Wow,just wow......zalman vf-700

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stukovx

Wow,just wow......zalman vf-700

Post by stukovx » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:43 pm

I posted a thread asking why my computer was so loud a while ago and ppl suggested I eliminate each source to find out which was causing the sound. Well, after turning off all my fans, I figured out it was my stock cooler on my 6600gt. Well, today, I just installed my vf-700 and ran it on 5v. Amazing. My rig is almost dead silent. All I can hear is the slightest hum from my nexus at 12v and my rapter ticking away(suspended). Not only did the zalman kill the sound, but lowered my temps from 51c to 36c. Big thanks to spcr for helping me go from a lawnmower to a >>insert something noiseless<<. =D

dedogs

Post by dedogs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:39 am

cool, thanks for the info.

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:01 am

Watch out for that slight hum from the Nexus at 12v....
It'll be driving you crazy in a few weeks time. :twisted:

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:30 am

Glad we could help :) Now run for your life before you catch the silence bug! :lol:

It obviously depends on your ambient noise level whats inaudible and whats not, if you say the 12V nexus just makes a very quiet whoosh your ambient noise level must be above mine, since i say the nexus produces a slight whoosh at 450rpm :lol: and i find even that annoying, so run away while you still have the chance :wink:

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 am

They are correct to warn you chile. Run while you still have your sanity and cash.

niknik

Post by niknik » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:17 am

I have one of those in a box, to apply on a gainward 6800GT. But just the tought of having to remove the entire HSF has made me delay that until... I get really FED UP about it! :)

Dirty-Harry

Post by Dirty-Harry » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:59 am

Give it time... on a quiet evening you will soon find another component that is to loud.

My system is near dead silent, however, when my house is completely silent (no TV or radio, etc) I can hear some noise. One of these days I'll try to determine the source of the noise and work on eliminating it. At first guess I would say it is my Hard Drive because it is not suspended in my P180, it is sitting in the default tray.

Congrats on your silent system! :D

stukovx

Post by stukovx » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 pm

Thanks for all your comments. And it is too late, the itch is growing. There is that near silent whooshing sound thats coming either from the zalman or the nexus. Right now I am using an opened lian li case so the sound is louder than it should be. Im just afraid if I close the case, my passive chipset on my dfi nf4 ultra-d will become too hot. Right now its at about 42 degrees without any fan on it. I know these are safely suppose to go up to 50 degrees but I'm still afraid. I may have to remove it and reapply some more arctic silver, might have not put enough last time.

Oh yeah, my florescent lamp drowns out the noise from my pc, but as soon as the lights go off, the hum is audible from 4 ft away. Nothin a little music can't drown out though =P

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:59 pm

nforce4 chipsets are rated for 90C