Have you noticed that both reviews of the Accelero X2, are made with no case, and on the other review a case which has been opened?

That confirms my suspicion that this coolers are not going to be helpful because they did away with the exhaust solution.

Tisk, Tisk, Arctic!!!

Yes they keep the GPU quiet and cool, but they keep all the heat inside the case affecting all the other components. CPU, and MOBO.

This solution is plain dumb! They should have followed the exhaust solution they did with the former Silencers....

I'm getting a X1900 soon, and I'm not sure now how I'm going to quiet the damn thing decently.

WHY... WHY THEY DID AWAY WITH THE EXHAUST SOLUTION?!!!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:35 am

Cut a hole here on the back and put a small duct to redirect the hot air? I don't know...

nici

Post by nici » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:13 am

It wouldnt be that difficult ducting it to the rear intake on the P150 or P180, or any holes on the sidepanel of a case(3000B style) for that matter wich would be even easier.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:16 pm

You mean to the rear exhaust?

How would you duct this thing. Doesn't seem easy at all...

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:22 pm

oscar3d wrote:You mean to the rear exhaust?
No. The rear intake grill.
See here for the P180 (right where the "r" is) and here for the P150

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Ok, now I got it.

Now what about the materials to duct?

And changing the question, and I would love to see a Arctic Rep here:

Instead of:

33USD (Accelero X2) + Do it Yourself solution for ducting.

How about:

50USD (Accelero X2 Rev2) The whole solution, and I don't mess with stuff.

I see how many of us could be dissapointed with something that doesn't provide an integral solution. Yes cooling your GPU but heating all the other stuff inside the case.

I would love to see a future SPCR review about this in the future and with the CASE CLOSED. And see how effective it might be.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 am

You might find this interesting. Apparently they don't care about having hot air recirculating inside the case. This is bad.

This is a letter from me to Arctic, and unexpectedly I have a response from an Arctic Rep.

My letter:
"HI:

I’ve been an Arctic customer for quite some years, I’ve been using your NV and ATI Silencers, with very good results overall, because of the cooling/noise reduction they provide.

Mostly I like the way they work as an exhaust taking the hot air out of the computer cases, and maintaining the overall cooling of the system.

I’m about to order new ATI X1900’s next week, and I was waiting to order your new Accelero X2 series for it. But now I’ve seen the reviews on it and I’ve noticed that you did away with the exhaust solution.

Now I’m not very convinced about getting a GPU cooler that kills noise and cools well, but keeps hot air inside the case. I’ve seen post from other customers, specially on www.silentpcreview.com, and we don’t feel very motivated to purchase a non-exhaust solution, just like your competitors (Zalman, Thermaltake) do.

The exhaust solution on your Silencers was a big selling point.
Is there any plan to do revisions of this new Accelero series, and provide an exhaust cooling solution like your former Silencers?

Thanks a lot in advance!"

Arctic Cooling Representative Response:

"Dear Oscar

Thank you for your email.
Due to the new technology of the Accelero series by using 6 heat pipes will enable the cooling performance to reach lower levels. Our tests have achieved 39 C/W compared to the stock cooler which reached 95 C/W!

Likewise with level of quietness - we have achieved 0.4 Sone measurement compared to the stock cooler at 1.9 Sone with 2800 RPM.

Attached are specifications for your references.

At this point we are not planning to re-design the Accelero series. I suggest you contact your retailer and purchase one first to test for yourself before buying more for the rest of your company.

We hope the Accelero meets your expectations.

Best regards
ARCTIC COOLING
Customer Support"

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:04 am

It does rightly suck that they've done away with the exhaust. I'm looking for a quiet cooler for an X1800XL, doesn't look like I'll find one that doesn't jump dump all the heat in the case for someone else to deal with :(

(I'm tempted to mod a Silencer if I could be sure to work out which one has the mounting holes in the right place to fit an X1800).